E track and floor

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
When I get my van i want to put e track and floor in myself this time, it's nice having it done but want to help my wallet a little. So my question is how do you fasten the e track and plywood to floor? Links, YouTube, or any info would help. Is there any advantage using 3/4 instead of 1/2 inch plywood?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bolted the E-track at the door with nuts and bolts. All other, I used self tapping metal bolts in this patten- Right to left of E-track all the way up and no two bolts were side by side. I have a sprinter so had to use some short bolts by the fuel tank. I used 3/4 inch plywood, It's been in here for over 9 years. Just make sure your E-track is even all the way up. After you install the E-track, go to Lowes with your numbers and have them cut your plywood. I had them cut 12' 6" by 4" for each side of the wheel wells and 12' 6" x how ever wide you have to go between the inside of the E-track.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How did attaché the plywood to floor over e track
I used a little bit of Super Glue. Now I can't move the dang thing. It really gets in the way when loading and unloading.
AttachersquoResize_zpsd21d7d21.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist having some fun with your auto-correct typo.

If you have a GM or Ford van with 50" high doors you want to be careful with floor thickness. I glued ⅜ plywood as a sub floor using construction adhesive. I put a dab of adhesive every few feet along the floor ribs. Kinda like Brylcreem. Just enough to hold the plywood.

I then laid the E-Track, making sure the bolt holes lined up with the raised floor ribs. I used stainless steel bolts, nuts and lock washers wherever possible. GM van have sheet metal pan on the underside of the van from the rear forward about 2 feet, making it impossible to run bolts. Here I used self-tapping screws, drilling a small pilot hole first.

Caution: Before drilling any holes make sure you know where you are drilling. There are all kinds of crazyass stuff like gas lines, brake lines, gas tanks etc. on the underside. Be careful!

After the E-Track was secured I filled in the spaces between the runs with ½ composite board planks (½ plywood works fine) screwing it into the subfloor. This installation leaves the E-Track slightly recessed allowing pallets to easily slide along the floor.

At the door end I installed a length of vertical E-Track to protect the ends of the floor and to provide additional securing points. I finished it off by spraying a rubberized undercoating on all of the protruding screw tips and nuts on the under side of the van. I would recommend spending a few bucks more and go with galvanized E-Track.

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Being Winter, and in a hurry, I had people at a trailer utility place install floor and E-trac. It was one sloppy job, and will all have to be redone this summer. If you can, DIY, ask questions, and save some money. I may as well have taken 300.00 out to the back yard and burned it.

It'll be a fun summer though......:D