Driver Cams?

dalejrroks

Active Expediter
Having a camera under your control (you own and control it) facing forward could save you a ton of headaches. I have a friend who drives for Landstar and has had his camera save him a couple of times. Once he was heading into a construction zone and at the point it went down to one lane he had a car try to fly around him before the right lane ended. Well she didn't make it and nearly tore off his front bumper. After the state police showed up and interviewed the other driver (who was on the ground screaming of massive pain) and her family he approached my friend who stayed in his truck because of the family getting out of the car and shouting threats. My friend didn't say anything at first just simply showed the trooper the video of her reckless driving and the investigation into what happened ended right there. When the trooper told the woman she was being charged her pain suddenly went away and was able to stand up and argue with the trooper lol.

So a camera under my control facing forward and not transmitting a feed to anyone else is a good thing. Having them cover all directions would be great as well. As for a carrier requiring me have their camera, that they can watch that faces forward and has no audio while questionable I might try it. However if they want a camera on me or in my sleeper and recording audio. I would be looking for a new place to work. I value my rights and my privacy and refuse to give them up willingly or by a carrier demanding it.

Reactions: Deville and TDave

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know I want one, just comparison shopping now, but the one question I haven't found an answer to is whether they all operate off the 12V outlet? I have only one, and really don't want to add more 'stuff' to it [already alternating between Garmin & charging the mp3 on long drives]. Do any have an AC plug? And must they be plugged in constantly?
I once was hit by a flatbed pulling out of the spot beside me in a truckstop, [I know which truck it was from the hay all over the hood, lol] so it could be useful even when not driving, but the power consumption is a consideration, too.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Install it, pointing out only. If it points in there will be problems. 1st it would be covered all the time. and if that doesn't work, I'll be looking for another job.
I for one would prefer the systems TT use where there is more than 1 camera record front, sides and in the vans also the to the rear.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheri, I use a triple-outlet that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Further, because of power problems with the cigarette lighter socket I wired up a power-plug from an R/C car to provide power to the triple outlet. Not hard at all, really. So, 12 volt power is rather easy to figure.
Now--- If I do this, it goes without saying a forward-facing camera gets the dibs. It sees what the driver sees. If I can get cameras for the blind spots, so much the better. Wiring them in might be a bit of a problem, but the rewards clearly outweigh the problems so I would do this. They DO make cameras that cover the rear of the van--- I've seen one of these set-ups in action in a neighbor's car, so--- yes I would do this. The only camera I have an issue with is the company camera pointed at me. That is a major problem, one I still don't see a good work-around for this as of yet.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Muchas gracias, Mj, for the info. I don't do wiring, [got a serious electrical shock once, it took years for me to even change a light bulb after that, lol], but I may get it done when the dash panel gets put back where it belongs. [And was, until a Carrier tech messed it up in the course of fixing something else.] It's always something, eh?:rolleyes: