Different christmas gifts

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
OK, I realize that christmas is still a couple months away but there's no time like the present to get started on gifts. I get tired of the same old stuff so this year I came up with this idea: my dad had a massive stroke last yr & we almost lost him...so this year I thought that I'd sit down with him & get him talking about his life from childhood to now. I took notes throughout the converstaion (lasted all day). Now I'm going to compose all this into a sort of bio book about him complete with pics of him throughout the years and give it to him & my mom, both my siblings, and my daughters for christmas. I learned so much about my dad that I had never known /heard before, like about how he felt fighting on the korean war. To me, this is not only a piece of family history, but also a testament to my dad of how much we love & admire him.
What are some ideas that you have for some gifts that are different?

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Mindy, thats a great Idea. One thing that Jenny does is scrapbooks. She has surprised me with 3 of them over the last year and half of our life and travels together. I love 'em cause it reminds me of all the fun and weird things we have experienced together.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This year we are doing something different between us our girls and my sister. We are not exchanging any gifts but we are going to create memories. Each of us are going to plan an event spending the money we would have spent buying a gift. My oldest daughter has bought tickets for each of us to see the Blues Hockey team play in Saint Louis. We will first go tour the Budweiser brewery in Saint Louis which is free, then she has a picnic supper planned and then an evening watching hockey. Our youngest daughter wants to have all of us go for a full body message and has made reservations for this. I have bought theater tickets for all of us to see Chicago. My sister likes to scrapbook so she is going to feed us all supper then we are off to learn a new scrap booking technique. We are also planning on spending Christmas day all together playing games and eating snacks!

We are hoping this is one Christmas none of us will forget!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
years back I got a hold of all my grandparents super 8 film reels, that they had't watched in over 30 years since the projector was broke and had them transferred over to VHS
Now you'd have em transfered from VHS to DVD
but you get the idea

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Dakota I did the same thing way back to VHS how are you have them transferred to DVD?

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
Great ideas!

I'm converting old cassette tapes and LPs over to CDs. Stuff that my brothers and I grew up listening to. Records that have been out of print for decades. Best kind of gifts are the ones with meaning. Best part for me is that it only costs me my time and a package of blank CDs.

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
Walgreens does it, kind pricey so just be sure to preveiw with a light if it's super 8. My sister found some old super 8's, and did that. It was great but she ended up paying to convert ones with no family on them. But like I said it was GREAT!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I took it to a local photo store, this was years back, and I can't remember the price
Super 8 to VHS gives you an idea that it was a few years back LOL
Who uses VHS anymore, yes I still have a VCR but I haven't used it in years:cool: