Digital Logbook

Mniesen89

Rookie Expediter
I'm considering going digital with my log book, (knock on wood) if I ever did get pulled over would a cop have to except the digital version if shown? Was just curious if anyone has any knowledge or experience with a scenario such as this?

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I'm considering going digital with my log book, (knock on wood) if I ever did get pulled over would a cop have to except the digital version if shown? Was just curious if anyone has any knowledge or experience with a scenario such as this?
I really don't know the legality behind doing your own log this way,so I did a quick search and it seems there are a lot of apps and laptop programs that claim to be legal,but I would not trust them myself plus you have to still get hard copies to your carrier right. The DOT cop doing an inspection might not be to pleased as they don't seem to even like them when they are tied to the truck like Qualcomm. I think it might cause trouble. I would do a lot of research first,or use both paper and digital for a while. When they ask for your log book hand them your phone and if they complain or give you a hard time give them the paper book. Duty Status

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
You would have to have the ability to print them so you could have a paper copy to show the officer. We use computer logs and print out yesterdays copy every day so we have our last 7 at all times on paper.

Check with you carrier to see what computer log companies they approve.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I really don't know the legality behind doing your own log this way,so I did a quick search and it seems there are a lot of apps and laptop programs that claim to be legal,but I would not trust them myself plus you have to still get hard copies to your carrier right. The DOT cop doing an inspection might not be to pleased as they don't seem to even like them when they are tied to the truck like Qualcomm. I think it might cause trouble. I would do a lot of research first,or use both paper and digital for a while. When they ask for your log book hand them your phone and if they complain or give you a hard time give them the paper book. Duty Status

I have not yet found any official, DOT, State Cops, etc, that have had a problem with our Qualcomm logs. So far it is one of the few things I like about it. I have had only one person ask to look at the unit. The rest have said if we are on E-logs they don't need to even look at them. A couple have asked if we had the "cheat sheet" for retrieving the logs, we show it to them and that is it.

Mniesen89

Rookie Expediter
Im a digital kind of guy, I like storing information digitally as it reduces paper clutter.

The way I see it, if I have a legitimate log then they have to except it. I remember there being a dispute about the insurance carriers apps for smartphones.

I read an article a while back where a cop refused a guys smartphone for proof of Insurance and then later won in court ovrr the matter.

Regardless if its digital or a hard copy its still legitimate logging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using EO Forums mobile app

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im a digital kind of guy, I like storing information digitally as it reduces paper clutter.

The way I see it, if I have a legitimate log then they have to except it. I remember there being a dispute about the insurance carriers apps for smartphones.

I use Drivers Daily Log. With programs like that, DOT regulation is that you have your previous days printed and be able to print the current day if the officer requests it. It doesn't matter how you see it, the regulation is what it is.

My experience has been that DOT officers have no problem with that type of logging.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

The way I see it, if I have a legitimate log then they have to except it. ...

Yes! That's exactly how it works! You get to make up the rules and the DOT cops have to follow them.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I read an article a while back where a cop refused a guys smartphone for proof of Insurance and then later won in court ovrr the matter.

That idea will get you no-where with the DOT sorry. We've had some drivers who were current but did not have paper copies on hand of previous 7 days and they got written up. A completely preventable unnecessary ticket. You must have those paper copies or you will get a ticket. It's in the regs and no they don't have to allow you to print them off.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Mniesen89

Rookie Expediter
That idea will get you no-where with the DOT sorry. We've had some drivers who were current but did not have paper copies on hand of previous 7 days and they got written up. A completely preventable unnecessary ticket. You must have those paper copies or you will get a ticket. It's in the regs and no they don't have to allow you to print them off.

Is this speculation or fact? I would mlst certainly have the last 7 days on paper, im just speaking of the day that you were insepcted on.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As far as I know you are not required to have paper logs when on the Qualcom logging. You do have to have the "cheat sheet" and there is an 8 day log on the unit. So far we have never been asked to print off the logs, we have been asked for the cheat sheet. Never been asked for paper.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As far as I know you are not required to have paper logs when on the Qualcom logging. You do have to have the "cheat sheet" and there is an 8 day log on the unit. So far we have never been asked to print off the logs, we have been asked for the cheat sheet. Never been asked for paper.

What is the "cheat sheet?" (paper logger here)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is the "cheat sheet?" (paper logger here)

It is a laminated instruction sheet on how to retrieve the logs from Qualcom. That is what we are to use if DOT asks for hard copies of the logs. As far as I know it is required to be on the truck. We have been asked for it a couple of times.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
How do you keep your printer from freezing in the cold when parked overnight or when shut down for 34 hr restart? If at hotel or home??

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The Qualcomm will show the officer many different variations of the info.
An 8 day recap
A graph of each of the eight days
Current status 8/11/14/70

You can also request hard copies sent to any fax number.
Something tells me the office would e-mail the hard copies if requested.

With all that info I've never been asked for anything other than a look at the screens.

Usually we get "E-logs ? You're good."

zorry

Veteran Expediter
To the idea of doing paper AND digital- DON'T !!

They'll never match 100% . A cop having a bad day will have an issue of them not being identical.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use Elipse digital logs and it's great! never had A problem when showing DOT my log. Some of them see me pull my notebook computor out and and say "E log? thats ok I don't need to see it"

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is this speculation or fact? I would mlst certainly have the last 7 days on paper, im just speaking of the day that you were insepcted on.

This is fact. It didn't happen to me. It happened to the owner of the company I'm leased to and more recently to another driver. Having the ability to print off the previous 7 days is not good enough. Sometimes you will get a pass and they will allow it though. Otherwise you will get a ticket for not being current. And it matters not if you're technically current on your laptop. I think DDL even mentions this. I've always as a habit been current and had previous 7 days printed. Actually I have several months printed on me.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if QComm gets a little leeway because its automatic, gps based, permantly tied in to unit, and the driver cannot edit driving time ?

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if QComm gets a little leeway because its automatic, gps based, permantly tied in to unit, and the driver cannot edit driving time ?

That's exactly it. True EOBR is different than a logging app or software not tied into the ECM.