"Drumming" up Biz

sureshot

Seasoned Expediter
Good day to all,
I am new to this board and this is my first post. I would first like to say that the topics and information included in responses on the forums are top notch.

I am a logistics (warehousing & distribution) professional whom has recently moved into the trucking niche. In order to minimize start-up costs I purchased a 12'x7' enclosed trailer, installed e-track, re-registered my vehicle as "for hire", and purchased appropriate insurance and authorities in the hopes of not attaching myself to one company through lease contract. I have made numerous of loads but have realized that my ability to maximize on capacity is tough going. Return loads are hard to find and deadhead miles are punching me in the gut.

My question is, besides brokers and load boards (internettruckstop.com, 123loadboard.com, Trulos, and expediteloads.com), what would be my first step in drumming up my own business from local or regional companies? Any ideas on types of companies and sales approaches would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and look forward to your learning from your experience.

John

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
They don't know John, they just wait for the funny sound and the blink'in light.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
John I use a packet with a copy of my authority, a insurance certificate, and a business card. I go to local manufacturing companys and talk to whoever arranges for shipping. Sometimes you will get some business and sometimes not. Just keep at it and it will work for you. Col, your comment about the funny sound and blinking light is right on.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ding, red light,ring a ling a ling,calling about load to so and so,you just posted,oh sorry its already gone.thats enough for load board

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Some of the larger companies broker out loads. You may be able to contact someone like panther,fdcc, or tri state to get in touch with that department.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
ding, red light,ring a ling a ling,calling about load to so and so,you just posted,oh sorry its already gone.thats enough for load board
===================================
That speaks volumes on one that doesn't know where to look.
Better off waiting on the red light.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator