Drug Screening: Keeping a Good Man Down

Cygreid

Active Expediter
Hi Everyone, I am so new to this I'm shinny like a penny.
First a little background:
My husband drove over the road back when things were not so complicated, or should I say regulated. Drove for twenty years gave it up in the early ninetys.
Went to work for construction (seasonal work).
My background is technicical trades, wanted to drive and got my CDL B by driving a Schoolbus, also seasonal. I wasn't making enough money and bored with the split shift and crazy kids. I too went into construction.
Met my husband driving a dump truck (construction, seasonal) lots of fun, loved watching something being built. Loved having winters off. Made desent money and lived on unenployment during winters.
My dream is to drive over the road. Have not gotten my Class A, no reason, just like driving my dump truck.
A few years ago I saw a straight truck on the road complete with a sleeper.
Asked around and the guys told me I could drive one of those with a Class B.
Yahooooooo!
Here comes the rub,..
Four years ago, while we were layed off work during the winter, we went to a funeral, sad, crying, telling old stories of a friend my husband smoked a joint/two joints.
Didn't think a thing about it and a few weeks later, the weather broke and we got called back to work.
Had forgotten about the joints, smoking is not our lifestyle.
Test came back, postive for marijuana. Crap.
O.k. Signed up for and sucessfully completed the DOT Back to Work Program. Attended classes, counciling, NA meetings for a year. O.K.
DOT requires this program for you to keep your CDL and to be able to keep driving. Just a note, while you're in the program, you cannot drive, so my husband got a non-driving job.
Now, four years later, It is I that have the itch to be out on the road and see the country. We would like to TEAM drive. Checking with several companies, they won't touch my husband with a ten foot pole until the five year mark, some companies said seven years.
Please,.. How can we get back to driving?????
This is a good man with a good driving record, he made a stupid mistake in a moment of grief and is now paying out the ### for five years???!!!!
Seems a little harsh. What else can we do?,..we did what the DOT asked him to do, complete the Program, and now he can't get a job driving. Everyone says it's the insurance companies. He is willing to pee in a cup every month and pay for it himself if that would let him get back on the road.
This dream of being on the road is mine, he says, "what ever you want honey" that's the kind of man I married.
Help me with some wisdom, how can they keep such a good man down?
I think even pilots, who flunk a drug test, can complete a program and then go back to flying.
Any advise would be welcome. Try not to be ****ty, we are good people.
Thank you - love and kisses

Cygreid

Active Expediter
No just panther, they were nice enough to send me here. I see all the companies, and am reading as much as I can to see, like everyone else, who would be a good fit for us, I guess I'll have to apply and just take what I can get, but I'd like to be a little pickeier than that.
was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction of a company that treats people well and still be with a good company. Any suggestions?

Cygreid

Active Expediter
I see all of the companies listed, and like everyone else, I'm trying to read everything I can and find a Company that would be a good fit for us, (travel with our Jack Russell). I've read some posts and am trying to avoid the companies that everyone says are not worth it. I know the drill, the rookies are excited and not really listening to the old timers, the old timers are sick of rookies and their dumb mistakes. I'm taking it all in and I just don't want to waste our time or theirs. Any suggestions??

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The usual advice in 'touchy' situations is to try the smaller carriers, and maybe it works - but honestly, it IS the insurance companies that decide who can be covered, and how many insurance companies are there? Or, more accurately, how many who will take a 'bigger risk' than the others?
I hope I'm wrong, because you seem to deserve the chance, but I just don't see an insurance company being willing to give it to you.
Keep trying, though - I've been wrong before!
;)

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
If it was more than 4 years ago, I would not list the violation on an application, unless the applications states to list a longer time period.

Review the little green Safety Regulations Handbook for how far back Carriers are required to obtain previous Controlled Substance and Alcohol testing information from previous employers. See 40.25 - it states that Carriers "must obtain this information from DOT-regulated employers who have employed the employee during any period during the two years before the date of the employee's application or transfer". I will tell you that most Carriers will not provide any positive testing infomation older than two years old.

I am NOT telling you to falsify any application, nor am I providing any legal advice. Just sharing the regulation with you.

Hope this helps you.

Cygreid

Active Expediter
Thanks so much for this advise, and I do not want to falseify any aapplication.
The comon question on the applications is: Have you every failed or refused to take a drug test?
It's the word EVER that gets us every time. More thoughts??

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am a carrier with my own authority so I am looking at this from the carriers side and dollars and sense.
I will try to answer this with as much sensitivity as I can but common sense is not jelling with this.
Please correct me if I have any of the facts wrong......
1) You and your husband have years and miles for experiance.
2) This happened four years ago so you knew that drug testing is done, it goes on your D.A.C. and you are unemployable for a positive screen.
3) He smoked two joints not just a hit or two.
4) He is upset he cant get hired because the insurance companies see him as a major liability.
Think abbout it even if he were hired the cost to insure him would be unacceptably high and posiably beyond the threshold of cost vs profit per truck. You see its not personal no matter how decent of a person you and your husband are its business. lets say it costs ten thousand to insure a truck and solo driver per year with a clean record. This with all the other expenses and expected profit per truck to determine the rates they charge. If the insurance costs thirteen grand that can easily make that truck a major liability not a profitable decision unfortunately its abbout the money.
If you can possiably find somone who will hire your husband they will be watching verry closely
hopefuly he makes better decisions down the road. You may want to consider your own truck,
authority, and insurance if you can get it and go in as an owner opperator.

Good luck
Bob Wolf.

Cygreid

Active Expediter
Dear Bob

O.k.
Let me get these facts straight, and correct ME if I am wrong.
EXAMPLE:
Lets, Just say I work for a company, and I have a serious drug/alcohol problem, I can go to Human Resorces and tell them, I need help. I go to treatment, complete it sucessfully and the company hires me back, because I went to treatment.
The company didn't catch me in a drug screen, I told them. So I was out driving around in their truck under the influence.
Remember, my husband wasn't driving, we were off season from a construction company.
Tell me how this policy is any different??? Tell me how the company pays for that and the insurance says ok.
The DOT program my husband completed says, o.k.
The DOT.
They have the "Back to Work" program in place for a reason. To put good drivers back to work.
Tell me what part of this isn't jelling with you???
Thanks for the help Bob.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
It was a positive test. You didnt tell them he used a drug once. Its is up to the carriers insurance whether they want to take a chance with him.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
honestly in a case like this you would be better off just getting your own authority and running yourself

your insurance may or may not be a little higher I never ran across that problem but if your out of work and really want a job create one for yourself.you will make more than what you would as a owner/op leased on and it will more than cover the difference in the cost of insurance.
there are services that even as a one truck company you can use to help you with compliance issues.I am a small carrier myself I use Foley Carrier Services | DOT Compliance and Transportation Factoring to keep me in compliance with all the drug testing and stuff.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
He made a dumb mistake and will need to face the consequences of that dumb mistake. Why don't you run solo until he gets cleared? It gives you guys the opportunity to learn the ropes and systems of your chosen carrier.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Stupid something so harmless as drinking a few beers has these consequences.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Insurance companies RULE THE WORLD, its why we bailed out the Biggest one back when Obama took office, I think I would get my own authority and run and find your own load, wait a year when these records should be purged and go back to a carrier. Its not right when the BACK TO WORK program doesnt put you back to work. What is a drivers impetus to be honest and open as this person did. Insurance companies, Credit reports, MVR Reports, DAC they all figure into your trucking careers today, Guard them, and protect them. I hope you find a carrier who understand s what BACK TO WORK, and second chance means, but dont be surprised when testing is hoisted upon you at the strangest times.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
On a light note, my wife get a random drug test almost quarterly. I was joking with her that it was because of her being Latino. My brother figured it out; " It's common knowledge that's she's driving around the country with some dope .". Of course, that "dope" would be me.