Dodge Sprinter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
you can have a decent sleeper bunk behind the seats, up to 50 inches seem to be the norm. But some have used the entire cargo area with a drop down bed or an air mattrest as a sleeping area becuase the width of the sleeper is around 64 inches and not enough room to streach out.

I have seen one sprinter that the passenger seat was removed and a fridge, microwave and TV mounted in place of the seat. lots of room.

If you are looking at a Sprinter, look at a 2500 158 WB hightop. this is the most cost effective van, best of everything.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check out Greiger Motor Sales the have a Link on EOL.They can get you one thats all set up and ready to go. They got Base Sleepers all they way up to Top of the Line laid out Sleepers.Also Fyda in Columbus Ohio Sales Sprinters all ready to go.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Well i guess my main concern is I have Bad credit, I have 20,000 cash but I know i cant get any bank financing is there still hope?

trhoades

Expert Expediter
There are a couple of freightliner dealers who will put them in and sell you the finished product for about 6000 to 7000 more. And there is Bentz in Fort wayne who will add it aftermarket. Their price varies because they have a number of different plans and options, anywhere from 1500 on up to about 7 or 8 thousand.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only thing you can do is check it out. With a large down payment you might get financed. Don't use all your money though because you need money to operate on until settlements start coming in and you also need an emergency reserve just in case. "But it's brand new and has a warranty." Definitely in your favor but if it's the one unit that has a bad torque converter that fails in a few hundred miles and you're stuck for 3 days until the part arrives and is installed and have to pay a motel that's emergency reserve. Good luck to you.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Well i guess my main concern is I have Bad credit, I have
>20,000 cash but I know i cant get any bank financing is
>there still hope?

Well i am in the same situation, bad credit thanks to my former employer (long story). Financing took 10K down payment and a high interest rate. When I used the down payment for medical bills, I was stuck but found an alternative.

If you have 20K, why don't you look for a used ford or GM diesel? I found one for 10K (11K out the door) and got on the road for a couple thousand more.

I found a few under 10K but the one I have I got lucky with the fact I know who used it and how it was taken care of.

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
>>Well i guess my main concern is I have Bad credit, I have
>>20,000 cash but I know i cant get any bank financing is
>>there still hope?
>
>Well i am in the same situation, bad credit thanks to my
>former employer (long story). Financing took 10K down
>payment and a high interest rate. When I used the down
>payment for medical bills, I was stuck but found an
>alternative.
>
>If you have 20K, why don't you look for a used ford or GM
>diesel? I found one for 10K (11K out the door) and got on
>the road for a couple thousand more.
>
>I found a few under 10K but the one I have I got lucky with
>the fact I know who used it and how it was taken care of.

Yea i have been doing that but I want a nice sleeper I plan on being out for long stretches and I want to be comfortable as possible as i think this will help me stay out.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You Need room for 2 full Size skids. Thats the standard for a B unit I ran a Gmc Long Wheelbase my Bunk the size of a twin bed was mounted on the wall and folded down when empty. When loaded and needed a Power nap I just Reclined the front seat.

Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired

Renagade1

Expert Expediter
If you been reading post here one of the main reason for getting a sprinter is it allows you to haul a little more then a normal cargo van. You might want to think about how many loads you might miss are the extra money you might make. Just athought.

Ren

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
My reason for considering the Sprinter is mileage and comfort. If im constantly miserable on the road I will eventually miss more loads. I know my personality ,so i would rather be relaxed while away from home so i dont mind staying out longer and eventually making more money.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A "B" unit is a "B" unit if you want to haul "C" loads Buy a "C" truck. The more Guys that Haul "C" loads with a B Unit the Harder it is for those that won't or can't haul "C" Loads.

Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
look for a 03 or newer Most of the Problems have been worked out and the Part supply is a lot better.

Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired

theend

Expert Expediter
If I had my own Sprinter it would be the long one.
I would take out the passenger seat and build a floor to ceiling cabinet. In the bottom of that would be the extra battery. (Freightliner can put in what you need to run all your accessories with, and you know you're safe.)
It would have to sit back just far enough you can see the side mirror without being hindered.
It would also hold clothes, books, papers, food at the minumum. In front of the cabinet would sit a plug in cooler.
I saw a laptop / QC set up on pipe. The base bolted to plywood, a long pipe threaded into that, an elbow on that, and another long piece with a cap into that. Take a piece of plywood, and make a surrounding lip all the way around. Attach this to the pipe on the back side with u-joint clamps and screws. You can Velcro everything and use bungie straps to secure things. (I would have my laptop on it and my phone/phones.)
Right behind the seats I would have a 30" wide box with mattress. It would have a piano hinged pc of plywood that folded up under the mattress, and an extra mattress on top of that. This would be permanent, so there would also be room under it for extra storage.
It would also assure me of a place to sleep if I was under load for a weekend. Then, on LO, I could unfold the plywood, and spread out my bed to be more comfortable. The box unit would then be my bulkhead.
By not having a metal bulkhead, you could put the seat back as far as it goes if you just want to sit up front and be able to look out.
Under it I would store a potty, and camper chair, table, (the kind with pockets in them for drinks. Can use one for ashtray) stove/heater, whatever, and use that stuff in the back.
Along the side to the wheelwells from both directions I would have a piece of plywood, upright to guard them and also store more stuff.
You can store liquids in the step at the sliding door. Oil, washer fluid, water, etc. Tool, straps.
Put in 4 lights in the back at the top, run to your accessory hookup. On LO's put up your chair, table, and sit back and relax.
You can double stack skids, sometimes, so 2 ETracs on the sides is a good idea. 2 on the floor. 4-6 E Trac straps. Loadlocks if you can get them, or substitute by boards and the small locks that fit in the slots.
1 really long tow strap or 2 short ones to go around the bottom of the farthest reaching skid to put the ends on a forklift and drag it out.
Put in one of those roof vents with fan, plus a plug in fan, and you're set.
I ran a plug in fan for 1 week, no power, off my car battery, without a charge. And you can use a household fan of your choice with a power strip. I'm sure you can buy heating units. Just use more juice. So you shouldn't have to idle with a good back up system and yet stay cool or warm.
As you go, put up insulation for winter.
And you can get a front window cover from RV center. Velcro something to the side windows. You feel like you have a lot more room and you can easily get from front to back.
Remember, tire jack is on floor on pass. side. Keep it accessible.
This is work, but it's cheap.
Compare by going back in Archives till you find the Sprinter sleeper unit, or try to find the site that has the picture. It just depends what you want. I wouldn't need a fridge or microwave. But if I had to choose I would get the microwave.
This wouldn't cut your cargo space as much as the unit would. But, having something to lay on when you need to is better than those seats! And, cutting into that space cuts down on the chance you might have too heavy of a load. You can still get 2 full size skids in there, with some to spare.
But after all this, if you'd rather buy a ready made sleeper check out this site: www.mysprintervan.com/index.php

cleat

Expert Expediter
20,000 cash will buy you credit. Trust me. Go to any dealership with 20 grand and they will sell you a Sprinter.

pamc

Expert Expediter
I inquired about a new 3500 Sprinter I saw online that had then sleeping quarters already in. The difference between with and without was about $7,500.00 - $8,000.00, which I thought was a bit steep.

We own a business doing interiors -- modifying a coach right now. The Sprinter conversion would be easy. With TV, inverter, microwave, birch ply, Ozite fabric, carpet, mattress, lights, etc., etc. At best, you've $2,000.00 to $2,500.00 in materials. One man in a week in the shop could fit the interior nicely. This excludes the factory metal bulkhead, additional batteries, etc.

At $6,200.00 ... a shop could make a nice buck converting these babies.

J-

pamc

Expert Expediter
Big:

Too bad you're not Western Ohio, as Elkhart, IN is pretty much the capitol for RV makers, who could certainly help you.

I've noted some places in Ohio to try -- not sure where exactly they are in reference to where you are. They may be able to direct you ... or maybe do the work.

Farber Specialty (Custom Coach)
7052 Americana Parkway
Columbus, Ohio, 43068
(614) 863-6470
(800) 331-3188
Fax: (614) 759-2098
http://www.farberspecialty.com

Fontaine Modification Co.
5325 Prosperity Dr.
Springfield OH 45502
Phone: (800) 366-8246

Hi Lo Trailer Co.
500 S. Main St.
Bellville OH 44813-0577
http://www.hilotrailer.com

Thor Industries, Inc.
419 W. Pike Street
Jackson Center OH 45334
http://www.thorindustries.com

Another thought -- contact a few limo companies as ask who does their interiors. You never know.

If you were in Eastern PA, I could help you.

Jerry