The mission of the Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association is to

Serve owner-operators, small fleets and professional drivers
To work for a business climate where truckers are treated equally and fairly
To promote highway safety and responsibility among all highway users, and
To promote a better business environment for all truck operators

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
please be more clear....how can one fit someones mission?

I guess I try to do all but the first line...I serve no one but the advancement of me!

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Coco..
We are truck drivers no matter how we try to perpetrate a fraud....
We have the good days and the bad and are no less human than the plaintiffs.
That being said we are the real deal and Ooida is well the mirror that speaks mostly on our behalf but survival of the fittest would caution you to trust but verify..
I hope you and and Todd are tripping the light fantastic and for the record I miss our banter..
Glad your still out there somewhere..

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
My post is meant to let let all those who are OOIDA members understand just what being a member is all about. If OOIDA's mission is to accomplish these things, a members mission should be to respect the accomplishment not defy it, i.e. displaying your OOIDA membership # at the bottom of your post defending why you accept cheap freight.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Well I totally get that:D
But the new era dictates that we have a group hug and persevere.
I get what your saying but Ooida is not the enemy but a mirror of the inevitable!
Or is it???

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Coco, I understand your intent, but think it's "mission impossible". First, because one person's cheap freight is another's acceptable offer, and second, even those who wouldn't normally accept 'cheap freight' may be forced to in some circumstances (ie: getting home).
That's the 800 lb gorilla that keeps rates low, no?

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
i just called about a broker load going from Indy to Wash st little over 2300 miles now this was an LTL load weight about 2000 and they wanted to pay 175 and i talked to them and they went up to 200 dollars not sure what really breaks down to but just thinking off the top of my head like maybe 2 or 3 cents a mile count me in i'll do that all day lol

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
i just called about a broker load going from Indy to Wash st little over 2300 miles now this was an LTL load weight about 2000 and they wanted to pay 175 and i talked to them and they went up to 200 dollars not sure what really breaks down to but just thinking off the top of my head like maybe 2 or 3 cents a mile count me in i'll do that all day lol

TS462, I'm with you. Cheap freight can rot on the dock.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter

$200 to take a load from Indy to Washington state? Ok, time to wake up now and smell the coffee!

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter

:eek: you've got to be kidding! No way! I keep seeing you drivers post about 'cheap freight'. Thought you meant reduced rate, you know like 5 cent off load rate per mile, but purple cow dung, 2300 miles for $200.00. That fright shouldn't just rot it should mildew and ferment! Smokin tomatoes, never would have thought anyone shipper would try something like that! Jeez tell'em to ship it USPS :D

By the bean, what is OOIDA? Been expediting 3 years and don't know anything about it just seen it mentioned a couple times on this site?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
OOIDA is the Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association, a professional organization for truck drivers. See the OOIDA web site for details.

I wouldn't get too worked up about that single skid of freight that needs to be moved. If there is no rush to get it there and no exclusive-use need (truck dedicated to the load and runs it straight through), I would do the same thing this shipper is doing. Find a broker to post the load at dirt cheap rates and wait for some trucker to come along that will take it at that price.

A single skid of non-critical freight can be comingled with other freight by anyone wishing to take it. A truckload of skids like that might be agregated and run at a profit. The shipper would see our expedited rates to haul that skid as obscene as we see his. That happens when you compare apples to oranges and critical shipments to non-critical.

Last edited: