Cummins ISB 250 replacement cost?

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Can anyone help us out? We have the Cummins ISB 250 in our 2000 FL70. We've experienced every fuel problem imaginable, all supposedly a result of design problems with the engine from FRTLNR.

The techs we trust tell us there is a *NEW* ISB engine where they have addressed all the engineering problems. They call it 'almost bulletproof'.

Has anyone priced out or actually exchanged the ISB, can you give us a ballpark price idea? We are at the point of replacing the engine or dumping the truck. We've kinda heard $10-13k AND THAT'S A WHOLE LOT LESS THAN A NEW RIG.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks!
Gib & Donna

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
You are correct on the problem being solved! Cummins has had a few turkeys...all of which I've owned..the 903 model in 1971 and of course the famous "444" in my 1987 Peterbilt! Why not try the power of the pen and write to Cummins corp. in Columbus Indiana and tell them of your difficulties and maybe they could be of help with your purchase of a new improved version of there product. Price wise I also heard the same numbers you have quoted. Sorry it's that high, but as you said cheaper than a new truck.

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Heh Glen,

This morning Donna asked if the techs are right, can we import the new fuel system onto our old block? I said no thinking we have 415000+ miles on the engine, so it might be good money after bad. But is it indeed a viable fix?

Any infor/ideas/input?

Thanks!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I haven't had much luck with cummins either. New ones are supposed to be better. Rebuilding your existing one with a new fuel system might be your best bet. As I read alot of the recent posts, repairing may be better than trading as trade-in prices still seem to be alittle weak. We currently are running a cat and so far trouble free except for alternator replacement @ 335,000
Davekc

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Just an update for everyone that may be looking this thread up for research - the dredded ISB fuel issue . . .

We're at D&D in Atlanta after the fuel lift pump repair from FYDA/Youngstown failed to solve our 'bucking' in 5th gear pulling a hill.

The problem now is both the lift pump AND the injector pump - the 5th lift pump and the 3rd injector pump. We'll be going to Cummins and Frtlnr to talk about engineering issues biting into our bottom line but here's the cost quoted to us from FYDA for the new ISB - completely re-engineered.

New ISB 250, built from scratch (requires 8-10 weeks from Cummins)
- $5200 (+-). Install about 40 hours of labor, about $3200 (+-).

We didn't clarify if that's with the curent or a new turbo. Also the Cummins literature says the 4 cyl ISB touts the new single rail fuel system, but not the 6 cyl. So more research will be needed.

Our truck is still very servicable so the less than $10K engine sounds tempting. For anyone reading this 'after-the-fact', I hope this helps shed some light on the ISB Fuel dilema.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Gib & Donna ;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The above issues explain why I am not a big fan of cummins engines. We to had numerous problems with them. They are cheaper to rebuild than Cat ect, but expect considerable amounts of downtime when all the other things fail. Be prepared to replace water pump as well if you have 415,000 miles. They are notorious for going out. If in the shop I would have them look at that too. We were replacing them at about 200,000 miles on a 98 model.
Davekc

PeachyPoo

Expert Expediter
Instead of going straight to the corp. offices in Columbus In, I would find out who is your Service Manager in your area, and start with them. You will have to talk to the distributor in your area. After you find out who your Service Manager, if they are in your area, try to sit down with them and talk to them about what has been going on with your engine. If they aren't in your area sit down and talk to them on the phone. You will find that the Service Managers are over all very helpful and understanding. If you don't get anywhere with the Service Manager, then it is time to start calling Columbus.

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
Hey,
I read baout you ISB problems & wondered if mine was the ssame thing.
Sometimes when climbing hill check-engine light comes on & engine loses power. Then light goes off & everything is fine.....till it does it again!!!! Also it doesn't save the code so local cummins has been no help............Thanks Jimmy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
While I can't remember the name, they have a machine that they put your vehicle on to simulate conditions. They could hook up the computer and tell you what it is doing. KW of Indianapolis has one of these. I was there buying wiper blades and one of the guys was showing it to me. Pretty high tech stuff.
Davekc

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
Hey ya'all,
Well problem with truck is fixed! All it took was a injection pump!!!
I kept having problems that I posted about & last rip to Orlando kept me worrying if I'd get back home. After taking my truck to Battleground Tire & Wrecker Service in Burlington,NC ( they are a Cummins authorized Service Center).Mike ( the cummins guy)plugged his laptop in & procedded to work on it till codes appeared.There were 3
1. wiring harness 2.turbo-boost sensor 3. injection timing.Mike checked wiring found no problems. I went home then to Cummins & purchased a turbo-boost sensor installed it took it for a test drive.
Truck ran better BUT,still had issues. So I went by Diesel Equipment
Company and talked to Steve & Dave Parks & Mike.They explained to me what they thought was the major problem with the pump.The advance piston seizing in it's bore. From my take this has been a problem since they were first introduced. So I came home pulled the pump & let them have at it.Got it back with-in 24 hours & installed it. Got done Yesterday (took my time ,tried to do everything right!)Truck runs better than it did better pulling smoother running NO check engine light issues no missing now. I hope this post will help anyone who has one of the little ISB's out. Also these men I mentioned in it are great people to help you out if you are in the Greensboro Area.
I'll Leave #'s so ifyou want to call them. Thanks Jimmy
Battleground Tire & Wrecker--800-672-3122 ask for Doug or Gene
Diesel Equipment Co.--336-273-4484 ask for Steve (service Mgr. or Dave Parks