Drivers From a Fleet Owner Perspective

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Jeff Jensen did a nice piece entitled, "Drivers From a Fleet Owner Perspective." It can be read at: http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/expeditedtruckers-fleetowners.html

For first-time drivers looking for fleet owners, this is a good piece to read. If you are a prospective driver, it is smart to look at things from the fleet owner's point of view as well as your own.

I recommend interviewing several fleet owners before choosing one. Ask them what their idea of a good driver or team is. Use that information to ask better questions and demonstrate your undersanding of fleet owner needs in the next interview.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Intresting read, One question though. Newbees, does not appear niether hires Solo, or Newbees. Thus would it not be intresting if Jeff did an article on how to enter the business being a Newbee, and how to become profitable?

The problem I see with wanting into this business as a Newbee, it #1 finding an owner that you can actually make enough money with to make a living, not a decent living just a living. Second is if you find this finding an owner who is not gona screw you over.

Personally, if I were looking into this industry being a Newbee, or looking to team with a (stranger). I would not consider this at least not to make a living. Its been done, I am sure. Todays business climate makes it nearly impossible to make a living wage entering into this industry in someone elses truck. (Solo or Stranger Team) So if you can manage on 0 youve got an edge I did not have.

Different Opinions welcomed

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We always hear from drivers who got a "raw deal" - there are also fleet owners who have experienced the same kind of aggravation and loss of revenue.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We always hear from drivers who got a "raw deal" - there are also fleet owners who have experienced the same kind of aggravation and loss of revenue.
=======================================
How true and often not represented because to the overall driver population, there are few fleet owners by comparison.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'd say of all the owners I've driven for, 1/3 were good, 1/3 were ok, and 1/3 were just out to screw the drivers/ didn't know what they were doing/ couldn't manage squat if they tried. That's not that great of a track record. I doubt the numbers are really that bad anymore, since it's easier to raise a stink about bad owners.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas