cummins recommend oil

rrockfordd

Seasoned Expediter
Engine:

2001 Cummins ISC 260 non EGR and no particulate filter

There has been a lot of changes with emissions since my engine was made (ULSD fuel, EGR and particulate filters) Because of this, the motor oils have changed over the years.

My owners manual calls for a Ci-4 *CES 20078* oil and 15,000 mile oil change intervals. I cannot find any CES 20078 at the store so I am thinking about ordering Schaeffer oil's Moly Bond X200 15W-40 from the internet. it says its CES 20078 and it seems like a popular favorite among other forums..

I am currently using Rotella Triple T 15w-40 ( TYPE CJ-4 *CES 20081* oil) and i think it causes faster wear on the engine. what are your thoughts? should i continue to use CJ-4 CES 20081 oil?

Now heres the second part of my question. If i do get some CES 20078 oil, will my oil change interval of 15,000 need to be reduced because of the addition of ULSD fuel?

ive been changing my oil at 12,000 miles which is once per month (3000 miles per week).

thanks!

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
First, Shell is fine. Don't change it unless you can't get it. I used Mobil One in the truck and could not find it anywhere outside of Charlotte for some reason. SO I switched to Shell.

Second is do an Oil Analysis done every other oil change. If you see good numbers, extend it out a bit to see where the additives drop off.

Go here to get the OA kits and use this service.

Blackstone Labs

The third thing is get a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. I bought mine off of eBay but go to their site to find the size - I don't remember which one for the ISC.

FUMOTO ENGINEERING

rrockfordd

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the info greg. I will do the oil testing and see what happens. Some guy who has an ISC 300 (2003 with EGR) used shell rotella tripple T 15w40 and he had his oil tested. The results said he should change his oil at 7500-8000 miles. I don't know his driving style, but I know it was an RV vehicle.

I have fumoto oil drains already and I like them. It will make getting oil samples easy and without any mess. The only downside from the fumoto is that I lost the magnet feature on the old drain plug. It also takes probably 3 or 4 times longer to drain the oil. Not anything to cry about though. I put magnets on my oil filter and that might make up for losing the magnetic drain plugs. I will also be installing the ops-1 filter in the next few weeks.