DIVERSITY

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
A Japanese doctor says, "Medicine in my country is so advanced that we can take a kidney out of one man, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in six weeks."

A German doctor says, "That is nothing. We can take a lung out of one person, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in four weeks."

A British doctor says, "In my country medicine is so advanced that we can take half a heart out of one person, put it in another, and have both of them out looking for work in two weeks."

The Canadian doctor, not to be outdone, interjected, "You guys are way behind. We took a woman with no brains, sent her to Michigan where she became Governor, and now half the state is out looking for work."

Pappy

Expert Expediter
I'll never have to worry about looking for work again in my entire life. I just put a sign on my front lawn that says:

Pappy's

10 minute oil change--hot juicy hamburgers

Brain Surgery & Discount Funerals

I'm expecting people to start tearing my door down just any minute!

Pappy
:p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"The Canadian doctor, not to be outdone, interjected, "You guys are way behind. We took a woman with no brains, sent her to Michigan where she became Governor, and now half the state is out looking for work."

Anne,

ah... never mind... the truth hurts.....

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Hmmmmmmm......Are you being mean???? I live in Michigan, and well, um.........

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well, Anne I find your point rather truthful (hurtful and really humorous all at the same time) in the situation we are in, a failing state with no leadership at all - either in the house or in the governors mansion. We are the joke of the country and even N.O. has had more success with attracting businesses than we have.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Here is yet another great local headline for you:

Mich. Lawmaker Wants to Arm Educators
Under Bill, Specially Trained Faculty and Staff Could Carry Concealed Pistols on Campus....

I am not real sure what to think of that at all!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
But is it the State of Michigan's problem that GM,Ford and Chrysler did not keep up with the automobile market thus having to layoff thousands of workers( with their huge UAW benefits) plus all of the trickle down effect that resulted in their suppliers and vendors having to layoff manufacturing workers..

How can the Governor control what goes on in Corporations that for 15-20 years have been guessing wrong.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rich,
The problem goes way far beyond the auto companies. It goes way beyond the facts of the auto worker being the blame for everything. Yes the state can't control things within a corporation but it can promote the state to attract new business and help those other than welfare recipients to start businesses.

Also I can't understand how the governor can claim that Toyota and Honda were asked to look at our state when she never really met with anyone from either company while she was in Japan, her staff went to these companies - what an insult to them.

But like I said, it goes beyond, way beyond the auto companies. We have had more health care workers in the state than any other state (per capita) and we gutted the entire health care system in the state - including the bio-tech firms who were wanting to start here but... could not get the state from shifting the funding for bio-tech start-ups and retraining after she promised the money would be, she shifted it all to the schools for things like Laptops and more administration in the schools. In 2003 the big two Pharma companies turned into the big one and then the big zero in 2008 - which means a total workforce out of a job numbering around 40K. Other than the closed university research system, we lost a lot more jobs in health care than what the auto companies were lost in their industry which was substantially downsized in the 80's. and I have not even said anything about the hospitals and other areas of health care.

The state blames all of this on the 'health care' crisis but after sitting in on meeting after meeting about the strategies of the state to improve things, the one thing that many have complained about is simply the lack of support in the state for these industries - like other technologies and the lack of leadership.

I can keep going but it is too frustrating.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Mich. Lawmaker Wants to Arm Educators
>Under Bill, Specially Trained Faculty and Staff Could Carry
>Concealed Pistols on Campus....

Finally some common sense to bring safety back to schools. It's about time.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.