Deciding the best course of action. OPINIONS WANTED

Road2KnowWhere

Rookie Expediter
Hello everyone! It has been great reading all of your posts. so much info on here. So... a little about myself. I have been in the expediting business for the past 3 years working for a couple of local companies. It has not been OTR, i was home every night 95% of the time but I did a fare share of traveling the US and Canada. I made a decent income doing this averaging $800 - $1000/wk after fuel. expenses averaged around $1500 - $3000 per year.

Unfortunately I was laid off in the beginning of the year, however I have a decent amount of money saved. So my original plan has been to purchase a newer cargo van, most likely an e350/g3500 extended and start OTR expediting. After reading up more on here, i have to say I'm feeling a little sketchy about it…I haven't read too many encouraging posts. although the recruiters that I've talked to at Bolt Express, Jung and a couple of others have said i can gross between $4000 - $6000 mo. staying out 3 weeks with avg. 90 cpm. Ive also read posts on here claiming i would be lucky to make $25,000 a year after expenses staying out 50 weeks of the year...Im not really sure if i should be believing that or not…is that really a reasonable estimate?

I am also considering going to school for my class b or possibly class a cdl. If i go for the class b I wouldn't have enough money to purchase a decent straight truck and would have to become a company driver or finance half of a truck, (which i would rather avoid). but I have read that there are more opportunities and income in having a straight truck as an expeditor but more so as a team. Is there decent potential as a solo driver?

If i go for the class a cdl, Im looking at driving someone else's truck (for little pay) for a number of years before I would be able to afford my own. but a very good potential for earnings 5 or so years down the road once Ive purchased my own truck.

I love the idea of driving a cargo van OTR because it is so portable, and for me being able to go to the gym and staying fit while I'm on the road would be a huge plus. Buying a cargo van would be my first choice, but based on my research its not adding up…I mean I would be willing to stay out for a month plus at a time…but not if Im lucky to be bringing home $25000 a year. What it really boils down to is opportunity and income....Anyways, I figured i would see what you guys have to say before I make a big purchase. I don't know anyone who is in the OTR expediting business so your advice and opinions are very much appreciated. Thanks and be safe,

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"I love the idea of driving a cargo van OTR because it is so portable, and for me being able to go to the gym and staying fit while I'm on the road would be a huge plus. Buying a cargo van would be my first choice..."

If you've decided to come out, pick what you like to drive(subconsciously, look like you've already made that choice) and stick with it.

I would buy a good used cargo van.

Many senior members here drove cargo van and are doing well. They are still here and I don't believe they chow on can foods, lol.

But..don't take my words for it, afterall, it's a business. Some will succeed, some will...you know. Good luck.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I grossed -$87 this week...my fault but ya know these weeks can happen working for a carrier

Ha, got you beat. Went into service Wednesday morning. Got a load right away for $288. Now I'm sitting in Whiteland IN just south of Indy.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Ha, got you beat. Went into service Wednesday morning. Got a load right away for $288. Now I'm sitting in Whiteland IN just south of Indy.

Is that where there's the pilot and loves one side and a flying j on the other side of the interstate?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that where there's the pilot and loves one side and a flying j on the other side of the interstate?

Yes, that's the place. I'm at the J.
And I'm not alone. 3 Panthers, 1 Allstates, 1 Bolt and an unmarked Sprinter plus me.

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
The first time I was up there I didn't know that fly j was there so I slept in that crappy loves parking lot....yucky lol

Team FROG

Rookie Expediter
The EO University is having a workshop on Thursday May 15th in Strongsville OH. It looks like it's going to have some great info there. My wife and I are going to try and make it as we are still on the fence as to what we want to do also.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You newbies need to challenge some of your preconceptions, like: going to the gym is only possible [or easy] in a van. If you have to go to a gym, [and I don't think you do, but if you think so], it can be done in a straight truck. Google earth is a wonderful resource, and so is the phone: when in doubt, I'll call and ask if there's parking for a truck the size of an RV. Sometimes, I may park a block away and walk there - whatever works.
And Kickstarter could make his van so comfortable he won't want to go home, too - just takes some creative thinking. And some plagiarizing: use ideas that others have already figured out about living in small spaces. They'll be flattered, win/win.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
You newbies need to challenge some of your preconceptions, like: going to the gym is only possible [or easy] in a van. If you have to go to a gym, [and I don't think you do, but if you think so], it can be done in a straight truck. Google earth is a wonderful resource, and so is the phone: when in doubt, I'll call and ask if there's parking for a truck the size of an RV. Sometimes, I may park a block away and walk there - whatever works.
And Kickstarter could make his van so comfortable he won't want to go home, too - just takes some creative thinking. And some plagiarizing: use ideas that others have already figured out about living in small spaces. They'll be flattered, win/win.

Agreed. We do anytime fitness and can fit in almost all of them in our straight truck. I've also seen a lot of tractor trailers at any times as well, there are only a few parking lots too small for those. A van is not necessary for those services. Also, most malls and walmarts allow them.

You'll make lots more money by a huge margin in a tractor. Solo tractor drivers at FDCC do really well. Not as good as team tractor drivers, but still good. I'm not sure why you think you'll do poorly with it until you buy your own. A straight truck is quite a bit more difficult for a solo. It can be done and done well, but your really going to have to learn what areas you can go to and which ones to avoid no matter how tempting the load may be.

And they say $4000 a month or $48,000 a year and roughly 1/2 your money is fuel and maint. I'd say $25,000 is about right in a van.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter

I 100% agree that I could make my van extremely comfortable and I am slowly but surely. I'm currently saving for an espar and a generator, after that I'm having it well insulated and adding a roof ac unit. Just takes time to save the money and I can sometimes be lazy lol

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
It really depends on how well you learn your carriers freight lanes to make good money... but this is a roller coaster type job where one week you can't catch up on sleep and the next your wondering where your next meal is coming from.

Road2KnowWhere

Rookie Expediter
The EO University is having a workshop on Thursday May 15th in Strongsville OH. It looks like it's going to have some great info there. My wife and I are going to try and make it as we are still on the fence as to what we want to do also.

Yep Thanks! Im already signed up for it! I'll see you folks there :)

I am definitely a newbie when it comes to the world of straight trucking. Im a member of the Y and apparently there are something like 3000 of them spread across the country, I would consider the Y my home base after dropping off, more so than Pilot or TA. I could get a good work out and just as importantly a decent shower. so ideally Id like to get there at least 3-4 times a week. i know some places have spaces available or near by for straight trucks but I want to be consistent, would you be able to do a good weekly regimen at the gym in a straight truck? like 4 times a week?

You'll make lots more money by a huge margin in a tractor. Solo tractor drivers at FDCC do really well. Not as good as team tractor drivers, but still good. I'm not sure why you think you'll do poorly with it until you buy your own. A straight truck is quite a bit more difficult for a solo. It can be done and done well, but your really going to have to learn what areas you can go to and which ones to avoid no matter how tempting the load may be.

I suppose my main concern was getting out of trucking school and getting some experience under my belt before i could work for a decent company. I assume that once i get through school i will have to "pay my dues". I think FECC is 6 moths experience before you are able to run for them, which is not bad at all! I'll have to look into that more. but for some reason I hate the idea of using someone else's equipment…I don't want to be tied down and owe anyone any favors. I like being independent, but I realize there is a bit of a progression in order to get there too.

Last edited:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
assume that once i get through school i will have to "pay my dues". I think FECC is 6 moths experience before you are able to run for them,

If FECC approves the school where you took the test,I think they will waive that 6 months experience. So you could drive for a fleet owner,right out of school.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sure you can go in a straight truck. It also costs double or more for fuel and eats into your driving time. Where there's a will there's a way but you can't compare the ease and freedom of a van to a straight.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Sure you can go in a straight truck. It also costs double or more for fuel and eats into your driving time. Where there's a will there's a way but you can't compare the ease and freedom of a van to a straight.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123
Have you ever driven a straight truck?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
[/QUOTE] I suppose my main concern was getting out of trucking school and getting some experience under my belt before i could work for a decent company. I assume that once i get through school i will have to "pay my dues". I think FECC is 6 moths experience before you are able to run for them, which is not bad at all! I'll have to look into that more. but for some reason I hate the idea of using someone else's equipment…I don't want to be tied down and owe anyone any favors. I like being independent, but I realize there is a bit of a progression in order to get there too.[/QUOTE]

Don't let using someone's equipment bother you. Make ownership a goal and don't jump in with out plenty of experience and capital (money). Any decent fleet owner won't require you to give them 'favors' and you will be independent. Most have simple rules about home time and a maint schedule but beyond that your free to make money yourself and make your own decisions on the road. Some owners want to micro manage. Avoid them. There are too many good owners to work with. This isn't like working for swift or prime where your boss dictates what you do. You are your own boss.