D Unit vs. an LTL pulling doubles

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am chillin out in Phx. this week on a pre-planned mini-vacation. I was so busy last week I almost hated to leave. However, I had to go at any rate as my truck was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer in a N.East Philly suburb. While coming to a stop at 22:15 after just leaving the LTL carrier's terminal, one of their trucks slammed into me at about 30mph.
He hit me almost square in the rear box frame area and destroyed the rear doors, ICC bumper, small frame extension, etc. The rest of the box appears to be structurally sound, but will probably be replaced. My double-framed long wheelbase Pete seems ok, but the frame may be twisted and will obviously need a complete alignment. The Volvo day cab knocked me about 100 yds before I came to rest. The Volvo was in pieces, including his transmission which was laying on the ground.
I thought you all may be interested in seeing why I was almost completely unable to control my direction after the hit. IF I got one hand on the steering wheel I put it between a telephone pole and a tree where it came to rest on a small rise.
Seat was a Seats, Inc. "El Camino"- and you can see it is history! By the way, outside of one large bruised area on my left leg and a very sore mid-lower back, I walked away from it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is good that you came out ok.
Hopefully you can get your ride fixed in a timely fashion. Does make you wonder how well built those Volvos are?
It seems like it was no match for your Pete.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That looks like an E ticket ride. The most important part is you getting out safely followed by a proper repair of your truck. Good luck with that.

If you have the program to do it you might want to size your photo down a little so it fits the screen and that way your text doesn't go way off the sides.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
Expediters Online.com - The Best is Getting Better!
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Unfortunately, I do not know how to re-size it. I was hoping one of our geek squad guys would do that. The US Truck body held up fairly well. I just got the o.k. to have it repaired today, and if there is enough $$ in the quote to replace it, I will have same in stock unit or take-off installed again. They say the box can be repaired and I get new doors, steel rear frame, etc. I may just go that route for quickest repairs and maybe shave it down to a 23 footer.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If the lower framing is intact, then you shouldn't have to shorten it. The box frame and sheet metal is all that it should take. They will seam the top after that and replace the doors. I would stay at the 24 feet if you can.
Is there any floor damage in the box? If so, that will have to be addressed. Several approaches onthat repair as well depending on the extent of damage.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's no biggie but maybe Lawrence or Dreamer will resize it for you during some of their enormous amount of free time. :+

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
Expediters Online.com - The Best is Getting Better!
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.