Customer service @ most truck stop restaurants...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Customer service is poor in many restaurants these days. Truck stops tend to be worse than the rest. I can't stand when a waiter/waitress calls us "you guys" or "honey". It is not proper. The poor service goes quite well with the low quality food served at most truck stops. The chains are the worst. TA's and Petro's are terrible. They serve the major food groups though, bulk, fat and salt. Their "fit" selections taste like salt cakes.

We have been to a couple of mom and pops that had good food. Funny, the service was better there too.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't know, as we neither eat at or park at truck stops. But we get great (self) service at the fuel islands.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Customer service is poor in many restaurants these days. Truck stops tend to be worse than the rest. I can't stand when a waiter/waitress calls us "you guys" or "honey". It is not proper. The poor service goes quite well with the low quality food served at most truck stops. The chains are the worst. TA's and Petro's are terrible. They serve the major food groups though, bulk, fat and salt. Their "fit" selections taste like salt cakes.

We have been to a couple of mom and pops that had good food. Funny, the service was better there too.

I believe if they called you sir you would have a problem with it. Lol just kidding.

But yes when they call me honey I tell them only my wife can call me that.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure where people get all this bad service in truck stops. Once in a while maybe but not often. What do you think they should wash your feet.

jayjay

Rookie Expediter
Not sure where people get all this bad service in truck stops. Once in a while maybe but not often. What do you think they should wash your feet.

No, I don't expect them to wash my feet, but I don't expect them to treat me like I wronged them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

No, I wash my own feet. What I expect is to be treated how a customer and a man my age SHOULD be treated.

When I speak with a shipper, my customer, I don't say "Hi Honey" (if Female) or "Hey Bubba" . I use "Sir" or "Mam". I treat them with respect. In a professional manner.

I expect the same from the staff at ANY store or service I use.

MANY people today are just plain rude. They talk to customers on a familiar manner. Many are always "distracted", more interested in being somewhere else. Popping gum or other unprofessional actions.

Standards are dropping faster than the popularity of congress. Commons courtesy is going away. People are becoming crude. The result is a society that is breaking down. It shows.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We don't seem too notice much bad service.
We're more the glass half full than the glass half empty types.
And we're usually smiling.
We've noticed when we're in uniform we get a higher level of respect.
People seem to, on the most part, really respect our "brand".
Of course, in these situations they're not our competitors, like on this forum.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its not the uniform service is fine, Los is still living in the 50's and refuses to join reality. If he took an honest look waitresses have been saying honey and sweety for decades. I am not real into being called that either but I don't get my panties in a wad over it.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The first time some cute young thing called me sir I went home and shaved my mustache off.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Its not the uniform service is fine, Los is still living in the 50's and refuses to join reality. If he took an honest look waitresses have been saying honey and sweety for decades. I am not real into being called that either but I don't get my panties in a was over it.

Kiss my grits!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Its not the uniform service is fine, Los is still living in the 50's and refuses to join reality. If he took an honest look waitresses have been saying honey and sweety for decades. I am not real into being called that either but I don't get my panties in a wad over it.

You may accept scuz as normal, I don't. The more we continue to accept lower standards, the lower they will get. People look, talk and act poorly. They don't have any self respect nor do they have any respect for others. I was a kid in the 50's. I was taught MANNERS. As I became an adult I found the more I used manners the better people reacted to me. Manners have served me well throughout my life. I act as I should be treated. I treat people as they should be. I tip according to the service I receive. People we treat me with the respect I have earned are tipped far better than the normal, run of the mill scuzballs working out there.

I have one former employee, Jim. He was in high school when he worked for me. He has outstanding manners. Hard working, clean cut, neatly dressed and now a lawyer. He STILL treats me in a way that is due a man of my age. He calls several times a year, just to say hi. He is a FINE example that shows that, even today, acting in a proper manner is more than possible. HE will get ahead in this world. It is quite likely that the scuz will remain scuz and even produce more scuz.

Jim also one of the reason our sales in my fishing department rose so drastically while I was there. He treated customers with respect. He helped them. They in turn would seek him out when then came into the store. We were able to track sales etc according to shift and the was VERY easy to tell when Jim was working.

I don't wear panties to get in a wad and REALLY don't wish to discuss yours!:p

Last edited:

jayjay

Rookie Expediter
You may accept scuz as normal, I don't. The more we continue to accept lower standards, the lower they will get. People look, talk and act poorly. They don't have any self respect nor do they have any respect for others. I was a kid in the 50's. I was taught MANNERS. As I became an adult I found the more I used manners the better people reacted to me. Manners have served me well throughout my life. I act as I should be treated. I treat people as they should be. I tip according to the service I receive. People we treat me with the respect I have earned are tipped far better than the normal, run of the mill scuzballs working out there.

I have one former employee, Jim. He was in high school when he worked for me. He has outstanding manners. Hard working, clean cut, neatly dressed and now a lawyer. He STILL treats me in a way that is due a man of my age. He calls several times a year, just to say hi. He is a FINE example that shows that, even today, acting in a proper manner is more than possible. HE will get ahead in this world. It is quite likely that the scuz will remain scuz and even produce more scuz.

Jim also one of the reason our sales in my fishing department rose so drastically while I was there. He treated customers with respect. He helped them. They in turn would seek him out when then came into the store. We were able to track sales etc according to shift and the was VERY easy to tell when Jim was working.

These awful servers expect a tip, but if I get awful service, I don't tip at all. LOL @ the panties:D!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
These awful servers expect a tip, but if I get awful service, I don't tip at all. LOL @ the panties:D!

I ALWAYS tip. If the service is REALLY bad I will leave a nickle or a penny. That way they KNOW I did not forget and MAYBE they will figure it out.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I think that's where we see things different. From your posts past an present you come across as thinking the majority of today's youth are not like they used to be. I believe the majority are and many accomplish more at a younger age than I ever dreamed of. Every generation has had its downside, the more we expose ourselves to the world around us the more we are exposed to it.

No tip is for extremely bad service a nickle or a penny is just rude the very thing you claim to disdain.