do you know anything about cloud computing

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not a designer, but I'm in the IT/Telecom biz so I am curious what you use cloud computing for.

Are you looking to get something designed? or are you designing an app? Google has some pretty good productivity apps available. We just started using QuickBooks Online because the MS terminal services licenses were too expensive for what we needed them for. It also let us drop a Windows box that was probably burning more electricity then we are now spending on QB Online anyway.

We also use "Logmein" "Rescue" for remote access to client machines. I guess that's cloud too...

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
most of the apps are already designed and comatable with eachother.

my next transportation company wont be a traditional company instead I want to build a information exchange that offers available freight and trucks provides online booking,set-up packets,shippment tracking,log auditing,customer service and payments to your com-data card as soon as delivery confirmation has been made with no proof of claims submitted

get the picture?

my target every small trucking company or driver if the company lets them find loads.every shipper,every broker and freight forwarder with approved credit.

will there be expedite yes
will there be ltl yes
and yes there will be truckload also.

if your gonna dream you might as well dream big.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cloud computing is at an early stage, with a motley crew of providers large and small delivering a snotload of cloud-based services, from full-blown applications to storage services to spam filtering. Utility-style infrastructure providers are part of the mix, but so are Saas (software as a service) providers such as Salesforce.com (which is barely profitable). Today, for the most part, IT must plug into cloud-based services individually, but cloud computing aggregators and integrators are emerging and are hoping to be able to make money with it.

Most fail to see the distinction between utility computing vs. platform as a service vs. cloud-based end-user applications, and only due to economies of scale can anyone make any money with it and even that will likely only be at the infrastructure level. The software level is pretty much all Open Source, and there's zero money to be made there. Oracle is betting heavily on Cloud Computing, but even they don't seem to realize that with Cloud Computing it's not the database software that matters, it's the data contained within it, and the kinds of services can be built against the data.

Cloud computing comes into focus only when you think about what IT always needs: a way to increase capacity or add capabilities on the fly without investing in new infrastructure, training new personnel, or licensing new software. Cloud computing encompasses any subscription-based or pay-per-use service that, in real time over the Internet, extends IT's existing capabilities. So Cloud Computing will be more based on the services that use data, moreso than on how you get at the data or where it is stored.

Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud, for example, offers you full Linux machines with root access and the opportunity to run whatever apps you want. Google's App Engine will also let you run whatever program you want, as long as you specify it in a limited version of Python and use Google's database.

When this type of computing works and lines up with your needs, it makes the services seem like an answer to your prayers, but when it doesn't, you'll want to change the name from Cloud Computing it Iron Ball and Chain Computing. Every nifty feature that simplifies the workload does it by removing some switches from your reach, forcing you into a set routine that is probably but not necessarily what you'd prefer. They aren't customizable because they can't be. They either work or they don't, and the one size fits all apps don't do much of anything very well.

The future of Cloud Computing rests on exactly what happens already, where apps and services will get better only if, and because more and more people use them. But that's the Catch-22 of Cloud Computing. If it doesn't work, people won't use it.