debris in fuel

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
06 m2 mbe 9 series, i have a large amount of debris collecting in the fuel filters , took the tanks of cleaned them , cleaned the fuel lines and still finding this debris, getting badly discolored fuel in the housing as well as the debris, the last week it has suffered a loss of power , 1st through 3rd gears are fine but anything else is a chore at best, took it in and was told it had a bad low boost pressure sensor , drove good for about 250 miles and now im here ... fuel pump ? possible ijector? no check engine light and no loss of fuel pressure after it sits for several hours to several days, any thoughts?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Have the fuel analyzed. Polaris labs will do it.

You mentioned cleaning the lines. There is a check valve under your fuel filter assembly where the line from the pump feeds into the assembly. I'd check that also.

Not sure about discoloration, as fuel we buy comes in all colors and flavors.

That fuel pump ever been replaced?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I got this from another site because you said the fuel was discolored.

Large fuel droplets and high asphaltene concentrations require more time, more energy and higher temperatures to combust than is available in engines during the combustion cycle and before the exhaust valve opens. Any device in the fuel system exposing the fuel to stress (heat and pressure) such as pumps, heaters, or centrifuges will increase the formation of asphaltenes. If you have seen fuel that has turned dark, or almost black, in comparison to clear, bright fuel, then you have witnessed the results of this process. This degraded, dark fuel negatively impacts combustion.

Source Of Diesel Fuel Problems

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and then there is this stuff available

power.jpg

BTW...I spotted this at Thermo King never seen it before...
It is a 1 PINT bottle...theri price?.....$64.00!!! Yikes....but then again they wanted 16.00 for a quart of regular power service...that made the Pilot look like angels!!! LOL

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably algae if you see black growth floating around. We had two trucks that had that issue. Biocide or something similar will work. It kills the algae but doesn't get rid of the dead stuff so a couple of filter changes may be needed. Usually you can cut a filter or look in the tank to see if you have it. They reformulated fuel last year so probably will see more related issues.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
here is the fuel yester
forum
day

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Have the fuel analyzed. Polaris labs will do it.

You mentioned cleaning the lines. There is a check valve under your fuel filter assembly where the line from the pump feeds into the assembly. I'd check that also.

Not sure about discoloration, as fuel we buy comes in all colors and flavors.

That fuel pump ever been replaced?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app
fuel pump has not been changed in the years we have owned it , I will check the valve you mentioned and let you know, im trying to post a pic of the fuel and debris so maybe that will help in some way?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Does look like algae particles based on that picture. Get some bio guard and change the filters.
Hard to tell from the picture but I am assuming that is black and not anything metallic in nature.
On Cats when the huey pumps goes out it will dump bearing debris into the system.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I did a Google search after reading about this treatment and there's much better deals out there.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
update , the debris I dried out is partly metal based , I took a magnet to it and picked up about half with it...... ugh

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Ran the bio-kleen and cleared the debris and dark fuel up, running better now, thx

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am guessing all the metal must have been filtered out?.....

With all this metal you thinking your having normal wear or maybe a crank/bearings somewhere wearing out?.....Is it from an old issue?....

BTW how much you get that bio Kleen for$...?