Does anyone have a fax machine in their truck?

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
I hate paying $1 a page to recieve faxes at the truck stop. Does anyone sell a fax machine that plugs into your cell phone? Thanks.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
They do sell mobile faxes but they are pricey. If you do a web search you will find too many!!!

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
With all of the gadgets they have out I would think there would be some way to hook up a cell phone to a fax machine. If you can use a cellular to connect a computer to the internet there has got to be something out there to connect up to a fax machine with. I just haven't seen it.

Brian

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter
If you are using a Laptop computer with a e-card in your truck you can buy Fax software almost anywhere to use use. WINFAX is a very good software product to use.

Bill

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>If you are using a Laptop computer with a e-card in your
>truck you can buy Fax software almost anywhere to use use.
>WINFAX is a very good software product to use.

Yup, and not only that you can buy a $90.00 all in one printer/scanner and scan documents on to your laptop to fax out. (like BOLS) You can also receive a fax via an internet connection on a laptop.

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter
Mcbride

You are 100% correct. I'm sorry I forgot to mention the scanner/printer unit. That's exactly how I have my office set up except I also have a fax machine interface as well. Depending on what is in use at the time, I can send and receive from either unit.

Bill :)

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
We used or laptop with aircard from verizon to E-Fax from truck, worked very well, as long as you didn't loose signal. Staying still is important for locked signal strength. We also had scanner/copier in truck for those shippers that only give you one copy of BOL. :)

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Howdy McBride!

Can you give me some specs, brand and model on the printer/scanner you use? We've been lookin at smaller printers and still haven't been sold, about $170(+-) at the Flying J's . . . We're using a Presario 2500 with Windows XP.

This may be obvious to all of you but, what happens if someone tries to send you a fax and your e-card isn't on? We're using the Sprint Card, does it go into a hold @ sprint?

Thanks everyone!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you have wi-fi and the fax software on you computer you can send it that way as well. If it is scanned documents, then you will need a machine for that as well. Like sending BOL ect.

gojack

Expert Expediter
Take a look at
Data on Call, $ 10 a month (there are many others Google for efax.,)
they supply a 1-800 number and the fax goes to your designated e-mail box
So you can get it when you want, also you don't have to print if you do not need to.
Scan your signature, drop it into docs, and send it back without printing.,
keep frequently used forms ready and you can fax in seconds.

http://www.dataoncall.com/smallbusiness/online-fax-services-hidden.jsp

For Internet access look at a Wireless PC Modem.,
see Fido., you can be online to send and check email on the road and keep cell phone for voice traffic.
$250 PCI card and $60 a month for unlimited dial-up speed internet, coverage not the best check their map for your routes.

Fido and then keep AOL Instant Messenger running on your laptop and your wife kids and office can IM you 24/7 smilie(':9') If you are out/asleep its there when you look.

http://www.novatelwireless.com/pcproducts/merlinG301.html
http://www.fido.ca/portal/product/cartepc.jsp?lang=en&side=pers

Buy a mike and net cam, add Voice & Video chat and ...
See/hear the wife and kids more maybe? (awful choppy though)
http://www.ispq.com/

Sorry I do get carried away.,

Dave C

Oh yeh., link on your web site for live audio video feed from your truck cab so clients/Boss/wife can check on status and to see if you have both hands where they belong .smilie(':+')

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you do not now have the equipment referenced in this thread, and if your only reason for buying it would be to send and receive faxes, you might be better off paying the dollar a page. You can transmit a lot of pages for the cost of the equipment and monthly service fees.