Custom built straight truck?

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I was just wondering what would be the best way to go about having a straight truck built to the exact specs you want. I see all these new trucks for sale but none of them have all the add-ons that I want. I would like to custom build a freightliner, possibly m2 or cascadia. And also would they charge you a lot more to custom build or would you be better of buying a truck and specking it the way you want? Thanks for all the help.
Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Yeah,
Compile your list of stuff and fax it to your friendly truck salesman, he'll give you a price. Pretty straight forward.

Then you order it wait 8 mos and they will call you and try and deliver a truck that is totally wrong. Missing half of the things you specified.

If the dealer is cool he'll understand your ****ed and give you your deposit back, but most likely you'll have to sue, or live with a truck that isn't quite right.

My truck is 3k lbs too heavy, wrong apu, and had the exhaust pipe routed wrong. But after waiting a year for the delivery, I took it anyway. I think A-teams truck was built wrong too but I'm not positive on that one.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The wrong apu and the mis- routed exhaust both should have been able to changed at the dealer, at his expense, if your desires were clear.

The weight ? Where did the original number come from ? Why so far off ?
You've got to be able to walk away and do it over.

That's what ATeam did. He had a great dealer that got it right the second time.

My build was very close to 100%. I had to throw out one vendor in the middle.
One phone call at body install would have made mine 100%.
They didn't call and the body is 2" closer to the sleeper than I would have liked.
They put me at 40' OAL. 2" longer would have been better.
I worked with 4 vendors. Most people use the dealer like a general contractor.
He then controls the subs.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
If you have a Shop or someone with a shop and the right tools you can buy a Generic truck and install the custom parts yourself, I was in the trailer building industry and then did truck and trailer repair, I have a freind who runs Truck Trailer down in Lake Charles LA, when I get the new truck Ill do all this Upfitting myself and save a butt load...the labor costs is what really adds up...

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would do my homework as it can be very stressful. Make sure your not overweight on your steer axle. That is a big key. Volvo trucks are hard to build custom sleepers because they are very heavy on the front axle.

Sent from my SM-N900P using EO Forums mobile app

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would do my homework as it can be very stressful. Make sure your not overweight on your steer axle. That is a big key. Volvo trucks are hard to build custom sleepers because they are very heavy on the front axle.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The big question is what add-ons do you want ?
Are they bolt-in or cosmetic, which can be done at larger chrome shops ?
ARI or ICT can redo sleepers. Put a shower in a KW Studio sleeper.
Last June ARI removed our small fridge and added this large fridge.ImageUploadedByEO Forums1388501964.389271.jpg

He said he wanted a M-2 or a Cascadia.
If he did his homework he might decide the additional weight of the Volvo to be worth it if he is interested in surviving a collision
In 95 or 96 a Youngblood had a heart attack and came across the median of I-80 near Wolcott. My buddy at Roadway hit the trl right at the dollies.
The trl laid over onto his Volvo. Both Roadway Drivers WALKED AWAY from the accident and were back to work within 48 hours.
My WesternStar got hit headon, went down an 8 foot embankment and up the other side, also 8 feet.
The truck was twisted like a pretzel, loaded @ 80,000# +/-,and it didn't even break a single mounting bolt on the ICT. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1388502371.778578.jpg

The sleeper was repainted and put on my COE.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You can lighten the steer axle a few ounces by running without a dipstick.
Thats been proven to be a bad idea.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
You can alway use tin foil box with tin support beams. Carbonfibre wheels, brakes and driveshaft. Instead of wood floor in the box use a antigravity machine

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Thanks a lot zorry for the dipstick idea now I have a blown engine. Nah J/K I appreciate all of the feedback, as far as the sleeper it isn't that big a deal as long as it has a sink, decent size fridge, table, and plenty of storage it's fine. From what I've been seeing that is pretty common now, what I'm interested in is a lift tandem axle, liftgate and possibly reefer box but I haven't decided yet. So would you suggest custom build or buying new and having everything installed. Thanks everyone.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you are custom building for the first time use a dealer that has done it before. He'll advise you against making mistakes.
Do you know why you would want one body over another ? Or have a preference of liftgates ?
The cool thing about a truly custom sleeper is choices. Everything is a choice. Walls, flooring, windows. Lighting, how much and where.
Windows, plugs, same thing. Like building a house. ARI and ICT is like building a house. Whatever you can afford, goes.
Bentz/ Bolt builds a very nice sleeper. I never worked with them, so I don't know how much freedom you have to change things. And you may not have much reason to change things.
It's. Cool to custom build. Order the seats YOU want. 1 arm rest or two. Swivel or no swivel. , The radio YOU want. On and on.....
It's also time consuming and frustrating.
Can be expensive if you want "everything"

Why spend big bucks to get the liftgate the Salesman wants or makes the most profit on ?

Thats why I built. I want what I want.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
If you are custom building for the first time use a dealer that has done it before. He'll advise you against making mistakes.
Do you know why you would want one body over another ? Or have a preference of liftgates ?
The cool thing about a truly custom sleeper is choices. Everything is a choice. Walls, flooring, windows. Lighting, how much and where.
Windows, plugs, same thing. Like building a house. ARI and ICT is like building a house. Whatever you can afford, goes.
Bentz/ Bolt builds a very nice sleeper. I never worked with them, so I don't know how much freedom you have to change things. And you may not have much reason to change things.
It's. Cool to custom build. Order the seats YOU want. 1 arm rest or two. Swivel or no swivel. , The radio YOU want. On and on.....
It's also time consuming and frustrating.
Can be expensive if you want "everything"

Why spend big bucks to get the liftgate the Salesman wants or makes the most profit on ?

Thats why I built. I want what I want.

I agree completely, what about the custom build project do you deal with a dealership or someone else?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You would work primarily with the dealership.
First you figure out your basic components. See how much room you have for each.
Pick the truck.
You would go to the sleeper people and totally design the sleeper. Take into account BBC measurement and know your box size. Whats left in the middle is what you have to work with for a sleeper.
40' OAL.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Ok, that helps a lot thanks for all the help.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Phil Madsen, ATeam, has hours of reading on this subject. He'll walk you through the process and I think he'll tell you how to analyze most decisions.
You should be able to search out his writings pretty easily.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I noticed that most newly built S/T that they are building now have ultrashift or automatic transmissions. Maybe i am just old school but i love my stick shift, is it common for people to buy a stock truck say with a ultrashift and convert it to stick shift or is this just unheard of? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app