Double-Checking Your Scans....

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
As we discussed in the "Scanners" thread, be sure to check and double-check your scans and save a copy, either hard copy or digital copy.

We're still in the process of getting a handle on this system, i.e. what would be the cut-off day for a run to appear on the next weeks settlement.

The first week of using the scanner, we scanned a load on Wednesday morning and it was not included on the next settlement, ok. so it's going to work at about the same speed as the TripPak system.

This week brings us our first glitch in the system. We scanned paperwork last Tuesday and took ourselves out of service at home. We received confirmation that the paperwork had been received, turned the truck off and called it good. (note: the confirmation does NOT include the run number) Fast forward to this morning which brings us our first look at this weeks settlement that doesn't include the paperwork that we scanned on Tuesday of last week. While checking the c-link for the "paperwork processed" messages (which does include the load number), we find that we received confirmation of processing.......for a load that we did not run and none for the load that we scanned. With a call to FedEx we learn that "they don't have" the originally scanned paperwork. (he's going to check on this and call us back) Good thing we have copies to send again if the paperwork for that run doesn't show up!

We obviously would have caught this right away had we not trusted the system and proceeded to do our normal at-home stuff so it's a big DUH on us as we wait for the call-back but will FedEx also get a duh or will they find the paperwork that, at this point, is still missing? Stay tuned.......

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
My pride is screaming, "why the hell did you go ahead and make that post"......LOL, double DUH on me!! I wrote that load up and it looks like I went back too far on the c-link and PUT IN THE WRONG RUN NUMBER!! The run number on the paperwork that they notified us was being processed was the wrong number that I wrote in so the blame is falling right in my own lap!!

Now, that being said, many of us pride ourselves in "going the extra mile" for the company when it is appropriate. We pride ourselves in that. I would like to think that had I been the one that received paperwork with an incorrect run number, I would have gone that extra mile and shot that contractor a quick phone call or maybe a message on the c-link and the matter would have been handled in a timely fashion. Why wait a week and let us "discover" it for ourselves after tracking everything down? I mean, it's pretty obvious we've scanned something legitimate to you, the rest of the information being correct, so why wouldn't you set that aside until it was resolved?

Anyway, problem resolved, double duhs on this part of the team and. I'M STILL GLAD WE SAVED THAT PAPERWORK!! LOL:eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Pardon me for jumping in here, but when you scan paperwork via the QC you are scanning it directly into the system. It's not like an email where someone receives it, checks it over, and then puts it into the system or rejects it if something it's wrong. If you scan paperwork and manually input the wrong run number (one that has been previously processed or a number that doesn't yet exist), the system ignores it and thinks the paperwork has not yet been received. It tells the people in the office that it hasn't been received, too, so they have no reason to look for it under a wrong number.

I know this because about 3 or 4 times a year I'll input an incorrect number. We can check online to see if there is any "paperwork not received" and if there is anything listed there more than a couple hours after scanning it, there's a problem, usually with the pro # that was input.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
DD, thank you for sharing this information. This is a learning process for each of us. We have actually had two different BOLs to scan at once and we have to be very careful about which number goes with each one. Thanks for the reminder!! india

Reactions: 1 person

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Pardon me for jumping in here, but when you scan paperwork via the QC you are scanning it directly into the system. It's not like an email where someone receives it, checks it over, and then puts it into the system or rejects it if something it's wrong. If you scan paperwork and manually input the wrong run number I didn't manually enter the wrong number into the c-link, I WROTE it on the BOL, and it was a number from another load opportunity we had turned down that day. Not sure systems can pick up on hand written items on the BOL. (one that has been previously processed or a number that doesn't yet exist), the system ignores it and thinks the paperwork has not yet been received. It tells the people in the office that it hasn't been received, too, so they have no reason to look for it under a wrong number.

I know this because about 3 or 4 times a year I'll input an incorrect number. We can check online to see if there is any "paperwork not received" and if there is anything listed there more than a couple hours after scanning it, there's a problem, usually with the pro # that was input.

You're sounding like you believe the system works without human input but I don't think that is correct, especially after I got this private message after this post from someone who shall remain anonymous.

Just thought I would tell you on our scanners through qaulcomm we get a beep and a message after a few minutes if we enter the wrong load number. It has saved me more than once.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, it's not 100% without human interaction, but it's close. Paperwork gets accepted into the system, or rejected, 24/7, even at times when administrative personnel isn't in the office. That's the whole reason for automating the in-truck scanning. I've seen exactly how it works, both when things go right, and when an incorrect number gets input. There are, of course, some minor differences in how different carriers handle incorrect numbers, but it's the same system.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
No, it's not 100% without human interaction, but it's close. Paperwork gets accepted into the system, or rejected, 24/7, even at times when administrative personnel isn't in the office. That's the whole reason for automating the in-truck scanning. I've seen exactly how it works, both when things go right, and when an incorrect number gets input. There are, of course, some minor differences in how different carriers handle incorrect numbers, but it's the same system.

The system cannot be too deeply automated if it doesn't have an automated response to an incorrect number as well as some contractors receiving almost immediate phone calls concerning mistakes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Look, all I'm doing is giving you some information that you may find helpful. If you don't, well then I'm sorry I bothered you.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As in, I'm sorry I wasted my time bothering someone who obviously thinks I haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about despite the fact that I do.

Yes, there CAN be lots of human interaction, and there will be for a time while the scanners are new, but that won't last very long as the system is designed specifically to minimize human interaction. But I'm sure none of this matters because I don't know what in taking about. Just ignore everything I've said and you'll be fine. You'll figure out out.

Last edited: