DPF Filter

junkpickup

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
Need to get my DPF Filter cleaned. I can take out the muffler looking thing that holds the filter. My question is do I bring that whole thing to get baked? Or do I need to open it up to access the filter? For last two days we have run the dpr at least 5 times per day. I'm worried this could get expensive. It is an 2008 268a with 300,000 miles. The filter was last cleaned at about 180000 miles.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
You likely have temp sensor issues or poor airflow. Turbo, intercooler, ITV, etc. Inspect the turbo. If it binds up at all when youre spinning it, it's bad. Be critical.

junkpickup

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
You likely have temp sensor issues or poor airflow. Turbo, intercooler, ITV, etc. Inspect the turbo. If it binds up at all when youre spinning it, it's bad. Be critical.[

Hi greasyshirt
Thanks for Helping out again. I saw an old thread about the sensors and got some new ones. Having trouble getting the old sensors out. Heated them up and still no luck.

The truck is an 08 with 305k miles. It is getting a bit worn.

Any tips on getting the sensors out?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
You might have to use heat.

They often break and you have to drill them out.

It's an odd size thread pitch.

junkpickup

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
You might have to use heat.

They often break and you have to drill them out.

It's an odd size thread pitch.

Breaking those and drilling them out sounds dangerous and risky for me. Such an expensive part! It might be worth trying. I know the dealer will not spend to much time on it. They will just replace it the whole unit.

Looks like I have to take some pipes off to spin the turbo by hand?

Thanks for all you help over the years. These post are a lot of help and savings for small business owners running hinos. Gives me the confidence to attempt my own repairs. Then yesterday I pull a bone head move and put my new batteries in the wrong way. Blew the 140amp alternator fuse. Luckily that is all that happened. Lesson learned. Don’t depend the colors on the wire.

Need an address and size to send some company swag.

Reactions: RoadTime

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yes, pull the aluminum intake elbow off so you can get to the compressor wheel. Watch the alternator wires, you've had enough fireworks!

The temp sensors usually unscrew, but not always. I have a Snap-On 14mm wrench with these little teeth on the inside that get a good bite. Rarely does the sensor break off. Mangling the threads is fairly common though. The tap size is something like 12x1.25, but I'll have to confirm that.

junkpickup

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
Dealer says I need new injectors. $5200. Expensive fix. Second time getting new injectors.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Dealer says I need new injectors. $5200. Expensive fix. Second time getting new injectors.

Unfortunately, bad injectors are the most common root cause of regen issues on Hinos.

You might want to shop around on that price.