Deadhead miles to the Pick Up Miles Deductable?

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I accumulated 14K miles Deadhead to the pick miles, and I use the standard mileage deduction. My vehicle qualifies for that. Some of the 14K is from home to the pick up and some from a last delivery stop. Are the Deadhead miles from home to the pick up deductable?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You need to talk to a tax professional who understands and works with trucking, but yes, all of your non-personal, business related miles are deductible.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Thanks. I'm assuming you already discussed this issue with a Tax professional. I do my own taxes with H&R Block software. I did contact another driver and he told me he totals all his miles and reports that to his accountant. I posted here to get another opinion, so your answer confirmed what this other O/O has been doing for a number of years. I appreciate your reply.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The cost of a professional, John Turner in Houston being highly recommended, is also a deduction and more than pays for itself in reduced stress and making sure nothing falls through the cracks. I've used John's services for over a dozen years and continue even though I retired. I was audited one time. John went with me. After a few hours review, thank you for coming and have a nice day. And I'll agree every mile related to a load is deductible although I never deducted miles going home after a last delivery. I did include from delivery to truckstop or wherever to await the next load and then from there to pickup. Just not going home miles.