Driving tractor trailer for panther expedited

Seasoned Expediter
I live in tampa,florida and have an owner that has a team postion available with panther. Do they operate like fed ex can you give me pros and cons would go with fed ex but they have no opening for tractor trailer drivers. I drove for fed ex d-unit w/g 1 year want to get back in e unit. Thanks

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Been with panther for 8 yrs. O/O T/T we run as a Hubby /wife team. Tampa is not a good frt area for Panther but then fact is, don't think Van frt in Fl. is good for any company. We get freight in but hard to get out. Freight is picking up and we have been doing much better this year then we did last. Never been with FECC so I can't tell you the difference.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I beg to differ, not regarding PII... But with other co.'s. Outside of Expedited Freight= Freight is good into FL. Generally speaking, from Expedited and General Freight... Tampa is questionable. Orlando is better for freight in and out. As is Jacksonville, FL. Reason being is that Orlando being @ the FL turnpike, freight is often shuttled south by regional carriers. Jacksonville, being by I-10, and I-95, freight can go either way, as well as off of I-10 down south thru 301 and other routes by regional carriers. Tampa freight out is kinda rare at times. Tampa is by I-75, and I-4, and there's a large metro area there as you know, but freight out is still rare. You will probably find yourself shuttling short loads from Tampa to other cities in the region of upstate FL and GA. Orlando freight can get you out easily, as can Jacksonville freight. Jacksonville freight "usually" goes to Atlanta or westbound somewhere- but sometimes north up 95 as well. Orlando goes to jacksonville or to Atlanta often times. I would consider relocating if you had an option to, or find a regional carrier to lease onto with if you wanted to keep your rig busy in the southeast.

Seasoned Expediter
Well that persons truck was not what i expected so onward i look. Im trying to find regional carrier in orlando area. Problem is i have 4 years tractor trailer experience driving lp gas tankers and dry van freight. Only intra-state no over the road. I have 1 year otr with fed ex w/g but it was d-unit 40 ft straight truck that doesnt count. So will keep on looking thanks for input. Be safe william

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I just talked to a recruiter from Heartland Express about someone who used to work for me. I still don't know why they called but it was a good conversation. Learned a lot about them.

They have some openings in that area. It seems to be as good as a company can be.

A few weeks back I talked to a manager at Marten and he said they have some work down there but we didn't get into that, I was interested in the Northwest.

Also if you like the Big Box companies, like FedEx, try their ground division and UPS - both have some regional work.

Seasoned Expediter
Greg,
i have talked heartland express, they have new pro star tractors but new recruits get old innternational 9400i, also been in contact with fed ex ground it went no where. Called every other day to find out next step to deaf ears. Ups down here no way i have a couple freinds work there been trying no luck. Heartland has jacksonville regional been talking to recruiter there named shane.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well FedEx has some sort of issue with their recruiters, some are idiots and never return calls while others fall all over them sleves to help out. I did some leg work for a friend who was deployed in the Middle East, I ended up calling the terminal near their home and talking to the manager there who helped out. You can also try FedEx Supply Chain, I don't have my phone book with me so I can't give out numbers but they seem to be friendly and helped a few I know getting on the road.

Well I don't see what's wrong with a Int 9400, if that gets me into the driver's seat and working. It isn't about the truck but the work - right? I would still push forward anyway because if you are not driving now, it seems to be a good idea to get moving.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
If Panther still allows OO to book their own brokered loads, take one to GA or SC and then get into the loop for expedites from a better area that way.

Seasoned Expediter
Greg, im currently driving 53 ft dry van now but only state of florida some people would say im crazy but i would like to drive southeastern states. With no otr not many options. Like i said have run d-unit fed ex but that wont count. Im told after csa 2010 starts up there will be some openings. William