drive away/ tow away

DOWNEASTER

Expert Expediter
i was looking through the classifieds and saw an ad for drive away/ tow away......sounded somewhat interesting, but alot of deadheading for o pay. any of you guys know anthing about this type of job?.income etc..... thanks for all your input on my earlier posting. also this is probably askinf too much, but if any of you"ll are at the I-95/US-64 split in roocky mount, nc. im offering you a hot meal,hot bath, and a warm bed for the night (if you are a decent human being}. in return i would like to see a expidite truck and talk to an experenced driver to really find out about this business. i live 1/8 mile off i-95 easy access to my house e-mail me if anyone is willing to offer this info. thanks:)

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
I HAVE NOT HEARD ABOUT DRIVE AWAY/TOW AWAY..BUT I CAN SHOW U A TRUCK AND TELL YOU ABOUT EXPEDITING. I LIVE IN ROCKY POINT, NC, JUST NORTH OF WILMINGTON. WE COULD MEET HALFWAY SOMETIME OR IF YOU PLAN ON BEING DOWN MY WAY FOR SIGHTSEEING OR ANYTHING, YOU COULD STOP IN. LET ME KNOW.

JimR

Expert Expediter
These are terms used in the motor home and travel trailer delivery trade. Drive away is when you deliver a motor home by driving it yourself. Tow away is when you use your truck and deliver a travel trailer. Be careful of the damage liability on this type of driving.

hound dog

Active Expediter
I use to do this kind of work for horizon transport out of northern IND. It is job that pays so much a mile to deliver RV,s or motor homes all over the USA. it pays good and I had a tow bar on my pick up truck. I would drive there rv and tow my pick up truck with me and after you deliver the rv, I just unhooked my pick up and drove back home. But you have to pay for ALL of the gas there and back. So if you do this you need to make sure it pays good to pay your way back home.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
There are other types of drive away out there.I drove for dealers choice out of KC mo.made real good money.all it was doing was bobtailing.most of the time picking up trade-ins from dealers and taking them to storage lots.Picking up trucks at storage lots taking them to different ports to be sent overseas.Some times pick up trucks and take them to dealers/companys.
There is good money to be made if you have the right tools.you pay for your own fuel but there are ways around that like buying a fuel pump.get a tow car or truck.I made better money doing that then driving this box truck but it is a much harder way of life.you are in a different truck every day or every few days.That means moving your stuff every time.If you want you can PM me and ill give you my number answer any questions i can about drive away.:D

I will say there is not really any sitting around waiting.for a load/truck.not really alot of DH either.Most of the time when you drop at a storage lot you are picking up as same lot.Also they (dealers choice)really was no forced dispatch.You turn down a truck 5 mins later they call with another truck.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use to do this kind of work for horizon transport out of northern IND. It is job that pays so much a mile to deliver RV,s or motor homes all over the USA. it pays good and I had a tow bar on my pick up truck. I would drive there rv and tow my pick up truck with me and after you deliver the rv, I just unhooked my pick up and drove back home. But you have to pay for ALL of the gas there and back. So if you do this you need to make sure it pays good to pay your way back home.

There are other types of drive away out there.I drove for dealers choice out of KC mo.made real good money.all it was doing was bobtailing.most of the time picking up trade-ins from dealers and taking them to storage lots.Picking up trucks at storage lots taking them to different ports to be sent overseas.Some times pick up trucks and take them to dealers/companys.
There is good money to be made if you have the right tools.you pay for your own fuel but there are ways around that like buying a fuel pump.get a tow car or truck.I made better money doing that then driving this box truck but it is a much harder way of life.you are in a different truck every day or every few days.That means moving your stuff every time.If you want you can PM me and ill give you my number answer any questions i can about drive away.:D

I will say there is not really any sitting around waiting.for a load/truck.not really alot of DH either.Most of the time when you drop at a storage lot you are picking up as same lot.Also they (dealers choice)really was no forced dispatch.You turn down a truck 5 mins later they call with another truck.

You guys do realize the original post is 8 years old don't you? :eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys do realize the original post is 8 years old don't you? :eek:

That could explain why the original poster reneged on his offer for a hot meal, hot bath, and a warm bed for the night (if you are a decent human being) when I showed up on his front porch yesterday morning. Or maybe I failed the decent human being part.