Droid battery pull

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How often do you other Droid users have to do a battery pull to fix an issue? I seem to be at about once a month to take care of connecting to my bluetooth or getting my e-mail.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Never have pulled the battery. I have had to reboot the phone a few times a month by holding the on button down for like 10 seconds. I have the orginal 1st gen Motorola Droid

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I usually pull mine every couple weeks. The tech where I got mine told me it was good for it and will keep down problems.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Battery pulls should only be done if the phone freezes up. It won't hurt the phone or the battery to do lots of pulls, but it's really unnecessary unless the phone stops responding. I too have a Seidio case, and a thick, extended battery (original Droid), and doing a battery pull is a bit of a PITA with the Seidio case, 'cause you gotta remove the case. I've only had to do a battery pull maybe half a dozen times.

The phone is a computer first and foremost, and like most of 'em you need to reboot them once in a while. I reboot mine probably a couple of times a week, tho I should probably do it more often. It just clears the CPU's head and gets things back operating more efficiently. It should be a hard boot,meaning shut it down, then start it back up. There are a lot of phones with a certain version of the OS where you push and hold the power button and select "Power Off" and instead of powering off it shuts down and does an immediate soft reboot. If that happens, wait until it gets to the stage where it mounts the SD card, then hold down the power button again and this time it should go ahead and power down for real. Then hold the button down for 3 or 4 seconds to initiate a boot.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Mine will freeze up when Adobe sends an update. No choice but to pull the battery then.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Mine will freeze up when Adobe sends an update. No choice but to pull the battery then.
Adobe sends updates? Huh? How? Are they pushing updates? Do you have Adobe apps flagged to automatically update? I've never received an Adobe update other than the ones I go to the Marketplace and download, and I run both Flash and Reader.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Battery pulls should only be done if the phone freezes up. It won't hurt the phone or the battery to do lots of pulls, but it's really unnecessary unless the phone stops responding. I too have a Seidio case, and a thick, extended battery (original Droid), and doing a battery pull is a bit of a PITA with the Seidio case, 'cause you gotta remove the case. I've only had to do a battery pull maybe half a dozen times.

The phone is a computer first and foremost, and like most of 'em you need to reboot them once in a while. I reboot mine probably a couple of times a week, tho I should probably do it more often. It just clears the CPU's head and gets things back operating more efficiently. It should be a hard boot,meaning shut it down, then start it back up. There are a lot of phones with a certain version of the OS where you push and hold the power button and select "Power Off" and instead of powering off it shuts down and does an immediate soft reboot. If that happens, wait until it gets to the stage where it mounts the SD card, then hold down the power button again and this time it should go ahead and power down for real. Then hold the button down for 3 or 4 seconds to initiate a boot.

I have an early phone and the power off button does the soft reboot, I'll have to try the real power down. Even when my phone freezes the power button will power down my phone.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine offers an option screen after about 3-4 seconds continuous press of the power button. One option is power off. It seems to totally power off as the next 3-4 second power hold starts from the SAMSUNG screen and goes from there.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's mostly the original Droid and Droid X running 2.2 and 2.2.2, but there be a few others. It's OS version specific.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an X. I do "power off" reboots from time to time, but probably not enough. Like Tenntrucker, I was told by Verizon that pulling the battery was a good way to clear up issues, but I'll try shutting it down more often to see if that helps. Thanks for the info!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I'm also pulling my battery every couple of days but only since the 2.3.3 update and it seems to be a conflict with the launcher I'm using.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I'm also pulling my battery every couple of days but only since the 2.3.3 update and it seems to be a conflict with the launcher I'm using.

You should get a more powerful launcher, one that can launch that phone a few blocks away....problem solved. :D

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Adobe sends updates? Huh? How? Are they pushing updates? Do you have Adobe apps flagged to automatically update? I've never received an Adobe update other than the ones I go to the Marketplace and download, and I run both Flash and Reader.

What happens is they send a notification through Market that there is an update available. When the notification comes, that is when it freezes. I get notified of updates on all my apps through Market, then I do them when I feel like it. I don't let anything auto-update.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK, thanks for that clarification. I have a few apps set to auto-update, but not many. Have to be careful about that.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
OK, thanks for that clarification. I have a few apps set to auto-update, but not many. Have to be careful about that.

Exactly...next thing you know, you have things on your phone you never asked for or your phone develops Bieber Fever.