Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I sure like him, how's his grammar?

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I sure like him, how's his grammar?

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123
Couldn't tell you. I can't watch him long enough to find out. Two minutes is about my max. By then, he's compromised on about 3 doctrines and 6 moral issues and I'm ready to throw something through the TV screen.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
400,000,000 million or so people in the USA, 3 comments, anyone else, lets see now, 3/400,000,000 equals a whopping percentage of .00000000075 sort of tiny, but hey, so is a mustard seed tree in the beginning. The tree or shrub grows to about a 20ft diameter by 20ft tall.

The parable of the mustard tree is found in the biblical books of Luke and Matthew. It centers around the idea that the tiny mustard seed grows into a large tree-like plant, which is also a characteristic of the kingdom of heaven. This story is considered a parable for the way life starts from tiny beginnings as well.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Aw forget it it won't sink in i'l be prayin that the Father will show you how to love all people and quit the name callin.
For everything, there is a season.
Including name calling. And the proper season for that is when encountering false teachers and compromisers.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For everything, there is a season.
Including name calling. And the proper season for that is when encountering false teachers and compromisers.

Dude you got alot to learn about being Christ like The word says you shall know them by their fruit and yours stinks pretty bad. People read your posts and think all Chrristians are moranic as yourself when you set A pretty bad example of A Christ-like person

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Dude you got alot to learn about being Christ like The word says you shall know them by their fruit and yours stinks pretty bad. People read your posts and think all Chrristians are moranic as yourself when you set A pretty bad example of A Christ-like person
Really? How did Christ act when he encountered the false teachers of His day? I remember him calling them things like vipers, and warning them of hellfire. I remember Him asking them if they knew the Law, and when they said they did, He said their penalties would be severe because they were in a special position to know what they were doing and teaching was wrong, and still led others astray. Quit trying to be nicer than Jesus. When you turn a blind eye to a preacher of a false gospel, you're doing no one a favor, including the preacher.
What you call stinking fruit is actually having standards--things we are supposed to have. But Osteen doesn't have them either, so why should I be surprised?
Calling someone "moranic"--ah, gotta love the internal irony.
unu8una3.jpg

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
REVIEW: I Declare by Joel Osteen
Buy It, Heather Kelley, Inspirational, Reviews, Self-Help October 22, 2012 One Comment
I Declare: 31 Promises to Speak Over Your Life
By Joel Osteen

Review by Heather Kelley******** this review is not mine, but Ms Kelley...............
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Broken into thirty-one segments, this book defines the most powerful blessings in Scripture and encourages readers to declare one each day for a month. The declarations will affirm God’s blessings in the area of health, family legacy, decisions, finances, thoughts, outlook, and overcoming obstacles.

Is prayer just meditation with a deity involved? As I read Joel Osteen’s latest book, I Declare: 31 Promises to Speak Over Your Life, that is the thought that kept reoccurring to me.

I have to confess to harboring a mild fascination with Osteen, the pastor of Lakewood Church, the nation’s largest church. Each week, Lakewood receives approximately 45,000 adult attendees with millions more tuning in on television. I have watched a couple of times and tuned in to his recent Oprah Winfrey interview. Each time I heard him speak, I was waiting to find fault with his message. Over the years, I have come to realize that I practice my own brand of Christianity, and it doesn’t have much to do with a vengeful God or the guilt experienced by so many who attend services each week. Those things don’t seem to resonate with Osteen, either. He preaches about working hard, living your best life, helping others, and lifting each other up.

I can get on board with all of that.

What I found helpful about this book was that Osteen talked about the relationship between God and the individual as one that requires commitment on both sides to ensure that the individual achieves all that he or she can in this life. Osteen states that God has already made that commitment to us (“Ask of Me and I will give you the nations.” – Psalms 2:8) and that He is looking for us to make it back. That’s not a new idea, of course, but one that I had always approached from a narrow viewpoint. In Sunday School, I always interpreted it to mean that we should be penitent and humble and that we should follow the ten commandments. In other words, keep your nose clean, and do what you are told. It never occurred to me that it would please God if I charted my own course and asked for His assistance to make my personal dreams come true.

It seems odd to write that now, but before reading this book, I never (for example) prayed for God to help me find my way as a writer. I never asked Him to help my husband and I move ourselves to greater financial freedom. I prayed for the health and well-being of my kids and my other loved ones. I asked for forgiveness for my sins. I asked for strength and guidance to be a good person. I asked that He help my husband and I make good decisions. It’s like the mom who is so busy Christmas shopping for everyone else that she forgets to ask for something for herself. I didn’t think it was okay to ask for myself.

Osteen writes that “God is the one who put the dream in your heart” and that “It’s not wrong to ask. It’s not selfish to ask. God expects us to ask.” He compares God to the parents who enjoy seeing their child’s face light up when they are able to do something good for them. Further, he quoted the book of James 4:2, “You have not because you ask not.”

As noted in the description, this book is presented in 31 segments. Osteen provides daily declarations paired with an examination of scripture to guide your prayers and the words that you tell yourself and others. These declarations read to me exactly like a meditation guide.

“I declare that I will use my words to bless people…”

“I declare it’s not too late to accomplish everything God has placed in my heart…”

I personally find these practices very helpful. They allow me to focus my thoughts and my intentions on what I truly wish to accomplish in my life or just with my day, whether that means not losing my temper with my children or trying to complete a writing project. I also pray each day. For some reason, though, I never linked these two activities together. . . at least when it came to material things. I think it did feel selfish.

However, Osteen maintains that it isn’t. In his interview with Oprah Winfrey, he addressed the criticism he has received about his family’s wealth. Since he does not take a salary from the church, the point may be moot. He did answer his critics, though, saying that he doesn’t believe God wants us to be poor and unhappy. Those who want to contend that you shouldn’t want or need material things will undoubtedly find continued fault with Osteen and with this book.

There are some legitimate concerns about I Declare, but I don’t think they should center around the financial status of the author. In one passage, Osteen writes, “Every set back means you’re one step closer to seeing the dream come to pass.” Phrases like that remind me of sales pitches you hear in multi-level marketing companies. Phrases like that make me trust him a little less.

Ultimately, though, this book is a series of tools. Some of them may be helpful to you. Some of them probably won’t be. I found more helpful tools than ones that don’t apply to me, so it was a worthwhile investment. To be honest, some of it is just common sense. But sometimes common sense is more obvious when it’s spelled out for you.

I appreciate Osteen’s philosophies and I will probably turn back to this book over time. Now, if he could just get past the antiquated idea that homosexuality is a sin, we’ll have no disagreements between us.

Buy It: This is a book written for Christians who want a better relationship with God and themselves. If that’s you, buy it.

I Declare: 31 Promises to Speak Over Your Life : My words( I am not promoting this book, but I find it a good read for everyday living and self help---Skyraider ) If you want a book like this one, you can order it online or go to your favorite bookstore........If you want one.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
These reviews confirm it: he's preaching an alternate gospel, something on which the New Testament kinda frowns.
The gospel isn't about being your best. It says that the best of your best, on your best day sucks, is completely insufficient (filthy rags, remember?) and can never save you; that only by relying on Christ can we be saved.
Christianity isn't about self-help. It's about your utter inability to help yourself in any way that matters, and surrendering to the only One Who can.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
These reviews confirm it: he's preaching an alternate gospel, something on which the New Testament kinda frowns.
The gospel isn't about being your best. It says that the best of your best, on your best day sucks, is completely insufficient (filthy rags, remember?) and can never save you; that only by relying on Christ can we be saved.
Christianity isn't about self-help. It's about your utter inability to help yourself in any way that matters, and surrendering to the only One Who can.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you said: Christianity isn't about self-help. It's about your utter inability to help yourself in any way that matters, and surrendering to the only One Who can. (skyraider) I like that, you got it on target, God is the way, u go for it AM, Its all about HIM, very good, very good. That word self help can be confusing,imho, but the Bible in someway can be a self-help book, cause we gotta read it, to believe it and move on from there ,aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Really? How did Christ act when he encountered the false teachers of His day? I remember him calling them things like vipers, and warning them of hellfire. I remember Him asking them if they knew the Law, and when they said they did, He said their penalties would be severe because they were in a special position to know what they were doing and teaching was wrong, and still led others astray. Quit trying to be nicer than Jesus. When you turn a blind eye to a preacher of a false gospel, you're doing no one a favor, including the preacher.
What you call stinking fruit is actually having standards--things we are supposed to have. But Osteen doesn't have them either, so why should I be surprised?
Calling someone "moranic"--ah, gotta love the internal irony.
unu8una3.jpg

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or A clanging cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophesy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself; is not puffed up; does not behave rudely; does not seek it's own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails. But wether there are prophesies, they will fail; wether their are tongues; the will cease, wether their is knowledge; it will vanish away.
And know abide faith, hope, and love, these three; but the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 COR 13: 1-8, 13.
I'm not that big on Osteen either or any of the name it and claim it blab it and grab it crowd. there is no perfect church because there are no perfect people.The reason Christ cursed the false teachers of his day was for their double standards, fleecing the flock and the burdens they put on the people. they thought they were holier than anyone else. I ask that you read the verse and ponder it, really think about it as i pray the Lord will reveal to you that all must be done in love including chastening your brother which I am guilty of also so I ask you to forgive me for lashing out I was wrong and I publicly apalogize. I believe the points you are trying to get across will be better recieved if spoken in love.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
The world doesn't have to put us down ...we're too busy doing it to ourselves..

Why would they ever listen to anything we say if all we preach is hate even against other Christians?

Sad.

Dale

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Is someone who preaches a false gospel a Christian?

I don't see a false gospel I see a different way of interpreting it...

We don't all see things the same way that's why there's different doctrines.

my personal belief is we have to look at the core beliefs. In Mark 9:39 Jesus said "leave him alone no man can do anything lightly in my name".. even the disciples disagreed over how Jesus should be preached.

I have friends in many different denominations. I disagree with them.. but I can look at their interpretation and I understand how they got it even though I disagree... There's a big difference in interpretation and flat out against the Bible. I believe Joel Osteen is a good man and is preaching what he really believes is right. Is he a little bit of preaching mixed with a lot of Anthony Robbins? absolutely!

God loves you and you could happen to have a good life ...what a horrible message...

Me

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe Paul said aslong as they teach Christ crucified and risen then they are our brothers. I believe the man is sincere just a little misguided in which we should pray for him.and let the Holy Spirit do the rest. As you once said we are all at different levels in our walk. Grant it he's A teacher but God has a way of puttng people straight. A few years ago I was watching him on tv and something he said made me shake my and say something not nice in my mind. I then heard the Lord speak to my spirit and said "And I love him just as I love you"He also told me another time to let HIM do the judging and I am to do the loving although I wish I could do the judging and let HIM do the loving. I may not agree with everything you say but I do believe you are A christian and my bro in Christ. And you prbably don't agree with everything I say but does that make me A non Christian? I hope not.

Reactions: 1 person

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Well said.

Wouldnt it be boring if a choir all sang the same part? I believe we all sing a different tune but the song is the same... but too many people are all wanting to make sure their part is the only 1 that's heard.

Dale

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I don't see a false gospel I see a different way of interpreting it...

We don't all see things the same way that's why there's different doctrines.
And some doctrines are right, and some are wrong.
my personal belief is we have to look at the core beliefs.
Your personal belief is irrelevant, as is mine. Haven't you heard people say things like "My God wouldn't do that" or "I don't choose to believe in a God like that." And it's usually because their pet belief contradicts scripture, and that's their fallback position, an admission that their belief defines their god rather than the reverse.
I have friends in many different denominations. I disagree with them.. but I can look at their interpretation and I understand how they got it even though I disagree... There's a big difference in interpretation and flat out against the Bible.
There are matters of fellowship and then there are differences that shouldn't separate us. Preaching a false gospel is, indeed, a matter of fellowship. Scripture makes this clear.
I believe Joel Osteen is a good man
There is no such thing as "a good man," and if there were, none of them would consider themselves one.
and is preaching what he really believes is right.
That doesn't make him right.
God loves you and you could happen to have a good life ...what a horrible message...
Here's an article that describes the difference between that position--Osteen's false gospel--and the genuine gospel, and why Osteen's is false.

http://www.heprayed.com/practicaldevotions/41

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Well said.
Wouldnt it be boring if a choir all sang the same part? I believe we all sing a different tune but the song is the same... but too many people are all wanting to make sure their part is the only 1 that's heard.

Dale
You can sing soprano, alto, tenor, or bass, as long as you sing the right anthem.
Osteen is singing a different anthem.