DPF acting odd

rhitrucking

Active Expediter
Had the DPF replaced about 60k miles ago. Just recently, when watching the bar display for dpr, after getting to 1 bar, it jumps to 3 bars within 10 miles. I am getting about 70 miles before it regens.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Had the DPF replaced about 60k miles ago. Just recently, when watching the bar display for dpr, after getting to 1 bar, it jumps to 3 bars within 10 miles. I am getting about 70 miles before it regens.
What year truck? What else was done at time of DPF replacement? The DPFs don't fail by themselves, something else takes it out.

There are several causes of this graph jump. Engine software, injector failure, impending turbocharger failure, intercooler blockage, etc, etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

rhitrucking

Active Expediter
the dpf was replaced due to a recall. The truck finally gave me a check engine light for the temp sensor. I ohmed the first one and it was 140 ohms. ohmed the 2nd and it was at .210. The new one fixed it. BTW the new one ohmed at .219

Reactions: VSprinter

rhitrucking

Active Expediter
Check engine light back. P1459 is the code. truck has no power, barely idles. turn it off and it runs fine for a while, albeit in limp mode. I think a valve is not working or stuck. runs fine when cold, but after it warms up all heck breaks loose until it is turned off and restarted

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
P1459 suggests failure of the EGR valve. You can try a few things. Take the valve apart, clean it up, and reinstall. You can check that it has battery voltage, a GOOD ground connection, CANH and CANL at the EGR valve connector. Chances are good that the valve just died. Individual parts are not available, you have to buy the whole assembly. And yes, many of the cars I've owned over the years cost less than that valve.

Reactions: Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Check engine light back. P1459 is the code. truck has no power, barely idles. turn it off and it runs fine for a while, albeit in limp mode. I think a valve is not working or stuck. runs fine when cold, but after it warms up all heck breaks loose until it is turned off and restarted
The EGR valve should not open until engine coolant temp reaches 104 degrees. This in conjunction of your symptom of running fine while cold and a P1459 Is a EGR Valve issue for sure. If you confirm the valve has a good 12v, Ground, Can H, and Can L as Greasytshirt suggested then odds are the valve has a internal failure. I have just acquired a good used EGR valve off a 2008 JO8 from a engine swap. I was saving it as personal test unit but the shop already has one. If you cant afford new I can help you out with a used one for a song. Instant message me if your truck is a 08-10 Jo8 and are interested good luck.

Reactions: greasytshirt