Diesel vs. gas price

vipra

Expert Expediter
Why has unleaded dropped to $2.50 but diesel stays around $3? I saw a 62-cent difference between diesel and gas at the Stony Ridge truckstop in Ohio.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know why is it that truckstops have higher prices than lets say speedway down the street.

I paid 2.96 yesterday at a station that thier turnover is a lot less than that of Pilot in Monroe where it is 2.99.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Talking Horse is right on target.

The new low sulfur fuel IS what is keeping the diesel prices up. Diesel will now require EXTRA steps in the refining process, and that means that we'll probably never see diesel cost less than unleaded again. I saw a story on it on the news last night...

tmbm

Seasoned Expediter
We just got home last night (actually 3am this morning). I about lost it when I saw the local station had gas for $2.30 their highest grade premium was $2.50 and diesel $3.05. Diesel is still less processed than gasoline. Even adding in bio should not account for a $.75 increase over the additional cost of refining gas. IMHO it boils down to supply and demand (actually just the demand aspect). If gas starts getting out of control we as consumers choose to drive less thus spend less. OPEC knows that the trucking industry is going to use the same amount of fuel regardless of the price, so they can get away with charging whatever they want. Of course the general public doesn't pay much attention to the price of diesel nor do they care, so we get no support from them for the additional cost. Sadly what they don't realize is as diesel continues to go up so does everything they buy.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Yesterday I paid $2.329 a gallon for gas in Ohio then later in the day $3.179 in Illinois. That's an 85 cent difference in gas prices on the same day in the same region of the country.
Price fixing? No, according to the Bush administration, gas prices reflect current supply and demand.
I guess people in Illinois are more demanding than people in Ohio.

Big Iron

Seasoned Expediter
Last night I paid $2.29 in cambridge to fill my 4wheeler. Diesel was at $2.95. Remember theres an election coming up. Most truck drivers dont vote but people driving cars do and those voters dont care about trucking companies.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Go to Land Line, they had a half an hour on this subject I believe last Wednesday, has to due to Winter Home Heating Fuel, the new 15 parts per million etc..

Also has to do to truckers being the biggest bunch of suckers out there. If any industry can be walked over its us. Not cutting us down but thats how business views us.