DOT weigh Stations under 10000 pounds?

Johnscharf

Expert Expediter
I have been doing local work for many years normally 08:00 - 05:00 and would like to do out of state work exceeding 8 - 10 hours per day.
Do I have to stop at weigh stations with a one ton van providing it is under 10000 lbs? Also am I affected with the number of hours I drive per day?

Thanks Guys

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
As long as your not carrying Hazardous material you are exempt, as far as I know. Are you leaving anything out?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Wisconsin and Iowa are two states that require commercially operated vans to visit the weigh stations; however, they are rarely open. You needen't observe the hours of service regulations in the van you describe,but It's a good idea to observe the spirit of them and get the rest you'll need to stay alert during the all-nighters we often perform.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I think you only have to stop at the ones that Say All Commercial Vehicals must Go through. Not many states have this. And of course if hauling HaxMat. Drive Safely have a Happy Holiday Season....Butch

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I should have mentioned. My Carrier can only dispatch a solo van 650 miles. But when you add the 50 to maybe 100 miles to pickup. It can make a very long day. Even at 70-75 miles an hour,and you won't average that speed, you still have a very long trip. I hope this helps you. Drive Safely...Butch :) :) :)