Driving for a Fleet Owner

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Marvin, Kevin, or whatever

Since you are making big assumptions about fleet owners, are we to assume (you know what they say) that you have the same opinion of drivers?

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ya know..... a funny thing happend yesterday ...... hours after reading this thread.......
i got a memo in my email from my fleet owners office.......
on calling the office during office hours and etc.. and not to call late unless its a emergency ...... heh.....

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
That only makes sense, after all there are only so many hours in a day that you can work. BUT I wonder how much in lost revenue it cost a large fleet owner, because of newbies making silly and or stupid mistakes after hours.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That only makes sense, after all there are only so many hours in a day that you can work. BUT I wonder how much in lost revenue it cost a large fleet owner, because of newbies making silly and or stupid mistakes after hours.

Could be quite costly under certain circumstances.
We are usually available 24/7
May not be the same person that answers the phone all of the time, but always available.
Even more so with someone new, "the dumbest questions are the ones that aren't asked".

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well finaly a Fleeter states hes available 24-7 for Emerg. Not the 10A to 2P (Example) Or the (Deal With it Attitude). I appalud ya.
I will admit this there are Drivers that dont want to work. Just like there are Fleeters that dont have a maint fund. For that they are VIVID in using the Term Deal with it to there Driver.
As in many cases there are good the bad and the Ugly.
Somtimes a good person can turn bad when the Deal with it Attitude has been used and all but worn out or Promised things and put in writting only to be all false. Goes to both sides of the Coin.
If Your realy a person of your word then U have nothing to worrie about and can rest assured as long as u do whats right it will work out. It dont matter weather your a driver or a OOP. Like I said there are bad drivers and there are bad Fleet Owners. Making money is whats all about but not at the Drives Expense or peril. On last thing if you still got your fleet then its obivious U doing somthing right, iF you lost Ur Fleet the only one U got to blame is U.:)
A Logging Truck with a Cherry Picker thats a total package monie maker for sure.

Last edited:

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
As a fleet owner I like it when my drivers call me to ask me questions. I keep my phone on 24 hours a day. They will not empty move without me giving the okay. I enjoy being involved in the decision making process and helping when I can. I will call into Panther to get advice about an area and I will try to book backhauls if I can help out.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
We are one of those owners who DO make ourselves available to our drivers 24/7. Each driver has all our cell phone #'s, home/office #, fax #, and even our email address. All our drivers know that they can contact us at any time, day or night, with any concern, comment, or question that they may have. Every owner out there has their own way of doing things and just because this way works the best for us, it might not work the best for someone else.
Guess what I'm trying to say is: what works the best for one person (owner or driver), might not work the best for someone else. It's not saying that that particular way is right or wrong, just that everyone finds what works the best for them and goes with it till it no longer works. Then they try something different.

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
We have a fleet of vans with Panther and I try to always be accessible between my home and cell, my wife's cell, fathers cell, and father in laws cell. Our drivers have all of this information. For the most part I don't think there are complaints from the drivers that are doing their jobs, because they are only calling for suggestions or if there is a repair. I find the drivers that call a lot to complain, well it shows up in their numbers. Also the driver that will call so many times and never leave a message if you are busy. I feel that if it is important enough to call, then leave a message so we can help you quicker. Being an owner/manager is like a driver a 24/7 job, and there are sometimes when you want a break of a few hours or a day for family time. If its an emergency or repair, I always answer that call and attempt to get the ball rolling to get them repaired. I don't have the fancy house or nice cars like someone else mentioned, but I do have a big family (7 kids) so I am interested / invested in the drivers success, so we succeed. Even with the money generated the profit margins are shrinking to where it is hard to keep going. I know the drivers have a hard job, but owners have a tough job as well.

Reactions: 1 person