Do I need Hazmat Endorsment to drive a straight tr

EasyMoney2

Seasoned Expediter
I have an A CDL, but do not have a Hazmat Endorsment. Should I get one? I hope to start driving back on the road soon. Thank You!:)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
RE: Do I need Hazmat Endorsment to drive a straigh

It depends on who you are planning to run with. Not all companies haul hazmat.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter

I cant speak for all companies but I do know that Panther and Tri-state do not require haz-mat.

Some might disagree with me but I have my haz-mat and I use the a lot, if I didnt have them there would be a lot of loads that I wouldn't have run.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

you may not need haz mat,but it is a big part of expedite freight.by not having the endorsement,you can loose many opportunities,so you be the judge,its only money

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Since my company doesn't run it, I'm not missing out on anything. As far as I'm concerned -
It's a pain in the butt to get the authority to haul it.
It's a pain in the butt to put it on your license.
The placards are a sign that says "Please make me pull around back of the scalehouse."
The loads pay no more for the extra risk.
I can't smoke while hauling most classes.
Oh yeah... it's HAZARDOUS. Did I mention it didn't pay what it should?
It's the ultimate SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT freight.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

JohnO

Veteran Expediter

I'm leased with Landstar which requires you to have HM endorsement but you can refuse to haul HM or any other type of loads without any penalties.

Personally the risk far out weighs the load rate offered when it comes to HM.

In 7 months I've only been offered one HM load so my revenue hasn't been affected at all.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

i used to haul strickly hazmat before i went to expedite, and trust me you learn to keep your ducks in a row. as a company driver we got 15 bucks an hour plus 10 cents a mile extra so it payed pretty good. we clocked in and out over the qc. plus we got 50 bucks every nite we were gone. i mainly ran arkansas to new mexico. while i was expediting i used it once to haul some pool chemicals from yellow freight in little rock to wal-mart distributor in bentonville,ar. i wouldn't haul it unless it was paying real good like at least 2 and a quater a mile to the truck or more.

EasyMoney2

Seasoned Expediter

Thank you very much Patrick. You gave me some very useful information!!:)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

for me,hazmat's not that big a deal,extra pay isnt worth bragging about,but if you in a slow area,its just 1 more chance to get loaded out.

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter

Hey Easymoney2:
Good to hear from you.
We had breakfast at the same table on Sat.
Welcome.
t.

EasyMoney2

Seasoned Expediter

Thank you Thornapple! It was very good to meet you Saturday!!:)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

I was once leased to a company that required a Haz Mat on your lisc.,they didnt haul haz mat either,but the idea was,you had to know that you weren't picking up haz mat,so you needed the endorsement

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Options, you limit your options if you do not educate yourself.

Same holds true with HM.

You may not need it today or tommorow or ever. But by having it, if one decides to move on you have it, in the process of moving evrything is a hassle anyway why not do it ON YOUR SCHEDULE?

For what my opinion is worth, GET IT.

Packmule

Expert Expediter

Broom,

Excellent point!!!
These days every advantage you can create to provide more opportunity can mean the difference in success or failure.

Danny