DOT inspection

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's come to my attention, that the DOT inspection standard is a pretty low bar.

Anyone crossing into Canada, do the scales inspect according to the DOT standard here? Or does Canada have its own rules?

Yes I'm Canadian, but never having been inspected I have no idea

(My assumption that it would be way too difficult to maintain a regulated truck is most of the reason I've avoided it)

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not Canadian, but I watched a Jim Carrey movie once.

That qualifies me to say, DOT works the same. Sticker on side door, minus weigh scale, equals available weight to carry.

Reactions: brokcanadian

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A class 1 Canadian pre-trip inspection is not the same as a DOT Level 1 USA inspection. The USA FMCSA required pre-trip is essentially the same as the Canadian NSC Standard 13 pre-trip. A major difference is the Canadians require written documentation concerning the inspection be carried in a truck 4500 kg (9920 lb) or greater weight; The USDOT does not require a a written report, including log book entry, of a pre-trip inspection, although many drivers will argue that it is required. I think it's a good idea to log it since you must log on duty not driving while performing the inspection.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, I slightly exaggerated there, sorry

Edit: anecdotally, yes I heard log the pre trip, and if you write 15 min not 30 one driver said they'll make you prove you can do it in 15 lol

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now what I'd like to know is, if the equivalent to a Level One is done in Canada does it meed the DOT standard, or are there going to be mechanics crawling over my truck with dial calipers looking for parts a few hundredths out of spec.

Or, like DOT obvious broken items that nobody in their right mind would drive anyway

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I think you are confusing USA/CDN terminology. A Canadian pre-trip is referred to as a Class 1, A USA Level I inspection is performed by a Law Enforcement Officer IAW USDOT regulations. The Level 1 includes everything on a pre-trip and all appropriate paperwork and log book check. The USDOT required annual Periodic inspection is often called a DOT inspection. There are specific requirements for certified mechanics to follow and the include measurements such as tire tread, steering lash and air chamber stroke rod travel. There are minimum requires a truck must meet. A mechanic should never subjectively apply personal opinion. The problem a driver will face with a failed inspection is that the truck may not be taken out on the highway with any safety defect. An example: A steer tire must have a minimum tread depth of 4/32", so the mechanic must pass that item and the driver may enter the highway. But, how long before that tread is slightly less than 4/32"? It could be at the next scale house and placed OOS until replaced where the truck sits. The morale of the story is that the conscientious driver never lets equipment reach the minimum standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: guido4475

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I definitely admit I have no idea what's going on with regulated trucking, much less the American / Canadian terminology

Where do I find a copy of the yearly DOT inspection procedures for mechanics?

Here is a copy of the CSA standards for comparison purposes

Oh and thanks for answering. I really am trying to understand this

ROFL the canadian inspection pdf is too large to attach, here's a link https://www.ccmta.ca/images/publications/pdf//CCMTA-PMVI-Report-FINAL_E_update_2016.pdf

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
FMCSA regulations at 396.17 + discusses the inspections and inspector qualifications. Appendix G to Subchapter B of Chapter III is the Minimum Periodic Inspection Standards.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FMCSA regulations at 396.17 + discusses the inspections and inspector qualifications. Appendix G to Subchapter B of Chapter III is the Minimum Periodic Inspection Standards.
Ok, I have read that but assumed something was missing. 3 pages vs canadian 195 pages?

I guess I have to read both and make a judgement call to understand better. First glance at the American one: if its worn out or broken, no pass. I should hope

Edit: and indeed on an over 10k vehicle, ABS malfunction light is no pass. I'll just go with it, and hold judgement

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, I have read that but assumed something was missing. 3 pages vs canadian 195 pages?

I guess I have to read both and make a judgement call to understand better. First glance at the American one: if its worn out or broken, no pass. I should hope

Edit: and indeed on an over 10k vehicle, ABS malfunction light is no pass. I'll just go with it, and hold judgement

In all the times I had been inspected in my straight truck I can on my remember 2 times they wanted to make sure the ABS light came on when I started it and went off.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Many of the ABS fault lights on the trailers are labeled ABS. I occasionally asked drivers what that was for. One driver told me that the ABS stood for Air Bag System, but he didn't know what the light meant.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, found it. We're the same as DOT this is the Canadian spiel

"Enforcement
The most signifcant diference between the maintenance standard and the other inspection standards under the NSC
is that there is no on-road enforcement of the requirements. Rather the requirements are enforced by jurisdictional
transportation safety officials during the facility audit process (NSC Standard 15)"

So on road the scale inspections are close enough between Canada / US