Dead head pay and layover pay...is it required?

ExpeditersWife

Seasoned Expediter
RE: Dead head pay and layover pay...is it required

forgot to mention... it's now day number 4 since my husband dropped off that load in McAllen, TX.. and since lastnight has been stuck sitting outside of Memphis, TN... No pay whatsoever since that Thursday morning drop off. And they've kept him sitting too long to even hope to get to Indy in time for him to turn in his paperwork to be paid at all for lastweeks 2 runs. The deadline for paperwork to be in is by 7pm Monday.. it's 4:30pm now...and he's about 6 to 8 hours from Indy...with no Fed Ex in sight to overnight his paperwork in. JOY! }> x(

Where'd ya go.. I miss you so.. seems like it's been forever since you've been gone.. please come back home.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Alrighty! Being that he is an employee, assuming that he'll also get a W-2, the company has control over what he does. However, I would say it's all in the wording. If they told him to dh to Memphis, that's telling him to work. Therefore, he should be compensated for that work. I haven't seen his contract, so I don't know what's involved. But that's the way I see it.

This industry isn't the greatest for employee situations. There are too many variables. Too much sitting for there not to be compensation, no compensation for few miles per week, no compensation for multiple stops/ detention/ fingerprinting/ etc. A good company would address those issues and make a realistic wage for their employees. Granted, a contractor has many of the same issues that I've explained, but they also have the ability to refuse. Contractors also have the say of where they dh.

The best scenario for employees would be that they get paid hourly after their 10 hr break, until they get another load. That puts pressure on the company to get them moving, or think twice before giving them a load which is in an unrealistic area to get them moving again. I would say that .30/mi would be just for his dh to Memphis and beyond. The trucking companies pay their employees for all miles driven. It's only fair an expediting company pay that cost for their employees, since they chose that road over having contractors.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

did i miss something? where did she say they were in expediteing?
sounds to me if they are going to sit that much ,its time for a change.
i believe the loads originating in indiana are 55cpm,others are 30 cpm,TIME TO QUIT,get a real job
only one making out here is owner,slave labor
there are many companies that your guys can work for that they will get home and make much more money,unless they are in a str8t truck,in which case they just need a better owner
lots of luck
nightcreacher
ooida263839
fed ex c c for 20+years
E6613
steve gilbert

ExpeditersWife

Seasoned Expediter

Well yes they are working for an Expediting company and are driving straight trucks... My husband finally was able to bug his way home..Finally getting here last Tuesday. He then told them he needs to take some time off.. After all that sitting guess how much the company decided to pay him for sitting that whole time.... $35... yes $35 for the entire time.. not per day.. the whole time x(. Then after leaving the truck at the shop for them to continue using... he returned Monday to find his CB bracket gone as well as a $45 load bar missing. I tried to contact the Labor board..Federal and State and keep getting the governmental run around with "Call here.. Call There" So now it's trying to get ahold of the State Labor Board Attorney to ask him/her the questions I need answered on a legal basis.. mind you I've kept track of every run my husband has made and added up all the dead head miles to pickups and from drop offs. Tried to convince my brother about how the company wasn't up to par with treating it's employees well...and I ended up with a Royal speech so bad... that I could have sat the phone down and returned 15 minutes later and he'd still be preaching the Glories of this God Forsaken company.

Ahh well he's only 25 he's got a heck of a lot to learn. When a 60 some year old man who drove for over 18 years and another who's in his 70's who drove for about 10 yrs say it's total BULL... I'll follow with what they say (since it's my father in law and my own Dad) as well as the good truckers who are out there on the roads busting their cans everyday so our daily lives can happen.

Any more feedback is well appreciated... I'm all ears. I'm gonna bust this company's chops one way or another I got 2 kids here at home I'm taking care of while hubby's on the road.

Where'd ya go.. I miss you so.. seems like it's been forever since you've been gone.. please come back home.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Fedex in Memphis is out by the airport. Too little too late? This company sounds like a bunch of idiots. Move on ASAP. Way too many better opportunities.
Based on your information, it sounds like a prolonged scam.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ExpeditersWife

Seasoned Expediter

Well..as tempting as Memphis sounds... we live in Southeastern Indiana...and the rat trap company the guys are working for at the moment are out of Indianapolis.. we are looking for something near home.. say maybe another company out of Indianapolis or better yet Cincinnati.

And an update on my younger brother heheheh........this is too doggone funny not to tell.. Call me mean..I can't help it. :)

Anyhoo.. in my last post I stated my brother had given me the big hullabaloo speech on how great his company his... WELL his tune has changed as of tonight! ROFLMAO

Ok.. Last week just before my husband got home from his Texas hassle my brother was sent to deliver a load just north of Fort Worth with a new trainee driver...a 50 yr old woman...fresh outta truckers school. They made their drop in FW then had a pick up the next day in Sweetwater... well that load went to El Centro, CA.. This is where the funny part begins....They were made to drive to AZ and sit.. mind you AZ heat reached the upper 120's last week. They sat and sat and sat. Meanwhile this trainee moaned and groaned about wanting to put a fire under dispatch's behinds to get them moving... well with this company you don't do that..or they'll stick you there till hades freezes over...without my brothers consent in his assigned truck she purchased aluminum foil and taped up every window in the truck..while my brother was asleep...mind his shock when he woke up! Well then this weekend when they had to fed-ex the paperwork to Indy so they'd get paid she insisted her papers be sent seperate... that was a no go.. then she said that it wasn't fair that she was counted as the secondary driver because she's older than my brother. Remember now she's a trainee.. new to the company and truck driving. My brother explained to her...it's his assigned truck..he's the trainer and age doesn't matter..period. Still she fussed to no avail. As of tonight they are sitting in El Paso, TX with the possibly hope of being sent to West Memphis, AR....and he called my husband to tell him he's going to take time off and quit........ This coming from the 25 yr old who just last week was upholding this company on the highest pedestal on earth...and belittled how I wanted some action taken against them...now his tune has changed...totally changed.

And I will not lie... from the moment I found out he was headed to TX I wished and wished that he would go through everything my husband did if not worse just to teach him a lesson...and by george the man upstairs said "It shall be done!" and I'm tickled to no end....:7 :7

Where'd ya go.. I miss you so.. seems like it's been forever since you've been gone.. please come back home.:7