Detroit Diesel Acquires Webasto

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WEll not sure exactly what date this all happened. All we know is we have in the past be able to drive to the Fenton, MI office(Webasto) and either troubleshoot our trucks problems, and or purchased the required part right from them. As of today September 13, 2010 this is no longer allowed as we were told that Detroit Diesel now owns Webasto and the closest place to order parts is Williams Carrier, another Michigan institution goes down the tube. I guess they were offered a too good to pass up offer, and in the process flushed customer service down the tube. On behalf of Webasto however they did have the technician call and troubleshoot the problem. The Williams Carrier solution was to purchase a 600.00$ part for a 75.00 error. through the last remannant of decency we were able to work through the problem.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm the confused one, are you talking about servicing or actual companies?

If you are talking about actual companies being taken over, I don't think that happened.

I know that Webasto is trying to get out of direct servicing of their products and williams is a big service center.

Webasto isn't gone by any means, their fenton office is their NA HQ.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ye, we know the HQ are up there. But you can no longer go up there, and purchase anything from them directly. You have to call another number, and order an item there.
It's called service, another tradition that's in short supply these days.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea I already know that, how many manufacturers actually service their products?

BUT I am wondering about the DD acquires Webasto thing?