Digital Camera Questions

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Send a camera to the bottom of Milford Sound (did that) or roll a kayak with one on Lake Powell (also did that) and you eventually realize small boats and big bulky cameras with long lenses don't mix. :eek:

LOL!! I had a SLR one time. A Cannon. Back in the film days. I was on a fly in trip to Canada and was working my way along a rather steep cliff on a ledge about 18" wide about 10' above the water. The ledge broke and all 3 of us went for a swim. Me, my camera and my very expensive split cane fly rod. The rod and I survived quite well, the camera died.

Most of the time the camera would be on the "mother boat" a 23' Starcraft. This one in the picture.

Attachments

• Nov10 007.jpg
    Nov10 007.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 12

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's my thinking, too. The more lenses, the more better, especially if you're a lens freak and know exactly which lens you need for a given situation. But just how many lenses do you want to carry either while hunting deer or out in the boat? Same with me in the van, I want a dSLR, but lenses can get expensive since you really do need a different one for different situations, and every lens I get is just one more piece of crap to deal with in the van. So I went with the most versatile option (at the time), which was the S2 IS for it's fully automatic mode plus all the different manual modes, and the ability to use wide angle, telephoto and macro lenses, plus filters (I have a UV filter on every lens all the time, if for nothing else but to protect the lens). And, that 12x optical was the best option at the time.

Now, telephoto being one of the primary criteria, the SX30 IS certainly seems to be the best of both worlds short of getting a bunch of lenses - automatic or manual, excellent lens, great zoom, great wide angle, and takes filters. If I weren't still getting excellent pictures with the S2 IS, I'd dump it for the SX 30, rather than go dSLR with a Rebel, simply because I can get the same results with a camera that costs quite a bit less, and don't have to deal with all the lenses (even though I really want a dSLR).

Good luck in your educational quest, and in whatever you decide. Here's a list of the Top Camera (and Lenses) Reviews Sites that You Should Be Familiar With. Many have reviews of the SX30, complete with excellent images of the camera itself. This site in particular has a good video of the camera and the features.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am hardly a "lense freak". I don't even know what half of them are for!! :confused: I have just started learning. Telephoto is important. I looked at the X30 a a Wally World today, looked interesting. Too bad I don't understand what all those numbers on the lenses mean. I guess my BIGGEST fear to date, other than price, is buying a camera and finding out that it either is not versital enough, OR, is to complicated. I have a LOT of reading to do.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a website called dpreview.com I think it is that has an area where you can select cameras and compare them side by side. They also have very in depth reviews. There are some 'superzooms' that are very capable and don't require changing lenses and carrying around a lot of heavy and expensive equipment. Before you buy an SLR you might want to check some of those.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Layout,
I was a photographer in the Army. A few years ago I sold all my 35mm gear, 3 camera bodies, 9 lenses, a complete color dark room and a studio lighting set up. I now have a Nikon D40 and 2 lenses. An 18 to 55 zoom and a 55 to 200 zoom. I can pretty much cover everything I want to shoot with this set up. And I normally leave it on automatic exposure and auto focus.
Also, don't get too hooked on filters. All lenses come with a uv coating. A polarized filter is good if you are under extremely bright reflective light. Snow, water, or you want to bring out more blues in the sky and more greens in the foliage.
Every time you put a filter on a lens you diminish the quality because you are adding another piece of glass to the lens.
I have discovered that I am much happier with less equipment.

P

PaulMessi

Which shutter speed should I use for capturing fast motion? There are many shutter sped in my camera and I have confusion about it's shutter speeds setting while capturing different pics.
Is there any setting so that camera can automatically selects the shutter speed?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The shutter speeds are a fraction of a second. 250=1/250th of a second and 1000=1/1000th of a second. The faster the shutter speed (or the higher the number) the more action it will stop. It takes about 1/4000th of a second shutter speed to stop a hummingbirds wings while in flight. An airplane propeller stops at about 1/2000. A speeding motorcycles wheel about 1/1000. A tennis ball at about 1/500.
Hope this helps.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Ive been using a Canon Powershot which has been really good for me, but I'm looking to upgrade. U can check out my myspace page and see some of the pics I have taken. There may even be some here on EO still

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App