Dog as security system

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Frank we have a 80 lb German Shepard that is with us in the Truck all the time. Can we write off his maintance as a security system. I have heard that you can and I have heard that you can not. Believe me not on tries to get in.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dog as security system"
Jul-23-06, 11:21 AM (EDT)
Frank we have a 80 lb German Shepard that is with us in the Truck all the time. Can we write off his maintance as a security system. I have heard that you can and I have heard that you can not. Believe me not on tries to get in.
Driver: 25 yrs no Tickets no Accidents which is no accident. Still Lovin It.
0/0 16 yrs
OOIDA Member

This is a difficult deduction to claim, the Only thing that I can tell you is call the IRS, and ask,At 1-800-829-1040, Ask for Small business division, and you want to find out a about a guard dog in your truck,, even though its a pet. I would, but I am on the road myself taking a vacation while heading up to the expo in Wilmington, OH on the 28 AND 29 EXIT 50, I 71 ROBERTS CONVENTION CENTER

Frank

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Dog as security system"
>Jul-23-06, 11:21 AM (EDT)
>Frank we have a 80 lb German Shepard that is with us in the
>Truck all the time. Can we write off his maintance as a
>security system. I have heard that you can and I have heard
>that you can not. Believe me not on tries to get in.
>Driver: 25 yrs no Tickets no Accidents which is no accident.
>Still Lovin It.
>0/0 16 yrs
>OOIDA Member
>
>
>This is a difficult deduction to claim, the Only thing that
>I can tell you is call the IRS, and ask,At 1-800-829-1040,
>Ask for Small business division, and you want to find out a
>about a guard dog in your truck,, even though its a pet.
>I would, but I am on the road myself taking a vacation
>while heading up to the expo in Wilmington, OH on the 28 AND
>29 EXIT 50, I 71 ROBERTS CONVENTION CENTER
>
>Frank

Babs,

I checked this out and if you go to www.IRS.gov and look up publication 535, BUSINESS EXPENSES UNDER WHAT I CAN DEDUCT
The first sentence states the following.

In order for a business expense to be deducted it MUST BE BOTH ORDINARY AND NECESSARY

AN ORDINARY EXPENSE IS ONE THAT IS COMMON AND ACCEPTED IN THE INDUSTRY,

A NECESSARY EXPENSE IS ONE THAT IS HELPFUL AND APPROPRIATE FOR YOU TRADE OR BUSINESS.

THEREFORE A PET IS NOT ABLE TO BE DEDUCTED. EVEN IF ITS 80 LB GERMAN SHEPARD,

This is the legal aspect of the question and answer, yet there are drivers out there that do take there pets as a deduction. Basically it is not allowed.

Frank

BUT????

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Which of the qualifications would the IRS argue, I wonder? Dogs are common and accepted, and the health benefits, both physical & mental, qualify them as helpful and appropriate, especially for people who pretty much live on the road. Security is just an added bonus, I'd think.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Cheri,

I was at a the 2006 National Association of Tax Professional Tax Conference,of which I am a member of. It was Held in Boston from August 20th to August 25, 2006, while there the IRS Small Business Division was there along with the Tax Advocacy Dept. I asked the same question that you asked me about the dogs and I got a flat out answer the next day and the answer is the following

{B}The truth of the matter in reference to dogs in the truck ARE NOT DEDUCTIABLE PERIOD. NO IFS, ANDS, OR BUTS.

THE ONLY WAY IT WOULD BECOME DEDUCTIABLE IS IF YOU OWNED AND TRAINED GUARD DOGS.:'( :( :-(

I myself cannot tell you what to deduct and what not to deduct, If you want to take the deduction do not tell your tax preparer that you are deducting a pet as a guard dog on the truck. he will probably tell you the same thing. but it has been done, listing the expense under another catergory. but do not tell the preparer where you are putting it to be used as a deduction.
The only thing that I can say is it is up to you and is your responsibility if you are audited and the deductions are disallowed.

Frank

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
We were told we could deduct the guard dog's expenses but it would create a big red flag for what little benefit we would get from the deduction. That was from our CPA. We chose not to raise that audit flag. The entire deduction for food/vet expenses for the year was minimal.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bonnie,

I responded to this by land line with you today, Basically according to the IRS it is not advisable to take this as a deduction. It is not a deductiable item. If you are audited, it will be disallowed and you will have to pay the additional tax plus penality and interest.

Frank