Does anyone have any infomation/advice on the DT 530 International 8.3 L 2005?

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
Hello: Just inquiring if anyone has any information or knows about the DT 530 International 8.3L engine? I haven't seen many of these engines in the used truck market. Is that a clue that they are not very good engines? or are International's just not that popular in the expediting business? If anyone has any advice or information to share, I would like to hear from you. Thanks

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
As far as I know, there are only a few notable differences between the DT466 and DT530. The DT530 has a longer stroke and larger injectors, and were rated up to 300hp.

Last edited:

Deville

Not a Member
2005 was the first year for the current body style & engine setup. There were quite a few bugs with them which were pretty much worked out the following year.

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Deville: Did you have one of these engines? or know someone who did? Do they have any power. I drove a re-built 3126 the other day, and had 2 stand on the floor the whole time, and it was empty of cargo. thanks

tentoes

Seasoned Expediter
Hello: Do you know if the DT 530 has a lot of power. Deville said they had problems within the 1st year, but improved after that. Do you know the biggest or most common problem/issues with this brand of engine? any information will help. I am looking for the best mid-size engine. I have heard good and bad things about the C9. I don't know much about the Mercedes or the Cummins engines in the mid-size. What do you think is the best? Thanks for your 1st reply and your time.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello: Do you know if the DT 530 has a lot of power. Deville said they had problems within the 1st year, but improved after that. Do you know the biggest or most common problem/issues with this brand of engine? any information will help. I am looking for the best mid-size engine. I have heard good and bad things about the C9. I don't know much about the Mercedes or the Cummins engines in the mid-size. What do you think is the best? Thanks for your 1st reply and your time.

They were rated up to 300hp. The dt466, which the 530 was based on, was a reliable engine. Not particularly powerful, but solid. Millions of school buses had them. They use high pressure oil to pressurize the fuel in the injectors. Since the oil has this dual purpose, it needs to be changed on time. The most common problems I've encountered is issues with this high pressure oil system. The pump sometimes leaks, the oil pressure regulator can get flaky, and the pressure sensor occasionally quits. Any decent shop can successfully diagnose and fix them, and parts are easy to get. I can't imagine the 530 is remarkably different in this regard.

Id recommend test driving any truck before buying it, if possible.

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums mobile app

Deville

Not a Member
Hello Deville: Did you have one of these engines? or know someone who did? Do they have any power. I drove a re-built 3126 the other day, and had 2 stand on the floor the whole time, and it was empty of cargo. thanks

I have friends who have them. They like them once the bugs were worked out. CAT 3126 can be a strange bird. I like mine, I maintain it & it runs well. It;s not great on hills, but holds it's own everywhere else.