driving job

fireman1552

Active Expediter
I am looking for a job driving a straight truck. I have been trying four years to get my own truck but it is hard. I would be interested in a lease to purchase.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am looking for a job driving a straight truck. I have been trying four years to get my own truck but it is hard. I would be interested in a lease to purchase.

Welcome to our forums and very sorry to hear about you work problems.

The first thing you must consider is that, for the most part, expediting is not a job. You would be in business for yourself. It is not a good idea to come into this business short on cash. By that I mean a minimum of 6 months total expense money in the bank PLUS start up money. A year worth of expenses, even better.

I don't want to throw a wet towel on you, I just think you should know this up front.

Go back over as many past posts as you can stand. Concentrate on those about cargo vans and sprinters to get an idea about what can be earned and how hard one must work to earn it. I can't help with the van/sprinter facts, the wife and I drive a straight truck.

I am sure other will chime in soon. I am also NOT saying that coming in with little won't work, it just makes it very hard. All it would take is one bad week to put you out of business.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. As you read more you can refine your questions to more specific topics.

This is a good life and you can do well, IF and only IF, you plan well before you start.

I did a copy and paste on this because I just wrote it 5 minutes ago and posted it in the newbie section. It fits here too.

Watch out with lease/purchase, while there are some that may be OK, there are many that are not. Good luck.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can start driving for a fleet.owner. You certainly dont need six months expense money to do that. It does depend on what kind of monthly bills you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be sure you can cover your house, food, power bills etc. Come out without back up money and a business plan and it won't take too many bad days or weeks to send you packing. I don't wish to discourage anyone, BUT, I don't want to read a post in a couple of months how you need money to get back to the house because expediting does not allow you to cover your costs.

I agree with xiggi, drive for an owner to start. It does lower your start up costs. Then you only have to have money in the bank to cover your personal bills and costs.

As Lawrence said, check out the classifieds here for owners looking for drivers.