Decision

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
I always sleep in a recliner to help with GERD. I had one similar to this for the van. It folded up out of the way but worked well for my needs, even with cargo to capacity. Good luck finding your solution.

I'm going to need something a lot more substantial than that! I'm thinking Lazy Boy.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm just a little concerned about giving up a couple feet of cargo space. I plan to use a nice recliner or other permanent bed setup, so I'm thinking I'd be limited to 2 skids with the shorter cargo area.
I held tuff at a permanent bunk. I waited to be able to sleep while loaded, no matter what. And I often did sleep while loaded. That meant 9 feet for freight, not even a quarter inch more. So 2 pallets. I can count on one hand how many times I missed out on a load because it was 3 skids and didn't get a one of two skid load instead.

Unless things have changed dramatically, most expedite shipments are 1, or 2 or more-than 4 pallets. 3 and 4 pallet loads do happen, but not nearly as often as the others. I admit I haven't talked with any dispatchers in quite a while about it. And the last to haul 3 and 4 pallets may have altered the landscape of expectations. But even if 3 is the normal minimum, I'm still gonna sleep while loaded.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
I held tuff at a permanent bunk. I waited to be able to sleep while loaded, no matter what. And I often did sleep while loaded. That meant 9 feet for freight, not even a quarter inch more. So 2 pallets. I can count on one hand how many times I missed out on a load because it was 3 skids and didn't get a one of two skid load instead.

Unless things have changed dramatically, most expedite shipments are 1, or 2 or more-than 4 pallets. 3 and 4 pallet loads do happen, but not nearly as often as the others. I admit I haven't talked with any dispatchers in quite a while about it. And the last to haul 3 and 4 pallets may have altered the landscape of expectations. But even if 3 is the normal minimum, I'm still gonna sleep while loaded.
But how would you know how many 3 pallet loads you didn't get? Maybe you missed 3 of them before getting one you could take. Theoretically.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But how would you know how many 3 pallet loads you didn't get? Maybe you missed 3 of them before getting one you could take. Theoretically.
There's no way up know an extract number, but I talked with tu he dispatchers on a regular basis to find out how frequently 3 skid loads showed themselves. It's certainly possible that I missed three 3 pallet loads before getting one I could take, but the point is, I got one I could take instead of sitting there for days without getting any load at all because of was a 3-skid load or bust situation. I'm sure it happened on occasion, but it's very rare.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I could always sleep loaded even with 2 skids in a G3500 because of the chair I slept in. It fit between the van seats and freight. I suspect it would work the same way with a Transit and 3 skids but don't know for certain without measuring. I sleep in a Lazy Boy now at home. Yes, it is more comfortable but I wouldn't give up the third skid option for one in a van.