Do You or Do You Not Use The Power Deck System?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Alot of people would say having my van setup as it isnt really necessary too...but i wouldnt be out here doin this if i couldnt set it up as it is....

Is a winch "necessary"? Not in most situation right now, but there are a few times it could have got me loaded..and there have been a few times that i warned no straps or chains again...so while i wont "run" out and set it up this weekend, but sooner or later ill do something...
Ya know Chef...if one was to design an almost universal system....there might be some potential

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
a hand crank for a 1,000 lb skid across the floor?.....oh you are my Superman!!....LOL

They are easy to crank. Out in the lake and our boat motor quit. We used the trolling motor to get back to shore and used it to get back no the trailer. Its got low drive system so its easy to crank with a load. I'm sure it will pull a heavy pallet to the rear without much trouble. I think the challenge would be a sturdy mount system

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Come to think of it an electronic winch would better. Rig up something that attaches to the floor with e track. Should be easy to set up once you figure a good mounting system

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As long as you have a receiver hitch on your truck we could add a pintal hitch plate to raise it up above the bumper...

portable winch.jpg

Speedwagen

Seasoned Expediter
Yep, Powerdeck adds weight, decreases load height, and is pricey, but:
- it makes loading/ unloading safer
- it easily gets your cargo in front of the rear axle for better handling
Not an option for me, but I liked the idea of ease, safety, and better handling, so-
I made my own set of wheeled pallet skates and use them for everything- pics attached. Simply: a plywood deck with a welded frame under with small casters.
Approximate cost for me: about $125.00 plus some hours of welding/ fabrication.
-Only about 1.25" tall
- Light and easy to manage as well as stow (note stowage on Sprinter side walls in pic.)
- Must use e-track and straps (hey, the load is on wheels now...)
- My 2500 Long and Tall Sprinter handles SOOO much better with a centered load.
-Makes loading and unloading a breeze (for me and the fork truck operator- haven't
met one yet who said "Man, I wish everyone had these things...etc."
- Pushing 1000# on flat ground is pretty easy- heavier than that means that I look for inclines or declines depending on loading or unloading. No biggie. I do have a
3000# Superwinch on board, but I use that along with my custom ramps for motorcycles and such (my "anti-deadhead" secret weapon)
Very pleased with their performance so far (and so are my customers!)
Simple is best! And it keeps my cargo floor looking great!IMG_0197.jpgIMG_3414.jpg

Last edited:

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, Powerdeck adds weight, decreases load height, and is pricey, but:
- it makes loading/ unloading safer
- it easily gets your cargo in front of the rear axle for better handling
Not an option for me, but I liked the idea of ease, safety, and better handling, so-
I made my own set of wheeled pallet skates and use them for everything- pics attached. Simply: a plywood deck with a welded frame under with small casters.
Approximate cost for me: about $125.00 plus some hours of welding/ fabrication.
-Only about 1.25" tall
- Light and easy to manage as well as stow (note stowage on Sprinter side walls in pic.)
- Must use e-track and straps (hey, the load is on wheels now...)
- My 2500 Long and Tall Sprinter handles SOOO much better with a centered load.
-Makes loading and unloading a breeze (for me and the fork truck operator- haven't
met one yet who said "Man, I wish everyone had these things...etc."
- Pushing 1000# on flat ground is pretty easy- heavier than that means that I look for inclines or declines depending on loading or unloading. No biggie. I do have a
3000# Superwinch on board, but I use that along with my custom ramps for motorcycles and such (my "anti-deadhead" secret weapon)
Very pleased with their performance so far (and so are my customers!)
Simple is best! And it keeps my cargo floor looking great!View attachment 5070View attachment 5071

Very Nice!!! Could you post some more detailed pictures???

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very Nice!!! Could you post some more detailed pictures???

Those are nice but have to admit I hate hauling things on wheels. No matter how I strap them I never feel safe.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those are nice but have to admit I hate hauling things on wheels. No matter how I strap them I never feel safe.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

You have good reason for not feeling safe. It's hard to make anything on wheels immovable.

Slightly off-topic, but not by much: Carferries have to chock freight cars to keep them from moving while crossing the lake. Even after jacking them up, chocking the wheels with clamping locks and sometimes welding the chocks in place, the cars start to move if the lake gets rough. It's not fun-- or safe. We're trying to move smaller stuff, but the same dynamics come into play. Wheels make a simple job into a real chore.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I had this set up at one time also. It works for Geo pretty well I guess. I didn't care for it though.

Reasons were for the few times it's great for moving that 1000 pound skid, it's something ya have to step over every time ya wanna move around back there. Also it makes it inconvenient to carry bins. It can be done, but you've got to put them on a pallet or flat piece of wood because the legs on the bins would get stuck in the rollers.

Last but not least, though most important, is safety. If your strap breaks and/or whatever securement device you've got back there fails- the freight will come flying up at you. A collision can be bad enough in itself. You've already got maybe 1-2000 pounds behind ya. I wouldn't want that 2000 pounds of freight being on wheels, even if it was secured.

It works for George. He can clarify if he sees this, but if I'm not mistaken he delivers a lot of small boxes. I could see it in a case like that. Rather than walking the boxes to the front of the van, ya just put em on those rollers & give em a lil shove while you're at the back of the van. That would save a lot of hopping in & out of your van.

I liked the post by OVM where he had to use a light pole to get his freight out. That's pretty ingenious thinking. I don't know what the power deck costs- I'm guessing a good chunk of change- but ya don't really need a $2,000 solution to a challenge that comes up once in a blue moon.

Geo (George McDonald) has or had his sprinter set up with roller floor things that should be reviewed here. If someone here can deal with search on this site you might be able to pull it up.

Or better yet maybe he will give us an update'

Speedwagen

Seasoned Expediter
Great thoughts and comments-
Yes, good quality straps and tie-down equipment is very important (as with all loads on casters or not). A 1000# load even on a standard van deck that breaks straps will also tobaggan from a panic stop, I'm sure we would all agree.
Not for everyone, but it works great for me and my customers- happy to share.
Be safe.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
this is my 3rd sprinter i have had rollers in
they are life saver
makes it easier to move things to back of van
i would not be hauling heavy pallets of a 1,000 ibs
strap load down and go
if you look up george mcdonald about sept 04 you will see what the set up is
and if you go wt granger they will be able to get them for you
if you want to know more pm

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also have short 2x4 that i stick in space between rollers, with straps and alway 2 in case one should break
alway make sure your safe
i have haul from 1 box to 782 box's at one time , 1 piece that weight in at 2100 lbs 14' long and 48" wide and 48" high
they ask me why you put this on van for the money and how are we going to get this off
same way i got it on, strap it on to forklift and back under the load
if i can get it on , i can get it off
don't need a lift gate

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yeah I was thinking about it for the CV but good ol' straps do the trick. Just seems like a nice luxury item