DRIVERS BEWARE, DELIVERING IN NEW YORK STATE.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Hi Everybody:
I want to share my biggest nighmare with all of you.

I was making a delivery downtown New York driving through a construction zone for it seemed like hours at speeds of ten miles per hour on the freeway, millions of thought less drivers in cars all over me while I was trying to find my turn off while trying not to run into anybody while driving a big Commercial truck.

Well I made a wrong tern and was trying to get back on the truck route and was pulled over by a cop and was issued three tickets all for the same violation, I than was making my way back from Queens and was pulled over again by a different cop and was issued another ticket! It did not matter what I had to say.

Here is where the real fun starts.
I was told to go onto the Internet to plea guilty or not guilty etc, and after many attempts of imputing all the required information ticket numbers etc, I kept getting rejected no matter what I did!
I was than advised to contact a DMV office, ok lets try that. After several more hours of dialing prefexes to atleast fifteen different DMV offices all I ended-up with is press one, two, no phone information or contact information, and heaven for-bid no human contact at all.

So I called the NY City Police, another hour of different floors before I was advised to contact the NY State Police, commercial truck devision. I actually talked to a State Trooper who told me after I had asked him twice if I would receive any points for the four tickets I received? Because speeding was not involved and I do not live in NY State I would not receive any points against my Mich. Drivers license.

A couple of weeks later I receive another bill for $300 for a Driver Responsibility Assessment due to my six points I received for my tickets. Now I'm really Pi---d off.

I have a perfect driving record my whole life with no tickets or accidents that I caused, and I'm really concerned if this is going to effect my Mich. Drivers license? I was told I would not receive any points against my Mich. Drivers license but I would have a record in the State of NY. "is that going to hurt my Insurance? since I will not have any points against my Mich. Drivers license.

Can anybody (PLEASE) help me better understand if I should worry about this, and If I should hire an Atorney to plead not guilty after I have been railroaded and ripped-off in NY State.

I would not advise anybody to haul any freight any where NY or you will be sorry. Average speeds on the highway is around ten miles per hour, and stop & go on the freeway will only tare out your clutch and tie up your whole day. (Talk about a freek show)

Is there any organishion or service provider that represents Truck Drivers who are getting ripped-off by traffic tickets.

Truck drivers are the unsung heroes of our Country living out of our trucks for weeks at a time, delivering freight so we can make People's lives more convienent, but we are viuwed as low-life scum bags by most Police, or treated like second rate citizens viuwed by a lot of the public.

Garman351

x( x( x(

gbuck302000

Seasoned Expediter
garmin i would definitely pursue getting these tickets off your record.even though they may not carry any point assessment they will reflect on your dmv when your company pulls it every 12 months.most companies only allow 3 violations in a three year period.dosn't matter if they are speeding or not.i speak from experience i was a owner/operator for nine yrs my company disqualified me in march because of too many violations. i only had i actual speeding ticket in the previous 3 yrs the rest were other violations like wrong lane..none truck route..failure to obey traffic signals..etc all no point violations. i would recommend contacting someone @ road law they have reopened some of my prior convictions and have gotten them removed.it will be easier to get removed if pleading not guilty in the first place. they will prbly get them reduced to a parking violation if not completely dropped.i don't have there # handy but i think it's roadlaw.com or just do a search and it will come up..i had to sell my 2003 peterbilt over the same situation and have been unemployed since..it's definitely worth a little time and money to get it cleared up...good luck!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A driver's CDL is one of his or her most important assets. No CDL, no truck-driving career. One's CDL should be protected at all costs. Law firms that serve truck drivers advertise in trucking publications. They are familiar with each state's system. While Diane and I have never had cause to call, we keep the numbers of those firms handy just in case.

No matter what kind of ticket we might receive - be it points or not, moving violation or not, home state or other state - we would hire an attorney to protect our best interests. It's not about the ticket. It's not about what is fair or unfair. It's not about how much money an attorney may charge to work the case. It's about protecting our CDLs. Again, one's CDL should be protected at all costs.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I tore NYC out of my atlas a long time ago. Things like this are another reason why. Good luck getting it cleared up.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Garman:
Don't be so sure that they will not end up on your Mich license. When the CDL was inacted part of that law said that all states were to be online to recieve all states DMV reports. As of Jan 1st the federal gov said that any state that was not online would no longer recieve federal road money. Due to the lack of money in all states i'm sure there is no one state that is not doing this. Call OOIDA they can hook you up with a good attorny in NY. 53' 102" are not allowed in NY city or its bourrou's (sp) So we don't go ever no exceptions. Conpany say other's do it. I say not this truck.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Hi Everybody:
I talked to an Attorney in NY who deals in traffic ticket matters for Truckers. I'm getting mixed messages from him as to if the NY points will hurt me or not? He is looking into the matter and will contact me as to if they can help me or not, before they will charge me anything.

Very nice man who talked to me for about one hour, without dealing with Secretarys etc. I will give you his name and phone info incase somebody else is nailed by the NY cops.

No money in the world will ever take me back there again!

Richard Wool Attorney
(888) 782-5849

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Several factors go into if I'm accepting a NY run or not. I only go to Jamaica Queens (JFK area) or Long Island. Has to be at least 1000 mi run. Get in and out outside of rush hour. Run time has to consider I'm in NY traffic. I haven't been to the Bronx yet, and may try it. But I'm a truck driver, not playing hopscotch, so jumping up and down streets as bad as NYC has to be friendly to what I'm driving. If I had control over the load, and there's plenty of money into it (TX or CA to NYC), I'd consider hiring a local company to make the drop.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ive been running new york all my trucking life,any trailer over 45' isnt permitted into manhatten without a special permit,and none of the expedite companies can get one,as new york says just load it on straight trucks and send them,you can deliver in the borrous,they dont usually do anything with the larger trailers.I'm not sure where you got this ticket,but you will need to contact a lawyer,it will draw points in ny and get sent to michigan,also,dont get cought with log book fine in ny,its a felony.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Nightcreature/ATeams advice. RIGHT ON.

As for ripping a map out of an Atlas. Only if one could afford to be so pickey-Congratulations on the lottery winnings.

Always, in any ticket with a CDL. Find a lawyer.

back in 82 I was pulled over for 70 in a 55 WV I -77 mm 13 NB at about 1AM early in January. Was TOLD just pay the ticket no points will be issued. Told MI and WV do not share the same system. One year later got another ticket, three weeks later got Canceled by insurance. Premiums after that were over 2K a year for two years. Than got called in by Michigan DMV to surreneder license. Why WV ticket was a wreckless, by their system 1-4 2pts5-9 3 pts 10-14 4pts 15 and over Wreckless driving. And Yes MI and WV to share info. At 22 I just took the officers advice, BAD ADVICE, after talking to my father ( a law officer himself) he could not believe that any cop would have been offering such lousey advice since I was not cocky, I knew I was speeding, just thought it was 13 over. If the cop was any kinda of a decent person he would have written it for 14 just to save ones but. He was not rude at all while giving me the ticket. It was all to late to get a lawyer.

So no matter what always get a LAWYER WHEN IT COMES TO ONES living.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
be carefull the lawyer you pick also,I lost my contract to fed ex in 2002,was gone for 3 years til my tickets dropped off,lawyer plea bargined a wreck to 2 speed tickets under 5mph over but never the less it was 2 tickets,i already had 1,con-way people were great to work with,but lost my butt