Did I miss something with HOS?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that seems to answer the question for a lot, I wasn't trying to make this a FedEx EOBR session but I have created another thread for that.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
The EOBR is tied into your ECM. When the truck moves the logging begins.

Here's a situation from years ago. I delivered in Columbus OH early on a Fri. morning. Still had a few driving hours left. My truck was due for a PM, so I took it to a dealer to the west of Columbus. Logged that driving time. By the time they were done, it was late afternoon. Called in, there was no load available, so took myself out of service, drove down to mear Athens OH and visited with in-laws for the weekend. Didn't log that driving. Put myself back in service Monday AM. Got a load out of Gallipolis OH that evening. Logged to driving line and off I went. Load went to north of Detroit. Hit a DOT roadside check sometime around midnight. They ran me on the portable scales, then checked paperwork and log book. Officer asked about Columbus end and Athens start. Explained what I had done. He finished checking and sent me on my way with a "Thank you and have a safe trip". So either I logged it correctly or I didn't and he was just being a nice guy. I seriously doubt the latter.

So, what would the EOBR show, if it's tied to the ECM?

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
So, what would the EOBR show, if it's tied to the ECM?

not sure exactly what FedEx's EBOR will show, but Panthers will allow you to show 30 min Off Duty Driving, and any thing after the 30 min will be logged as driving..IMHP, better than what we used to have as an option..before we went to this EBOR we had no allowance for personal conveyance, so at least we get 30 min drive time.
Personally I think most of you will do just fine with the system as long as you dont drive yourself crazy with the "what if" scenerios.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The original scenario I described in my original post is legal, and I’m not sure why it was so confusing to others. In the example I indicated starting my log at 2 PM which would mean the 14 hours ends at 4 AM. If I arrived at 1 AM and unloaded at 7 AM, the 14-hour log for driving would have expired and I could not legally drive until the completion of a 10-hour break. Since I only had a break from 1 AM when I arrived at the dock and 7 AM when I delivered the load ( 6 hours), I am not legal to drive. At 7 AM I log all of the unloading time and the few minutes to move away from the dock as on duty. I then begin a full 10 hour break before I can legally drive.

As stated earlier, this is very time consuming and costly, so it is only done very very infrequently when the pay for the load justifies such an extensive time commitment. Perhaps I should also note that I have done this only at locations with which I am totally familiar and know in advance that once unloaded, I will be moving the truck and be parked within a few hundred feet of the dock, two locations I have frequented have allowed me to be parked safely and undisturbed for a 10 hour break having only moved the truck 100 feet away form the dock. Please note, I never stated I was leaving the delivery locations property and driving a mile or two down the road to park on the street as some have suggested in perhaps an effort to embellish the example. ( Yes, to drive a mile or 2 and park on the street would in fact be an illegal move.)

All information to date that I have seem and heard regarding the Electronic logging states that the truck can be moved up to 7/10 of a mile without the system kicking into driving mode. In my example above, as has been the actual case in all past practices, I have never moved away from the dock and driven 7/10 of a mile or move.

I have done this with every intent to be HOS compliant and only after having reviewed it with the Safety department and have had them verify to me that what I have done and logged is acceptable and legal.

As stated in other posts , when empty and off duty you can drive a reasonable distance for food or lodging if unladen . There is nothing in FMCSR about 7/10 of a mile or any mileage restriction for that matter OTR drivers can even drive a tractor between the terminal and their home while logged off duty . .

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
As stated in other posts , when empty and off duty you can drive a reasonable distance for food or lodging if unladen . There is nothing in FMCSR about 7/10 of a mile or any mileage restriction for that matter OTR drivers can even drive a tractor between the terminal and their home while logged off duty . .
Only if not pulling the trailer,if TT driver is still pulling trailer ,then he still has to log on the driving line