Dispatch Rules Change, for the Company

action

Expert Expediter
Has anyone else had load offers without a weight and rate?

I was offered a load like this and sent a message (via QC) telling them I need a
weight (a GM load, I know the rates by weight) OR an amount of money paid to
truck before I would accept or reject the load. I was sent the GM rates. I then
sent the message that I know the rates and need some way to know how much money
I would be paid for the load. I also stated that I don't sign "blank" contracts
and I would expect that the dispatcher wouldn't sign either! I got a message
back to disregard load offer because of previous message sent. I then sent them
one saying I never refused the load nor did I accept it so what gives them the
right to send me a disregard? I NEVER GOT AN ANSWER. I just can't understand
how Tri State thinks we don't have any rights, and can operate a business being
so unfair to us drivers? We are expected to live by the contract we signed, so
why can't Tri State? I guess because Tri State has so many trucks signed the
rules can change to benefit them and short change us. If they would set the
rules (contracted) and stay with them it wouldn't be so bad.

If there's NO freight for us to haul I think our payments for QC, insurance etc. should
be pro-rated. We to pay these amounts to sit on our butts and hope for a load, NOT
FAIR, Tri State should share in OUR losses too. There is freight out there if some
one would be open to other ways get and move freight we all could make money,
if I can figure it out, why can't Tri State?? It's easy, just a bit different that's all.:-( :-( :-( :-(

paperback1

Expert Expediter
maybe it was the way you worded the msg. maybe you should have tried calling on the phone and asking over the phone and using a little tact, you might have came out with better results. remember, you catch more flies with sugar than vinager, just a thought:+

FuelTankFreddy

Expert Expediter
There's nothing worse than a whiney truck driver..

Did this contract you keep mentioning guarantee you all the freight you feel like turning down for one reason or another. I rather doubt it. You need to understand that you're an independant and that there are no guarantees for your success in this or any other business. <<Tri State thinks we don't have any rights>>. What are your rights as they apply to this episode? Like it or not, for the moment, you're in a highly competitive business in a slow economy. <<Tri State should share in OUR losses too>>. What a pile of left thinking liberal nonsense. Following that line of illogic, maybe Tri States customers should share in Tri States losses. Now blow your nose and dry your eyes and get back out there and act like somebody.

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
actually you should be able to get an up front amount you will be paid that isnt unresonable.. as far as the satalite fees.. those got passed to us drivers years ago when money flowed like water.. drivers took the fees with no concern.. unfortunatly now that times are slower we are stuck with them..would love to toss mine out the window thing does me no good cell phone is cheaper.. and you end up haveing to use it anyway

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Howdy action, I didn't feel you were whining, and I agree with you. I had a similar problem so I asked the billing dept. about it and they told me to ask the dispatcher before I accept the load, well that works with some dispatchers but I got this reply last time I asked " Do you wanna know what color the parts are too...." now after me sitting all day in Flint that was the last thing I needed some damn dispatcher either on the rag or on a power trip.. Yes it is only fair to tell the driver/owner what the run will pay, We truck owners call this " Business Decisions" now apparently FoolTankfreddy is just a driver so he doesn't understand the amount of money it takes to run a rig.. These trucking companies are taking too much loot for themselves anyhow, I don't feel cause we are losing they should lose I feel more like, If you are gonna offer a discount take it from your cut. This is one area I get really steamed in especially since I work on a percentage, these company salesmen will do anything they can to get some work so they'll say oh the regular price is 2.25 per mile but I can do it for 1.50 cause the truck owner is the only guy gonna lose anything on this... Well anyhow just my thoughts and please if need be, Tear me down call me a whiner, that just shows how insecure you really are Thanks y'all and Godbless on that interstate... Andy

hawk

Expert Expediter
gm rate can mean what ever they want. when i was there i got one rhat was gm rate as a d unit i figered i was getting 1.05 mile not .68 mile all it read was gm rate. when i called don he told me that i should check the rates out before taking a load

rt trucker

Expert Expediter
I don't work for Tri State but had simialr experience last fall when dispatcher asked if I was available for a run. Asked her what it paid, miles and when it picked up and delivered. She would not tell me, so I just told her I was not available for those kinds of runs.

An Owner Operator needs to know that information in order to accept or turn down a load. That is not whining.

RT Trucker

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have had this happen to us on our big truck to. Hubby and I made the following rules to run our business before accepting any loads. The two most important items where the legal means of a contract for each load. The better of the two is the QC. QC messages are kept for at least one year over on a mainframe. All you need is the date and message number if you have a question about the dispatch. All info is listed and taped, no question of who said what and when. The second method is a piece of paper of which you are writing down the info as the dispatch is giving it. In some companies when the QC is not available this becomes your contract and possible a life saver or pain in the butt for legal.. as to who said what or when it was said.

Looks like your dispatcher was a little underhanded in the message. Why else would the dispatcher not sign just any contract that might get them fired as well.

The QC is consider legal enought that it has been used with DOT rulings. I am not surprised at the company from trying to get away with something as no paid miles or weight listed as they all try because there will be one person that will accept anything the company gives them with out question.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We had this happen to us once.Last year in Houston the qc gave an offer from Houston to Somewhere in North Carolina.With the Fdx CC system you always get weight,miles ,class of freight and dollars. This was an A load and we run a D unit so we asked for C pay.The dispatcher called and said they just wanted us to pick up the freight, start heading east and when they could locate a B unit to take the freight it would be transferred. So they could not guarantee pay or transfer location, we might only go 50 miles or maybe 500 or maybe the whole trip and they could not give C rate. So I said "NO I can!t run a so called business with these type of uncertanties. I need to have firm details before I commit,you might have me transferring at some guys house that could be a 100 miles fron a layover location. The dispatcher got real poed and said,"Since you won!t cooperate I will put you out of service" which he did. Nice of them..I said to the dispatcher," When you come to work don!t you expect to get your normal pay for your 8 hour shift.What if your supervisor met you at the door and said"today we might pay you your normal rate and we might not, plus you might get 8 hours in or you might only get 2."He hung up on me..We do a lot of cooperating and I just wanted something to live with and since it was not forthcoming I had to refuse this trip and was punished for it.SUCH IS LIFE..

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Action,
I agree with you why would any one take a load not knowing what they are getting paid. I also believe the bestway to communicate with dispatch on questionable loads is through the QC. This will give you concrete documentation if you have a problem later. This worked many times with {Roberts}& Fed EX CC., but some dispatchers have long memories and it may cost you in the long run.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Well.. this thread has just shown me how sheltered I have been as far as companies dispatch procedures..LOL.. I have talked to several companies, since I'm getting ready to make the move from just driving someone elses vehicle, to buying my own... and never thought to ask them how they did the run offers. I ASSUMED (yeah yeah, I know what that does :) ) that they gave you all information at the time of run offer. FedEX (and Roberts before that) has always given me the weight, miles, and pay upon offer, and many times even the company name, and a reminder that I ran that load several times before, etc... and only remember one time did I have to turn down a run, because of not knowing where it would transfer. 99% of the time, we agreed on a city, state, and even location of switch before acceptance. If they didn't have one, I would even suggest a halfway point... ie... going from Columbus to New York, lets switch in Pittsburg at the Flying J.(or whatever) and they would agree to it, and work with me.

One thing that has amazed me is the difference in pay for vans between companies... D units seem to be similar... but ranges for Van range from 42 cents up... and I know with FedEX, I had a lot of runs over 1.00 per mile for van...and loved those short 2.00 a mile runs.. many days I spent running inside Ohio.. and made more than I did on long runs!

I've seen a lot of changes in this industry that's for sure... I started in 1993 with Roberts/FedEX... driving Unit D1115 for a buddy of mine..(how's that for an old unit no!) up to my last one I drove for... D3650, but overall, I guess I better stick with them... rather get paid more for every mile, and know what I"m doing, I guess... than run more, for low pay, and excess confusion.

Dreamer

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This subject is where it is best to work on a flat rate contract. That way you as a contractor can't be screwed over by any hocus-pocus "discounting" or the claimed 58% or whatever percent charged to the customer. How do you know what the company ACTUALLY charges the customer? With a flat rate the company benefits too as they can get you rolling towards a pickup fast without having to worry about what they are going pay you or in many instances how they are going to try to screw you ;-)
-Weave-

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Wife and I drive for tri-state and had this happen a couple of times. It seems the easiest way to correct it it have dispatch give an ititial quote. In otherwords if you recieve an offer missing weight and rate, have them qc back the rate you want. At least a $1.00 per mile. Upon arrival, when the load exceeds 5000lbs. ect. have them adjust at that time when you have the bill of lading in your hand. Very easy and no one gets agravated. We have used this system for a year and have had no problems. Just make sure they have that rate qc back to you. That is your reference with contractor relations if there is a difference on your statement. Also helps to knopw who the customer is, as that will tell you rate and percent of surcharge( 1 or 2 %). The $1.00 minumum is for straight trucks, van or TT adjust to your minumum.

barbara_r99

Expert Expediter
I am a dispatcher and I never quote a load to a driver without telling him/her every single detail...and that includes every dime that goes to the truck. I think thats kinda shady of the dispatcher not telling the driver the rate? what kind of s**t is that? *shaking my head in disbelief*
And a big hello to my girl Christy! Miss ya woman and hope youre feelin better!!