Davekc?

JustAddRubber

Expert Expediter
Davekc

Dave I see you driver for Panther2. How well will a single drive do?
I was look at a three axle truck, will that increase profits?

Thanks in advance
GJ

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We are a team and have had good success with them. The single drivers we have run into say they are doing well. What ones version of "well" is always open to interpretation. Like any company, how much you are available, how many loads you turn down , and control costs will determine success. As a single driver, make sure you have sufficent cash reserves and don't over spend on equipment.
Of course if you are unsure, drive for someone with a truck there for a short period to make sure it will work for you.
Unless something has changed, Panther has the highest milage rates of the bigger companies. The only exception would be the white glove division of FedEx. That is a different animal as you need a truck with reefer, liftgate ect. They do more inner city deliveries and more freight handling. We use to be with Roberts, which is now Fedex and that is probably the biggest difference that we noticed.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Driver with Panther here... ina straight truck with a tag axle. First to answer your question of will 3 axles increase your profits, simply put-yes.
Dave is correct though, if you're the type to refuse alot or a little...yes your profits will suffer. Refuse as few loads as possible, thats the key. The old saying is: you gotta take the garbage to get the good stuff.
What I would suggest is getting a truck (or in a truck) that has a "liftable" tag axle. I have to put my tag down on anything over 8,000 lbs., and I've found myself hauling a fair amount of loads in the past in the 9,000 to 11,000+ lbs. range. The tag axle will make you money. When I get "heavy loads" offered to me, that's generally the range it seems. In Expediting, a vast amount of your loads in a straight truck are less than 3,000 to 5,000 lbs.
Why a liftable tag axle? well, how often do you want to buy 4 new tires? Why pay for tread wear when technically you don't really need to? Pay for the tread wear when you get the loads that require you to use that axle. Those tags scrub sideways on turns and you'd be lucky to get 25K miles out of them if you kept them down all the time. Plus, they won't help you if you're in snow or muddy conditions, actually they will impede you. I got caught in some heavy snow and had 8,500 lbs. in the box (to cross scale legally loaded over 8,000 lbs. I have to have my tags down), well I got into a parking lot that had some big puddles with ice and snow in them. I started to get stuck in one large deep puddle-I reached down and hit the knob to pull up my tags...rocked the truck some and pulled right out. I might have had to call a tow truck if my tags were not liftable. By pulling up the tags in that scenario I was able to give the drives more traction (by putting more weight on them) and therefore able to save myself from a tow truck bill of probably $200 plus. So, do my tags make me profitable-yes.
Another scenario: if you're in a 2 axle truck with a max of 10K lbs payload capacity and I'm parked right next to you...you get a load offer for a load of 10,500 lbs., you gotta turn it down 'cause it's too heavy. I just made money by simply pushing a knob in on my dash. I love it, I really do. Most of the time I keep it up though-but it's sure nice to have.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think BigBusBob is right on the money. If your truck already has a tag or you are buying a used truck with that on it, you are in great shape. You do have to watch when you spec that into a new purchase. Not only the cost of the axle is there, but higher insurance, higher purchase tax (state),and road taxes ect. If you are driving for someone, take the tag axle every time. The owner would be absorbing those costs. I would have to agree also that a single or tag axle will beat a tandem on the ground every time.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Excuse me?????

I just drove a 15000 pound load from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Shreveport, LA. I have a 1998 FL70. It weighs 16000 lbs and I have a gross weight ability of 33000 lbs. I don't have a tag axle. I'm just a plain old six-wheeler.

So why do I need a tag axle?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It may not be the gross weight that would be an issue. But at your described weight, you could be over in some instances on one of your axles. Depending on your truck and load configuration, you could scale that weight. But, if your box was completely full with that suggested weight, I would bet you would be over on your steers. Most straight trucks usually go 10,000 to 13,500 on a load. You are right there at the top with 15,000. I am assuming you have a sleeper on there as well?

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I was 11940 on steers and 19980 on drives. I made it. With loads like that, I always scale. My sleeper is tiny. That's all it is: a sleeper. I'm expecting a new truck with a real sleeper near the end of the summer. It's what keeps me going, along with the money, of course.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
very smart to scale at those numbers. I knew that if you were not over on the front, you would be very close. What kind of new truck are you shooting for? Look forward to hearing about it when you get it.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's going to be a Freighliner M2. One of the other drivers who is driving a truck similar to mine is getting one in August, and mine should follow after that. I've been inside one of the new trucks and could live easily in it. I stay out for long periods. My last break was after 8 weeks out. And that was only a 3 day break.

I've had a terrible week this week. I was in Shreveport for a GM delivery Tuesday, then sat there until Thursday when I dead-headed to San Antonio. Here I sit in San Antonio at the Flying J using Wi-Fi to stay sane. Considering I live in Arlington, TX, I could have spent this week at home if I were in charge of my time. I sure hope I have a load from here or Laredo to Canada before the weekend ends.

Thanks for asking.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Driver with Panther here... ina straight truck with a tag
>axle.

---snip---

Plus, they
>won't help you if you're in snow or muddy conditions,
>actually they will impede you. I got caught in some heavy
>snow and had 8,500 lbs. in the box (to cross scale legally
>loaded over 8,000 lbs. I have to have my tags down), well I
>got into a parking lot that had some big puddles with ice
>and snow in them. I started to get stuck in one large deep
>puddle-I reached down and hit the knob to pull up my
>tags...rocked the truck some and pulled right out. I might
>have had to call a tow truck if my tags were not liftable.
>By pulling up the tags in that scenario I was able to give
>the drives more traction (by putting more weight on them)
>and therefore able to save myself from a tow truck bill of
>probably $200 plus.

I've had the same experience, loaded and empty, in places you'd never expect to get stuck (flat ground with snow, shopping center parking lots, on grass when parked at home. We sometimes have to drop our lift axle when the truck is empty and we're in residential areas or on side streets where axle weight limits are low. It's remarkable how much drive wheel traction you lose when the lift axle is down.

Raising the lift axle has gotten us out of the jam each time. But the helpless feeling that occurs when your drive tires spin and the truck does not move contributed to my belief in twin screws.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Short of one experience, we have never been stuck. On that one occassion we were parked on a hill with ice and could only go forward. We hooked up a hose to our hot water tank and melted the ice. Kinda cheating I quess. If you are running lugs on the rear you shouldn't get stuck. If you need more wieght for traction, let the air out of your suspension. It will through more wieght to the rear.

tazman

Expert Expediter
I saw your note about your M2.....I had a chance to drive this truck along with just about everything else in medium duty out there at GM sales meeting we had about 3 weeks ago....

We got a chance to drive the trucks on a course laid out with a variety of obstacles.....
The M2 (IMHO) was the absolute worst unit I've ever driven...even the new Hino handled better than that truck....

It shifted terrible...and you could not get comfortable in the seat when shifting...you were "stretching...to downshift on the obstacle course"...even experienced truck sales guys (20 years+) commented about how awful the design was for a driver......

Bottom line is that the new Hino's will probably make a great truck if/no when they get the 1st year kinks worked out...for pure driving comfort (feels like a car) the GM 6500/7500/8500 units are great..and they have a tight turning radius..and a very short line of sight from the cab to the ground.

I'd take out an M2 for a day or so before I plunked my hard earned money down on that rig.....

Again just my humble opinion ......

Good luck,

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":)

P.S. - I drove a 18' reefer in an out of lower NYC (Fulton Fish and a variety of drops) aty night for over 2 years..it was an International with a Dt466 and an Allison auto

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't have a choice on what is being bought. I drive what I'm given. But thanks for the information. I'm sure anything is better than a 1998 FL70 with a 42" sleeper.

travis_jones

Expert Expediter
Wi-Fi

Hi--I hate to interupt this thread...but as I was reading I noticed that you mentioned using Wi-Fi...I have been trying to write a piece on truckers using computers in their cab and haven't had too much luck in getting a response---could I enlist your help? Please see post in "General Expediters Forum" under "Wi-Fi and Computers" if you're interested. I would certainly appreciate any help on this topic. Thanks.

Travis Jones