Despite wrestler murder no comments?

fortwayne

Not a Member
I would have thought with the murder/suicide of a pro wrestler we would have seen some real bashing of pro wrestling on this site.

Keep one thing in mind, first this was a terrible tragedy that took place, second - there was something seriously wrong within the mind of Chris Beniot, and third - wrestling is not a sport but entertainment or maybe call it sports entertainment.

It does not matter weather you like pro wrestling or not, I can take it or leave it, if nothing else is on I can watch it, but I do believe this is nothing more, nothing less than another terrible tragedy in our society and that the media nor the public has any right to exploit it for anything else than just another crime.

If there is proof that steroids, drugs or alcohol was found in his system and it is proof that it did play a part in this murder, then maybe it is time we address these issue of drugs, alcohol and steroid abuse as a national issue just not a sports issue. Or do we really have to wait for the outcome of this investigation to address this matter.

Why should we only care if an athlete or a person of fame is involved before we take any notice!

Fort Wayne
Support P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don’t want to sound callous but this situation was not caused by any thing but Steroids.

The sad thing outside of the death of the kid and mother is the fact that the organizations who promote wrestling, who pay these people should bear some responsibility for this, will not be held accountable for the use of steroids.

As one who has seen the behind the scenes stuff (had a close realitive who was on the circuit with Hulk Hogan and many others) with this ‘sport’, I have been turned off by the entire thing and also having known people who have been using steroids and later killing themselves and others, I would say we just need to reevaluate the need for the sport and the glorifying the use of steroids.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
I've been watching "wrestling" since I was in High school, and this is a horrible tragedy, to be sure. Steroids definately played a part in this, no matter how the WWE tries to cover it up. Benoit was always stocky, but as of about 5-6 years ago, He became really cut, and ripped, much more definition to his muscles. I was shocked when I turned on RAW and saw this information. Even Vince McMahon's body has grown unbelievably since 2000, and he's supposed to be an old man. someone needs to do something about steroids, period.

fortwayne

Not a Member
WOW -
Greg, you must me one heck of an investigator since the police department there will not have the test results back for two weeks to see what was in his body.
For you to say that yes steroids had something or everything to do with this tragedy is unjust - there is no proof AT THIS TIME he had anything in his system.
Now, don't get me wrong, steroids MAY be something they find in his system, we do not know YET - so just dont go around saying yes steriods is the problem IN THIS CASE because not even the professional investigators know yet.
However, I agree the WWE glorifies this whole bad lifestyle, hell anyone who watches this stuff helps push the product, I am as guilty as the next guy who has purchased a pay-per-view WWE product.
What I am saying is that we should not rush to a conclusion in this case nor should we wait for the results before we see some serious action on taking care of the steroids, drug and alcohol problems we have in society - just not sports.
By the way, I could really care less what the WWE says about this, in fact if you go to their website you will find that they have pulled down their original statements and even they are allowing the police time to gather all the information.
I will say, at this time all the WWE really is worried about is another federal investigation into their company and sports in general regarding roids. Remember a few years ago before those baseball nuts were called to the senate the WWE was facing their questions and that is what had them 'move to clean their act up.'
I think they have failed upto this point though.
Bottom line - terrible story, but it happens everyday to everyday people. We only seem to care and get all worked up when it is someone of fame.

Fort Wayne

greg334

Veteran Expediter
" WOW -
Greg, you must me one heck of an investigator since the police department there will not have the test results back for two weeks to see what was in his body.
For you to say that yes steroids had something or everything to do with this tragedy is unjust - there is no proof AT THIS TIME he had anything in his system.
Now, don't get me wrong, steroids MAY be something they find in his system, we do not know YET - so just dont go around saying yes steriods is the problem IN THIS CASE because not even the professional investigators know yet."

FW,
First thing is forensics can’t go back to a year or two. Long term steroid use can and does alter more than muscles and even if someone stops using them a year, two years or even five years, there are lingering side effects for a long time. The sad thing is some steroids alter genetics, meaning that some kids are also effected by parents use of them.

Second is there is a lot of research on steroids and the psychotic effect it has long term. One thing that I can attest to is the things that the pharma companies found when comparing some of these steroids to some of their psychotherapy drugs, like sertraline, ziprasidone, alprazolam (all drugs on the market now) and some compounds in phase 2 and 3 studies in order to see if there is any indication of any limiting effects of psychotic episodes by using these drugs resulting in long term steroid use, for example mode swings, deep depression and violent outburst. Some of this research was done because a few compounds were just modified steroids themselves.

So my conclusion is simply derived that;

• they found steroids at the home
• that there is common knowledge that the wrestling, weight lifting and body building forms of sport depend on them
• there is no way that it can be determined that the effects of continues use of steroids could be ruled out
• the forensics does not take in account the condition of the body/mind before the use of steroids so to make a determination if or if not there was a psychotic episode caused by steroids

I for one would like to see steroids treated like other drugs, like LSD but for that matter many people are to much into sports that they can justify the use of anything to win.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Here are some new update info:

Chris Benoit’s personal physician met with him the day of the murder, according to an Associated Press report. Dr. Phil Astin also said he prescribed testosterone to Benoit because of a low count being produced by his body. Astin said that condition likely stemmed from previous steroid use. Here is the link: http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=94290

There are other details soon to surface nationally about the murder/suicide that include details about Nancy Benoit spoke with Astin the day before her murder to try and gain information about treating her son Daniel. WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt told me the promotion has information stating Daniel was suffering from Fragile X, which is an inherited mental impairment that causes autistic-like symptoms [more information about the disease can be found at FragileX.org]. McDevitt said it’s believed that Nancy Benoit was struggling trying to cope with Daniel and that neck surgery she had undergone wasn’t make the situation any easier for her and Chris.

One question that can be posed is this: If Chris Benoit killed his wife stemming from a confrontation about Daniel, did he later kill his son because of concerns about who would take care of a needs child while he was in prison? While this doesn’t make Benoit’s actions any more justifiable, the scenario may shed some light on why Chris Benoit killed his son before taking his own life.

Fort Wayne

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Wrestling is not,in any wild stretch of the imagination, a sport. This a** hole who killed his wife and son is a coward of the worst kind. I don't care if steroids caused it or not...he chose to inject that crap into himself, knowing full well the possible ramifications of doing so. I hope he rots in Hell!!!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ft Wayne,just kinda curious. Why would an Attorney for the WWE talk to you in regards to a murder investigation.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Some steroids can alter genes of used long term and in large quantities.

Genes make up the road map for children to be created (anyone with a better word?).

Children who have their genes altered, come to us with defects.

Is there a possible correlation between taking steroids and birth defects?

Come on, anyone?

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
>Wrestling is not,in any wild stretch of the imagination, a
>sport. This a** hole who killed his wife and son is a coward
>of the worst kind. I don't care if steroids caused it or
>not...he chose to inject that crap into himself, knowing
>full well the possible ramifications of doing so. I hope he
>rots in Hell!!!!

Hmmm....I know this is not what this thread is about, and where your first line of your post came from, but wrestling IS a sport, but it is of course, scripted. IMO, if the AVERAGE person can't do it, I would have to consider it a sport. can YOU take a chair shot to the head and walk away from it? These guys are stunt men...it takes a lot of physical ability to do what they do night in and night out. They call it "sports entertainment" for a reason. This is just my opinion, but I'd like to see you walk up to Bill Goldberg or Stone cold steve austin and start talking *%#$ to either of them. They know it's fake, but it's how they make a living, for OUR entertainment. Apparently, society likes it, or it wouldn't be as popular as it is, for as long as it has been. My Grandpa was watching wrestling back in the 60's, and they knew it was fake then. Yes, this is a horrible tragedy, and yes Benoit is as wrong as two left shoes, but leave His final judgement to HIM, if you know what I mean.....By the way, how do you KNOW He knew the possible ramifications of injecting steroids? Most of the people who have done it really didn't know it was THAT bad, or thought that the results wouldn't be so drastic. It is not clear-cut what steroids do to the average person, so there is no way YOU can determine that he "knew" the ramifications of His actions. Every DUI person who kilss someone innocent "knew" the possible ramifications, but thought it wouldn't happen to them. I'm not saying He wasn't wrong, because He was...

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
You're right, this probably isn't the proper thread for this, but gimme a break..... I supose you know where sasquatch lives too!
Take a look in the dictionary and see how "sport" is defined....
I will leave the final judgement to HIM as you say. I only said what I "hope" happens to this guy. By the way, I feel the same way about those who drive drunk and kill people.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I am a fan of the 'sports entertainment' known as professional wrestling. While it may not technically be a sport, they are certainly athletes. These men and women play havok with their bodies trying to succeed in a competitive business that demands bigger, better, faster athletes, just like true sports. Yes I was a fan of Benoit, as he was legitimately one of the best technically skilled wrestlers in the world, having trained in the legendary Hart Dungeon.

I know several people in the business. Not all take steroids, but many do of course. More common is the abuse of pain meds to deal with the abuse they put their bodies thru.

There's a lot of stuff in this case that doesn't make sense. Most of the evidence as stated by police does point to murder suicide. However, all those who knew him said this is nothing like him. 'Roid rage' is a flash in the pan and gone. Yes, I've known guys on steroids. While the initial murder of Nancy may have been a 'flash rage'.. the murder of Daniel, and then suicide of Chris would have had to be the planned out actions of a depressed/homicidal man.

The problem is, he was seen the day before at his doctors office. According to the police timeline, Nancy would have already been dead. At that time, he was laughing and smiling and posing for pictures with fans. He then got a prescription for his 10 month supply of steroids. Ok, ignore the point for a second that he was using far too much. A man who has killed his wife, about to kill his son, and then himself.. takes the time to go get his normal supply of steroids, and pose for pics with fans.

Why bother? If he did everything in their timeline, Nancy was dead, he had to know he was either going to jail or kill his son and himself by that time.

These are not the actions of a depressed, homicidal person. These are the actions of a person going about their normal life.

Steroid abuser? Obviously. Murderer? Probably.

I'm sure we will never know the whole story. Odds are, he did it, just like they say.. however, there are just some loose ends that don't add up.

I hope and pray they're not closing the book to quick on this one.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
>You're right, this probably isn't the proper thread for
>this, but gimme a break..... I supose you know where
>sasquatch lives too!
>Take a look in the dictionary and see how "sport" is
>defined....
>I will leave the final judgement to HIM as you say. I only
>said what I "hope" happens to this guy. By the way, I feel
>the same way about those who drive drunk and kill people.

letzrockexpress,

you need to calm down...sounds like roid rage to me:7 A discussion like this can't be settled by the dictionary, because it's much too subjective. For example, lots of people don't believe golf is a sport either, but if it's not, why can't I make 250k a year? My definition of a sport is something that requires training, coupled with desire and inborn ability, to perform feats that the average person cannot. Everyone who wants to become a great golfer no matter how many lessons they take, and how often they practice, won't be able to make it without the natural ability. If any of the three things I mentioned are missing, you're probably going to fail. This of course is my opinion, but if you ask any 100 people what is considered a "sport", you'd probably get 100 variations of the same answer. athletes perform in sports, and wrestlers, no matter how silly it may seem to you, are athletes. Most have a high school wrestling or football background, I'm sure you wouldn't say that football isn't a sport, would you? BTW, what does sasquatch have to do with this?

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
yeah yeah... Kevin Nash was on Hannity and Coombs tonight (7/5) and he says wrestling is definitely not a sport either!!! I rest my case...By the way, shouldn't you be out recruiting drivers??:)