Decision

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
To be honest, I didn't think there would be this many decisions to make regarding getting my own van, and these are only the ones I've come up with so far. I'm going to go through them, and hope for input from everybody.

First, for the van itself, either a Sprinter, the longest one made, or the longest, high-roof Ford Transit. I want to maximize my cargo area while simultaneously minimizing occasions on which I have to take down my bed and nap in the driver's seat. Been watching comparison videos. I like the wifi, all wheel drive, and Ford Pass app so I can control the van from anywhere, but I don't like the fact that the longest Ford is shorter than the longest Sprinter. But I do like that Ford parts and maintenance are much easier to come by. My current owner has only one Sprinter mechanic he trusts. A video I saw says good Sprinter mechanics are hard to come by.

Diesel/gas: leaning toward diesel, thinking of how/where to maybe have emissions deleted. My current owner deleted emissions.

Thinking of putting in a full sized recliner for a bed, like Lazy Boy, but I realize that would permanently take up space. But when I'm empty, I'd like to turn it a bit and relax in it like my van is a den. Mount a tablet and pull up a video of a fireplace, my dog in my lap, etc.

Deer bumper! Saw a van with a nice deer bumper. To be honest, I'm afraid of deer. Even if you don't get injured in a deer strike, you might have to get towed away and spend considerable time in the shop. Don't know how hard it would impact my economy.

I'd want to remove the passenger seat, and put the house batteries on the floor, covered with a box of some sort, fridge on the box, maybe some luggage there.

I'm not at all handy in a carpenter or electrical sense, so I'd have to have someone do the work, but I'd want insulation, storage racks along the side over the wheel wells, up to 4 rows of e-track on the floor.

Then the business end... My first thought is to set up the company as a disregarded entity and pay myself as an employee. Anybody do this?

I welcome coments on this or anything I haven't thought of.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Bed wise I would buy a twin memory foam bed from Sam's club because its 12 inches thick. Trust me your hips and shoulders will love you for it.
Choosing a van is a big deal but do not go diesel unless you can fix it yourself....sprinter dealerships were hiring head hunters to get mechanics to come to work...it is a cut throat business. Go with gas engine.
The ford is going to be cheaper maintenance wise over the sprinter.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would NEVER consider ANY modification of emissions equipment. That is a sure way to wind up in BIG trouble. I bought a recliner from the Camping World store. It folds similarly to a beach chair so it takes up almost no room at all when not in use. It has memory foam the length of it, albeit thin, but I found it comfortable and very convenient. My van was limited to 2 skids and I had just enough room in front of them to use the recliner even when loaded. I had to hire everything done with my van also. Sportsmobile did most of it. I had 2 etrack welded to the floor and found it sufficient. I also had 4 feet of etrack across the back, almost flush with the doors when they were closed, just enough room to clip in a strap. The four large washers and hardware are holding the Onan generator mounted in the spare tire well.

Attachments

• van floor.jpg
    van floor.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 7

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Go back and find the posts where Moot gives his annual summary of expenses with his gas Ford Transit. VERY informative. As already mentioned, diesel needs a first class mechanic and there are far fewer A+ diesel mechanics than there are A+ gas mechanics.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I know of two 5 star sprinter diesel mechanics one is Wayne Rodd here in toledo,ohio....the other I don't know where he went.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
I know of two 5 star sprinter diesel mechanics one is Wayne Rodd here in toledo,ohio....the other I don't know where he went.
My owner trusts a guy in Elmhurst, IL. His rep is that if he can't fix it, nobody can. The guy is close to Soup-Nazi-level rude, but apparently an expert.

Last edited:
Reactions: danthewolf00

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Go back and find the posts where Moot gives his annual summary of expenses with his gas Ford Transit. VERY informative. As already mentioned, diesel needs a first class mechanic and there are far fewer A+ diesel mechanics than there are A+ gas mechanics.
I've been searching. Searched back to 2013, as far as it lets me. Can't find anything searching for "moot transit annual expense summary" or various permutations.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You have to go to the advanced search and put Moot in the posted by box and Transit in the keyword box. It sometimes gets hung up with too much input I think. Anyway, here's what you can study, the last page being most complete data.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
If I were to get a new van it would be a Ford Transit.
I'm just a little concerned about giving up a couple feet of cargo space. I plan to use a nice recliner or other permanent bed setup, so I'm thinking I'd be limited to 2 skids with the shorter cargo area.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I always sleep in a recliner to help with GERD. I had one similar to this for the van. It folded up out of the way but worked well for my needs, even with cargo to capacity. Good luck finding your solution.