Dot Road Check 2006 is coming

G

They 2006 72 hrs Dot Road check is coming and I hope everyone is ready for it this year by going over your trucks good so you don't get placed out of service. I think its June 7,8, and 9th but i'm not sure.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Having just picked up my truck from the shop with all new brakes on the tandems, fresh shoes on the steer axle, a major PM service and a DOT inspection, I anticipate that I'll be seeing the "Green4GoBy" light on my PrePass a lot in the coming weeks!

Funny how things work.

Rex

HoosierHllyBlly

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Dave,

It's the 6th through the 8th. It's on the VRU Dave..Your slipping to much time at home. (laughing)

Take care ol buddy
HoosierHllyBlly :D

Pappy

Expert Expediter
I already had my check-up! As a matter of fact-- 3 of them and all at the same weigh station. I-75 south side in Northern KY. Every time I go through there and cross the scales the little blonde smiles and waves at me. Then the arrow comes on and its to the parking area. Yep, all paperwork inside. Think next time I'll surprise her by just turning into the parking area as soon as I enter the station,collect up all my paper work and walk inside.Then just tell her I just went ahead and came on in cause I knew if I crossed the scales, You;d give me the arrow!

Pappy

35 years OTR T/T :p

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Ok everyone,
We don't really know what the DOT Road check is all about. Still a newbie here with almost a year of service, so not sure what all of this means. Our truck just had PM done recently. What else should we be looking out for besides PM and logbook stuff?
Thanks!
Laura

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I fully understand the road checks, however I do have one question for ya all.
The Yearly DOT inspection sticker, where does it get placed? Been looking at a lot of trucks and do not see it. Especially fedex trucks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Road checks and DOT inspections are about the same, just trying to find defects to correct for safety. My friend the trooper said that basically the brakes and tires are the things she was told to look at for problems.

I had a recent 6 month inspection, no big deal for a van. Brother-in-law did the inspection and we went through everything together in less than 20 minutes even including the time talking about his new Dodge ram. He seemed to think that some that it sounded more difficult than it actually was.

My annual is on my left fender (I think it should be on the right) and I have a windshield sticky in the lower left window below my FAST transponder (which I have yet to use).

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>Ok everyone,
>We don't really know what the DOT Road check is all about.
>What else should we be looking out for besides PM
>and logbook stuff?
>Thanks!
>Laura

This is an annual event that is essentially made for the media. Inspection crews will be out in force checking commercial vehicles for safety compliance. At scale locations near urban areas it is not unusual to see a local TV crew filming the action for their newscast.

If your rig has good tires and brakes (proper adjustment is important), lights working, no exhaust leaks and no audible air leaks you should be in good shape truck-wise. It might be a good idea to give the ol' rig a bath and clean up the "file cabinet" on the dashboard. Your logs, cab card, and other paperwork will also be checked, so hide that "emergency" log.

It's also a good idea to treat the inspectors in a professional manner. My experience with scale personnel leads me to believe that the intensity of the inspection is directly related to the attitude of the driver.

Rex

G

Rex hit the nail right on the head. Thanks Rex
FedEx puts the sticker on the inside driver side window.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
DOT Road Check... June 7th to the 9th... Very good to know for me... since I'll be on tour up in NY and NYC area's.

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
i live in MARYLAND not to far from WASH,DC.d.o.t. is always out,i call them ''ROLLING D.O.T.''.they have pulled me over,just to check ,lights,tires,horn,med card,lic.i drive local.not much over 400 miles a day.they have even set up a inspection station in a park&ride lot.they have lights out on 495,95 when flashing you must enter.alot of trucks don't.i asked the tropper about all the trucks thst don't stop.he told me that they don't have enought rolloing d.o.t. trucks to stop them.but did say this''if stopped for not entering you may rec.one of the following.''(1)nothing(depending on tropper and mood of tropper).(2)fine,could be up to $1,000 (3)fine and points (4)sup of lic.only been put out of service 1 time in the past 5 yrs(brake adj).not to bad where i live .in va the have federal d.o.t. doing pop insp at weight stations.i was stopped for driving a rental truck,and not having a company name,d.o.t.#.d.o.t.#for rental was on it.not to big of a deal.what he told me the troppers in the scale house only cared if you were over weight or not.

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
YOU ARE CORRECT MR DAVE EXCEPT FOR CA, AZ NM THERE IS 4,5,6 AND MAYBE A COUPLE OF OTHER WESTERN STATES & next time have the bloody hellmanns ok

G

I wasn't my fault, but I will be sure to have it the next time you stop by. It was great to See you and Pam. I hope you can Stop back by on the 4 of July. We are trying to plan a nice Day for all of our Driver's and friends.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Only a few hours left. Everybody round up all that paperwork, and be ready. I just may take a 72 hour vacation here in Dallas.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, I guess it is good that work has been slow for me a few days. I run for the air freight sector out of Tampa doing only expedited/hotshot freight.

Yesterday, I got a call for a p/u in Lakeland going straight to Fort Lauderdale. P/U time was 3PM. I got there only to find that the two salinization pumps I was hauling were assembled AND painted just a few hours before. I didn't smell much fumes until the pumps were on my truck (B-Unit). Now I have a HazMat situation. I had thought of propping the rear door and tying it to vent while I cracked the windows, but it wasn't just a little fumes like indoor paint causes. This was industrial outdoor paint. I ended up refusing the load and took a dry run for the 50 miles to p/u. Hopefully, I don't have to fight for the carrier to pay me, but although I hated to forfeit the run, I was glad to for safety reasons. Then I remembered the DOT Road Check, and I was very glad I refused it. Firstly, I could've gotten sick. Secondly, I could've gotten pulled, and they make a determination. I am living and learning.

Jeff :9

G

That was a very smart move, I know it was lost money for your van, but think how much it would have cost you in fines. Smart move on your part.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
I herd Trooper Monty Dial (of the Texas DOT) on the Midnight Radio Network last night give some numbers after the conclusion of their 72 hour blitz. The numbers given were just for 1 location.

Over 900 Inspections
190 OOS for Truck Violations
70 OOS for Driver Violations

elton10

Expert Expediter
>Having just picked up my truck from the shop with all new
>brakes on the tandems, fresh shoes on the steer axle, a
>major PM service and a DOT inspection, I anticipate that
>I'll be seeing the "Green4GoBy" light on my PrePass a lot in
>the coming weeks!
>
>Funny how things work.
>
>
>Rex

Well I got all RED lights on my PrePass..but just waved through when I pulled into the scales