Do we have the worst vans around?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unfortunately the Nissan NV overall is no better than anything currently available from Ford or GM. It's a sub 15mpg van with nothing to say for itself other than cargo height.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what is wrong with Nissan they make great cars that get great mileage, but their trucks all suck gas like there is no tommorow

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How are you getting 18.5-19.5 when all reports suggest 14-15 with the rare 16 tops? I'd guess you must have a very light foot with very slow and gradual acceleration and running what kind of highway speed? If a high top v8 can reliably get 17+ that brings the 3500 extended back into the suspects list.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only reports I've read have been test drives when they were released. Hardly representative.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
don't know since in service i'm hitting from 18.5 to 19.5

That seems to be good how fast are you driving?
I know a few people with the Titan(same engine I believe)
and they get really crappy mileage...even the 4 cyl Frontier gets 15 to 19

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
How are you getting 18.5-19.5 when all reports suggest 14-15 with the rare 16 tops? I'd guess you must have a very light foot with very slow and gradual acceleration and running what kind of highway speed? If a high top v8 can reliably get 17+ that brings the 3500 extended back into the suspects list.

yep very slow acceleration running 65 gps says 63 try to keep it at 2000 rpms it's not a race car but the few times i need to punch it it realy moves fast i also put it manual 5 gear so it does'nt down shift going up a hill to keep up speed and run in crews as much as i can

Last edited:

Camper

Not a Member
This is an article that basically says we make and have the worst vans around. I think Ford and GM are behind design wise and hope the Nissan pushes them to get moving with something better.

http://cartalk.com/blogs/jamie-kitman/?p=378

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

The cargo van is probably going to be put out to pasture by all car manufacturers. My guess is that the Ford Transit will be the new vehicle of choice for tradesman,perverts and trucker wannabes....lol

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The cargo van is probably going to be put out to pasture by all car manufacturers. My guess is that the Ford Transit will be the new vehicle of choice for tradesman,perverts and trucker wannabes....lol

I don't think perverts buy new vans, so they shouldn't be included...just sayin:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't think the Nissan was made for highway use as it doesn't seem to be using the engine effectively at highway speeds. I was told their target for the vehicle were the tradesman who used it for thing in an urban market, with the intent to go after the transit connect market.

As for "our" vans, the ignorant companies like GM and Ford seem to think that they are running the market, GM has made one nice comment that the sprinter is pretty much dead in the water because they have no brand while Ford keeps saying the Econoline will be made until 2016 or so and the transit will be here by then. BUT I heard the transit thing a few times before with different dates. Ford can do well with it here, but I think it is the same halfa** backwards thinking that prevents them from bring the Mexican built Fiesta with the diesel into this market.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
We seem to be the only country that doesn't embrace diesels
when we do get a diesel, it a 7.3 litre monster that doesn't get very good mileage.
All over the world people are driving small cars with small diesel engines
Volkswagen and Mercedes and BMW seem to be the only diesel cars sold over here....The German Big Three.