diesel law

Freight_Shaker

Expert Expediter
Anyone familiar with the enforcment of anti-diesel laws in the state of new york and whether their enforcing it or not?x(

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
If you are referring to the idle law in new york then yes they where enforcing it last week when i was there.I pulled in middletown,ny to use the restroom and ah take care of my log book and i wasnt there even 5mins and i had a MR. DOT at my door tell me about the idle law.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
They do enforce the law, even if you are on private property (i.e. customer's dock). Also, if you do get a ticket, I do not think that you can just send in the money, but rather you and or your attorney have to make a court appearance.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I live in NY and yes, they are enforcing it. Mainly in the rest areas and more in the counties near NYC. They seem to be staying out of the truck stops, however, for the reasons being the stops are private property (making enforcement more difficult) and I don't think they want to start a riot with a lot of truckers. Land Line has had some interesting stuff on that. The law will more than likely be dropped when truck drivers start dying in their cabs when they can't run the A/C in the summer. If the idiots who made that law only understood that diesel exhaust isn't nearly as polluting or harmful as the exhaust from gasoline engines, the law would have never snuck through. Typical ignorance.
-Weave-

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave, these insane laws are not passed because of a concern about pollution. They are just like the laws here in Michigan & in Ohio, where cars can go 70 mph and trucks are restricted to 55 mph. These laws are passed because lawmakers see them as a way to get themselves re-elected. Lawmakers (most) and the media have an image of truckers, which is not very favorable. The general public see trucks as being driven by tired, foul mouthed, slobs that are operating poorly maintained and overweight vehicles at excessive speeds, that are dangerous to 4 wheelers and in their way on the highway. By passing such absurd laws, the legislaters can go to the public and say "see, we are trying to protect you and the environment." You would have a hard time convincing me that legislators do anything that is not related to gathering more votes, i.e. more power.

Drive Safe

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
time to get a proheat, call bill at tsi 800 388 3850

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That's exactly it, and it gets me really annoyed when these silly state laws slip through and people don't know about them, and they have no scientific basis. Just more fines and money for the states. I'm hoping for the day when ALL truck laws are on the federal level, eliminating all these irritating little state statutes. Senator Billybob (NY) is going to clean up the air in NY by stopping truck idling. Then he is going to eliminate noise pollution by outlawing Harley-Davidsons. Pretty soon if they make enough stupid laws motor vehicles will be outlawed altogether, and we will go back to horses.
-Weave-