Diesel tuners

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
I've got a 6.0 diesel and am considering a SCT tuner.Does anyone have one,or used a tuner with postive results.

duramaxvan

Seasoned Expediter
Pelgrn, I use the Hypertech on my 03 Silverado, been on for almost 200k, adds about 90 hp with no loss in fuel economy.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
Thanks,i want the MPG's i was told ya get more of both with the diesels.I also want to lower my ECT's i've had 7.3's and 6.0's don't have much experience with the Duramax.However i've heard from other expeditors there around 20 MPG without the tuners.My 6.0 can't break 20 on average,it's around 18.5 i am hoping to break 20 and lower ECT's.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
EGT's not ECT's.If you go to Powerstrokehelp.com you'll get a good explaination of what they are.

duramaxvan

Seasoned Expediter
With my 08 Duramax 3500 express van, I can average just under 23mpg if I keep my speed down with no programing.

guido4475

Not a Member
I took my 7.3 Ford van to Bill at Powerstroke specialties in Buford, Ga 2 weeksago and had him re-flash the ecm.He explained to me that The 7.3 FOrd vans were shipped to be in compliance with the California emissions, and they were cut way back to meet them, not running the way they were built to run.More power? It is like A jet engine now, a rocketship.Burn rubber? no problem..lol.I have found I now do not have to give it as much gas to go through the mountains to maintain speed.So much more enjoyable to drive.Fuel mileage? I gained 1.5 to 2.0 mpg more immediately, and that was running it hard.I know I can get more out of it by changing to the optional 3:55 gears form my 4:09 I have in it now, and add cruise control also.The downside? When I get into it, Alot of black smoke out of the tailpipe.I jinda felt sorry for that motorcycle guy I passed the other day in Georgia, on the 2-lane..but he was going 31 mph in a 60...

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
for you duramax owners, EFI Live...my son has 5 seperate tunes he can switch to on the fly.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
Is the reflash ecm a code from a tuner? or a way to program out the C.A standards? and yes Guido the 3.55 wil get a another MPG,I had two 7.3's and with 3.55 rear ends,no tuners,and no egr system and multiple drivers.The Average MPG was around 20,If it cost ya 500$ to change the gears and your gonna keep the van for more then a yr it's worth changing.